Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Guess it’s hard to balance keeping costs down with youngsters bulking up the squad, or doing whats best for their development and loaning them out. Unsure how many can do this week in, week out, in the top flight.

This is it. Considering the lack of options out wide, and lack of pace in the squad, Taylor Steven is a good option to have around the squad - but that says more about the squad as it is. 

4 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Taylor Steven is a good option to have around the squad - but that says more about the squad as it is. 

Would think his performance is everything MacLean wanted from him, so far. Certainly wouldnt mind seeing him on the bench to come on against tired defences though, fairly quick, doesnt look scared, and full of energy.

12 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Anyone who thinks that performance is acceptable is off their head. Standards have slipped too far imo.

First friendly of the season.

Missing 4/5 players from the squad.

First time that defence and midfield have played together.

Bench full of youngsters with no senior experience.

Only thing worth worrying about tonight is the lack of depth. If Clark/Kane remain injury afflicted, and MacPherson remains injury prone, then theres not really any position that has proven depth to it.

We played well in the first half after conceding. The second half wasn't great and inevitably disintegrated further when the senior players started getting replaced by the youngsters. In terms of the players who we aren't so familiar with, there were a handful who looked promising. I was impressed with Sinclair who pulled off a few fine stops. Parker was solid enough. Taylor Steven has looked like a decent ball carrier whenever I've seen him, although his end product needs a fair amount of improvement if his 22/23 League Two stats are anything to go by. Ballantyne is a fine, safe option. I've never been particularly wowed by him, but I think he's a solid squad option to have. I'd imagine there's a big opportunity for Max to stake his claim when he returns from injury.

Elsewhere, Gallacher played well after a nervy start. Carey looked our most potent threat and will quite easily cement his place on the left if he continues in a similar vein. Ali Crawford was dreadful and should be consigned to oblivion.

Edited by The Real Saints

Both Sean Hamilton and Matt Gallagher confirm the contract offer for Hallberg has been "taken off the table", so he won't be back.

Right decision IMO, but wonder if it means they've got someone close to signing?

7 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Maclean said he’d pull Hallbergs over if he found someone so does this mean we are signing someone? Apparently GMS was say next to roddy at the game tonight 

GMS for me is a player who has struggled for a couple of years to produce any real performances 😬

Regular game time might help bring some form back though. 

We'll soon find out if he was there. 

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Our quest to sign all of the United 2014 losing cup final squad continues. 

In fairness, GMS is a whole 8 months younger than Wotherspoon. Famously fit all the time too.