Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 hours ago, gingermunkie said:

Different note, and only any use to those who subscribe, but the Sean Hamilton season so far podcast was genuinely hilarious.

It was very good. Summed it up with all the unknowns for the season ahead. It feels like he’s let off the leash on when he is on The Terrace. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

Edited by derektaylor84

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

Expected more of a pile-on once the figures had been released tbh. 

Nah, every single one of us expected it and just want to move on now. We'll be living with the consequences for a while but it does feel that we've turned a corner in terms of attitude at least. Who knows if that will translate to the pitch but at least we seem to be heading in the right direction, or at least as best we can.

I'd rather Saints never overspent, we've largely always proved we don't need to. But to do it to such an extent and the results being what we endured for much of the past two years, I think it's fair to be pretty angry at all those involved.

In the short-term it isn't catastrophic with £4.5 million sitting in the bank and the new board seem focused on stabilising things but relegation could soon eat into those reserves until further reevaluation can be made at that level.

Callum Davidson was still doing a good job though...

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Nah, every single one of us expected it and just want to move on now. We'll be living with the consequences for a while but it does feel that we've turned a corner in terms of attitude at least. Who knows if that will translate to the pitch but at least we seem to be heading in the right direction, or at least as best we can.

Was meaning from other teams supporters, though pile on probably wasn’t the right phrase. Couple of niggly comments on twitter aside, there’s been very little. 

That's pretty sobering stuff for Saints but glad the overall picture is still pretty good. I know there was a lot of frustration that the club didn't manage to capitalise as much as was hoped on the SC win in 2014 commercially or financially, to have wasted so much money and goodwill from the fanbase and potential fanbase after the double must be a sickener 

Edited by GHF-23

42 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Was meaning from other teams supporters, though pile on probably wasn’t the right phrase. Couple of niggly comments on twitter aside, there’s been very little. 

Tbf, we posted a £1m loss for 21/22 (albeit that was off the back of a £3.5m profit the season before and like Saints we had £4.2m+ cash at hand), St Mirren posted a £1.5m loss, Aberdeen £2.2m etc, etc.

I'm not really sure there's much to pile on over.

It seems we're in a broadly similar position to Saints - @PauloPerth mentioned a post I'd made in our thread about our turnover of players in here a while back and Kettlewell has spent the summer making it clear that part of his remit has been to get our budget down to a figure that the board are more comfortable with - in fact he talked about it at length in his press conference yesterday (and there was a fair amount of chat in our thread about it).

It wouldn't be a massive surprise if we're looking at a similar loss when our accounts are published at the end of the year given we sacked 2 managers plus their assistants and signed 9 players in January to dig us out a hole.

Obviously this shouldn't really be that much of a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention to what Saints fans have been saying although I'm curious, having not read any of the coverage of this is the loss entirely down to Davidson and his spending/sacking or have you actually been spending money on other stuff as well? eg: a contributing factor to our loss was capital expenditure on stadium upgrades and we spent £1m+ on installing a new pitch.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, we posted a £1m loss for 21/22 (albeit that was off the back of a £3.5m profit the season before and like Saints we had £4.2m+ cash at hand), St Mirren posted a £1.5m loss, Aberdeen £2.2m etc, etc.

It seems we're in a broadly similar position to Saints - @PauloPerth mentioned a post I'd made in our thread about our turnover of players in here a while back and Kettlewell has spent the summer making it clear that part of his remit has been to get our budget down to a figure that the board are more comfortable with - in fact he talked about it at length in his press conference yesterday (and there was a fair amount of chat in our thread about it).

It wouldn't be a massive surprise if we're looking at a similar loss when our accounts are published at the end of the year given we sacked 2 managers plus their assistants and signed 9 players in January to dig us out a hole.

Obviously this shouldn't really be that much of a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention to what Saints fans have been saying although I'm curious, having not read any of the coverage of this is the loss entirely down to Davidson and his spending/sacking or have you actually been spending money on other stuff as well? eg: a contributing factor to our loss was capital expenditure on stadium upgrades and we spent £1m+ on installing a new pitch.

It may have been that there was a bit of a reaction to St. Mirren’s losses that made me think there’d be one for us, though the more I think of it, it was mostly  an Old Firm ticket related pile on 

48 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

If only we had spent money on other stuff, but aside from c£100k or so on pitch improvements, it's been mainly on the playing side, with little or nothing to show for it.

Davidson was able to spend relatively large fees on dud players. I'm sure someone will correct me on the exact figures, but it was near £200k on Bair (you're welcome), £100k on Mahon, £50K for McPherson and possibly the same on Clark from Utd and all for little return, possibly Clark aside. Bair, Mahon and Dan Cleary all had agreements to terminate contracts, so that will have costed too. Not to mention not insignificant wages to guys like Murphy, Considine, Crawford etc.

I think, mainly, the mess we got into has been resolved, but there is still a few stinking the place out  so I would expect more losses next year too, but nowhere near the same level. 

10 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Davidson was able to spend relatively large fees on dud players. I'm sure someone will correct me on the exact figures, but it was near £200k on Bair (you're welcome), £100k on Mahon, £50K for McPherson and possibly the same on Clark from Utd and all for little return, possibly Clark aside. Bair, Mahon and Dan Cleary all had agreements to terminate contracts, so that will have costed too.

Bair was less than Mahon, and under 6 figures, im sure. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

15 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

😂 I actually met the bold ‘Flax’ recently and he seemed alright.

Oh he seems alright and talks very loudly about everything

I was recently at a Scone Thistle away game and he was ahead of me in the pie queue talking at the top of his voice so everyone could here "No, i cannot make Friday as im playing golf with Callum Davidson" 

Everyone in the Midland league was surprised he'd got the Saints gig so the results do not surprise me in any way. 

Really struggling to understand the decision making in regards to the spending. 

Its not as if they just overspent by a few 100k in the hope that they could finish a few places further up the league and then make the spent money back in prize money. 

They've just way overspent without any chance of making any of it back because none of the signings had any sell on value. 

8 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Really struggling to understand the decision making in regards to the spending. 

Its not as if they just overspent by a few 100k in the hope that they could finish a few places further up the league and then make the spent money back in prize money. 

They've just way overspent without any chance of making any of it back because none of the signings had any sell on value. 

Think its a downside to the "transfer strategy" flip flopping every window.

Like one window was spent big on trying to get players with a resale value, then the next was a big spend to try and get players in to save us from relegation, then a final big spend on "proven" players to "guarantee" safety.

1 was understandable but poorly executed, 2 probably a window you cant avoid forever as a club of our size and why the "rainy day fund" is there i guess..

3 was the avoidable one, and comes down to a manager not believing he can improve players enough and/or make a lot from little so instead needing players already good enough. That fell apart when many weren't good enough + we discovered he couldnt even make a little from a lot.

Steve Brown shoulders most of the blame for me, with Flaherty probably least to blame (simply because hes so underqualified for the role he got it was inevitable it would go wrong). Davidson helped choose Flaherty (who i guess was seen as a useful idiot in terms of letting him get what he wanted) and signed off on every single transfer so is close to Brown in terms of blame IMO.

Ultimately im fine with just completely moving on from the whole "era" and never mentioning it again.

The three of them are to blame. Broon for being a huffy p***k and walking away( typical ***). Broon for putting Flax in charge then giving him free reign. Broon for agreeing with Callum about giving him 90% of the Kerr/McCann transfer takings to spend on his squad. Callum for being a useless, one dimensional, grunting moron and Finally Flax for being a pushover, a weasel who didn't have a clue what he was doing and lying p***k to boot.