Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

37 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Yeah watching the highlights it was obvious from the beginning the lack of sharpness in the team. Ball from the kick off bobbles slowly back to a midfielder who just hoofs it up to no one in particular. The defensive issues there's a lot of individual mistakes but no organisation in evidence either. Obviously a lot comes back to the quality of players which goes back to Davidson et al but there looks like a lot of issues with what McLean's been up to 

That's our signature move from kick off 🤣

4 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

It says it all that our great hope is Ryan fucking McGowan.

Most of the time, he's been absolutely fine? 🤷‍♂️

Are people just moaning for the sake of it now?

I don't think anyone is saying he's our only hope. He's certainly our best option in central midfield. Everyone gets all excited about Phillips and a wee turn on the ball now and again. The rest of the time he's a liability. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Most of the time, he's been absolutely fine? 🤷‍♂️

Are people just moaning for the sake of it now?

It's more that we're needing him to cover about 4 positions that's the problem tbh. 

But in general he's been about average.

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

It's more that we're needing him to cover about 4 positions that's the problem tbh. 

But in general he's been about average.

Yeah I don't think McGowan is anything more than a solid, average player. But we're at the stage where we need that in about 6 positions which would improve us!

I still stand by my thoughts that the first 2 goals on Saturday don't happen if McGowan is in place of Phillips. He wouldn't be diving in and equally, he'd probably help organise and shield the centre backs. 

54 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's surely a middle ground though between 'this squad is wholly inadequate for the Premiership which isn't MacLean's fault' and 'this squad is incapable of doing better than a 4-0 defeat at home to a newly promoted League One side who didn't even start their best player, who is Dale Carrick'.

There is yeah, ive just got sympathy about how the result came about. 5 of the starting 11 have never played regularly above League One.

First two goals are just the CBs being a shambles, and i dont think he can do anything about that really. Considine starts and they dont happen, but Parker is likely to need played at some point in the league so he needed to see how he'd do in competitive games. As it is i think Parker now sits behind McGowan as a CB option for league games.

3rd/4th are set plays, which we've had issues with for a while now. Thats maybe on the coaches but youre looking at your CB captain to be organising/dominating any ball into the 6 yard box but hes turned into a timid creature who just mopes about every time we concede.

Its a horrendous result that lessens the leeway MacLean gets, for me, but its too early, with too weak a squad available, for me to thinking hes getting punted.

Ive issues with how MacLean treats the squad, as he gives them too much freedom IMO and creates too much of a relaxed atmosphere. Its adding to the "softness" around us that translates to the pitch. I think we'd have been better with a fresh start after Davidson and fresh ideas, rather the squad just hearing the exact same voices again, but the decision was made because "its worked before", so you just hope it goes right. A lot of the senior players have been off it for a while yet coast through as they think theyre untouchable.

I dont think we'll stay up this year and think we'll be relegated, effectively if not officially, before the split. I just also think there was a lot going against us headed into that Stirling game that created a perfect situation for that result.

5 minutes ago, Widge said:

Yeah I don't think McGowan is anything more than a solid, average player. But we're at the stage where we need that in about 6 positions which would improve us!

I still stand by my thoughts that the first 2 goals on Saturday don't happen if McGowan is in place of Phillips. He wouldn't be diving in and equally, he'd probably help organise and shield the centre backs. 

Considine and McGowan in there and its not 4-0, but that shouldnt be the case against a League One side. We should be able to play weaker players and not suffer that.

Big thing from the game is we cant rely on Gordon and May to be leaders.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Gordon's collapse in form has been quite incredible really. Appreciate he had a lot of quality cover beside him when he was at his best, but always felt he was the glue that held that back 3 together. Wouldn't believe it's the same player as the one in the middle of the double winning back 3

For me the Gordon issue mirrors what we saw from Ando after he was appointed captain. They have leadership qualities, but as soon as they're given the responsibility their game crumbles to shit. 

Problem is who would we give the armband to instead? Considine and McGowan the only 2 even remotely suitable, and even then wouldn't be ideal. Highlights the lack of genuine leadership and heart in this squad... would be lovely to have some of the characters from a decade ago

Don't want to be too  hard on the young lad Parker but we had him for months on loan.  He started about 2 games and then just sat on the bench,  when he did feature he looked lost..in League 2.

Edited by Beachcomber

18 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Don't want to be too  hard on the young lad Parker but we had him for months on loan.  He started about 2 games and then just sat on the bench,  when he did feature he looked lost..in League 2.

There's Saints fans suggesting he should start on Saturday. 

Based on what I seen in the 45 minutes before he was hauled off at half time then I think that would be absolutely insane. He was so so far out his depth.

It would be suicidal change for change sake simply because they're not happy with Gordon and Considine. 

