Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Extra-frustrating as I think we’ve passed the ball around really well at times and it has been refreshing to watch. 

I thought we played well. The off the ball movement was causing Ayr problems. 

Finishing was very poor. May failing to kick the ball properly. 

Carey looks fitter and more involved but given the hype about his "wand of a left foot" he needs more end product. The bit of play to feed him in when he fell over the ball was sensational, and you can forgive a guy just having a nightmare for a moment, but the cross from the free kick he shelled over the bar just before the goal was awful and far too reminiscent of what he served up last season.

I feel like Ballantine, Jephcott and May link quite well, we need to see more of that in the second half and its great to see Wee Max scoring.

To be fair to Carey, the one where he miskicked it out of play, it took a bobble up about 4 inches before he kicked it, not blaming him for that. The free kick aye, but I called it before he even took it. If he’s producing though you can excuse those lapses as you say, but he needs to produce. 

4 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Poor show tonight, we are crying out for these signings Macca.

Drey Wright cannot play RB in the league

This second point seems fairly major to me. Wright has to be playing further forward.

I appreciate we're still at the bare bones in terms of fitness/injuries to the first team, but we absolutely have to make multiple signings this week.

May had a very poor game and Jephcott was extremely quiet barring a couple of nice touches early on, but there was absolutely zero service. Carey very poor. Don't think Max is a winger though he actually had a decent game overall.

1 minute ago, Hoose Rice said:

Ayr are decent tbf. :) 

I kind of felt like they weren't offering much of a threat in the second half - though that said we had run out of ideas by the hour mark as well. The goal comes from absolutely nowhere - a massive deflection on a shot that wasn't going to end up in the net.

But after that we didn't really threaten. The bench is totally bare - just young lads really.

I like what I see from Jephcott, but he’s clearly lacking match fitness and, at this point, he seems to be quite the opposite of the ‘goalscorer/poacher who doesn’t do much else’ that I’ve seen him described as.

Not sure why our best player Dan Phillips remained on the bench for the entire match. 

Ballantyne has impressed me in the last two matches but he’s obviously very raw and needs to refrain from rash decision-making, particularly when it comes to tackling opponents/unnecessarily going to ground in the challenge.

Max played well, but yes, it’s important that Drey plays in the advanced right position. At this stage of his career, he has much more of a knack for beating his man than Max does. A decent RB is imperative, I feel.

Wake up call for Macca that. From a fairly competent performance v Ayr to that. 

We simply cannot go into the league playing exactly that.