It also definitely won't happen unless there's an injury. 

You probably have to chuck McClelland in to the defence on Saturday I guess? Alongside Considine? 

It’s a huge gamble but what else can we do? 

I feel a bit sorry for Gordy - I wasn’t at the game on Sat but he’s such a passionate guy for Saints and has just not taken the pressure if the captains armband well which seems to have ruined his game and confidence. 

I’ll probably get pelters for this but I would give the armband to either Considine or McGowan just now as I dont see any other options, let Gordy get on with playing and finding some confidence again

If you were to ask me what team I want to play on Saturday, assuming fitness and no new signings it would be -

Mitov

Brown - Gordon - Considine - Gallacher

Phillips - McGowan - Ballantyne

Wright - Jephcott - Carey 

It's not even close to a debate and I can't believe I'm about to say this, but it would also allow you to go to a back 5 if you really wanted to. We're just so easy to get at down the middle of the team right now, that I'm not actually as concerned by the width in the team. I would almost be willing to see Ben McCrystal get a game ahead of the likes of Ferguson based on what we've seen so far. At least he came on, on Saturday and looked willing to push folk around and be aggressive, albeit even he was passive at times, but I'll let the kid off for sure, no fault on him. 

If Carey isn't fit, I'd be throwing in Taylor Steven down that side. Whilst not very experienced, he's a fighter and willing to go toe to toe with guys a foot taller than him, right now he's got an attitude that a lot of our senior players could actually learn from. For me he's showing up a lot better than Max, Ferguson and Parker for example. OK chances are it won't work, but you just never know. The fact he was suspended on Saturday from 3 sub appearances tells you what he might bring into the team.

We're going to need an upping in level from the whole team obviously, but we need to find a way to get Wright into form, appreciate he's been shunted to right back in the games, but realistically he should be told to be direct at every chance he gets, take the man on and if he loses it, so be in, just work to get it back. Same goes for Carey, as far as my opinion goes, I'd be saying to try things every time he gets in the opposition half. Keep it simple in our half, but the moment he gets a chance to ping a call, or a shot from wherever. He's got the ability and if it comes off 1/10 in a match it's worth losing the ball for. 

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

If you were to ask me what team I want to play on Saturday, assuming fitness and no new signings it would be -

Mitov

Brown - Gordon - Considine - Gallacher

Phillips - McGowan - Ballantyne

Wright - Jephcott - Carey 

It's not even close to a debate and I can't believe I'm about to say this, but it would also allow you to go to a back 5 if you really wanted to. We're just so easy to get at down the middle of the team right now, that I'm not actually as concerned by the width in the team. I would almost be willing to see Ben McCrystal get a game ahead of the likes of Ferguson based on what we've seen so far. At least he came on, on Saturday and looked willing to push folk around and be aggressive, albeit even he was passive at times, but I'll let the kid off for sure, no fault on him. 

If Carey isn't fit, I'd be throwing in Taylor Steven down that side. Whilst not very experienced, he's a fighter and willing to go toe to toe with guys a foot taller than him, right now he's got an attitude that a lot of our senior players could actually learn from. For me he's showing up a lot better than Max, Ferguson and Parker for example. OK chances are it won't work, but you just never know. The fact he was suspended on Saturday from 3 sub appearances tells you what he might bring into the team.

We're going to need an upping in level from the whole team obviously, but we need to find a way to get Wright into form, appreciate he's been shunted to right back in the games, but realistically he should be told to be direct at every chance he gets, take the man on and if he loses it, so be in, just work to get it back. Same goes for Carey, as far as my opinion goes, I'd be saying to try things every time he gets in the opposition half. Keep it simple in our half, but the moment he gets a chance to ping a call, or a shot from wherever. He's got the ability and if it comes off 1/10 in a match it's worth losing the ball for. 

Hard to disagree with your points here.

I think Brown gets a bit of a raw deal at times, hopefully with a run of games and fitness the RB slot is nailed. Same with LB although I would be happy with that being Booth. The two CB positions are a massive concern. I fear that both LG and AC will cost us so many points this season. I was happy with AC's interview after Saturday's debacle. You at least get the impression he cares. Gordon, for me, has to be out of the team. The drop off cannot continue to be ignored. 4-6 weeks on the "treatment table" may give him an opportunity to assess his own mind - whilst also giving the team the benefit of a new captain.

Mitov is now the undisputed number one. A better keeper makes saves against Stirling Albion.

24 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

Have we actually signed McClelland?

I'm just speculating here based on the Courier comments about Jelpcott. 

They said the delay was due to (paraphrasing) the process required with FIFA/UEFA for someone under 23 transfering between associations. 

So I'm putting 2+2 together and wondering whether we'll see a similar delay on his confirmation as well 🤷‍♂️