Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Surely it would be far too early for McCabe?

The club is toxic at the moment and he'd probably just get eaten alive.

We dont need some mewling cock in charge like Levein or Neilson IMO, fans are sick of bullshit interviews too so that would just grate pretty quickly.

If they find a proven long term squad builder then id accept them virtually accepting relegation with the idea we're back within 2 years with a rebuilt squad capable of staying up. Im not sure if Murrays that yet.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If they find a proven long term squad builder then id accept them virtually accepting relegation with the idea we're back within 2 years with a rebuilt squad capable of staying up. Im not sure if Murrays that yet.

What about John McGlynn then? He’d almost certainly take the job and is very much a long term squad builder. Also stands a fighting chance of improving you without bringing anybody in. Old, calm head, safe pair of hands. Knows more about the Scottish game than pretty much anybody else I’d say. Gives young players a chance and knows how to pick out a diamond from the youth teams. He turned us from a basket case into a competent team twice and had done it with Falkirk now too.

Edited by Enigma

With Saints now paying Maclean & Craig for the foreseeable won't managers that require anymore than nominal compensation all but ruled out?

I presume the club are probably still paying Davidson also? I know mutual agreements are agreed but I can't imagine Saints would want to pay whatever was agreed up front to him due to it being a relatively large chunk of money. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

18 minutes ago, Enigma said:

What about John McGlynn then? He’d almost certainly take the job and is very much a long term squad builder. Also stands a fighting chance of improving you without bringing anybody in. Old, calm head, safe pair of hands. Knows more about the Scottish game than pretty much anybody else I’d say. Gives young players a chance and knows how to pick out a diamond from the youth teams. He turned us from a basket case into a competent team twice and had done it with Falkirk now too.

Nah, his peak is very much as a Championship manager IMO. 

He'd have lost the fans by the end of this season.

Its an impossible criteria we need really.

12 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

With Saints now paying Maclean & Craig for the foreseeable won't managers that require anymore than nominal compensation all but ruled out?

I presume the club are probably still paying Davidson also? I know mutual agreements are agreed but I can't imagine Saints would want to pay whatever was agreed up front to him due to it being a relatively large chunk of money. 

Im sure id read someone claim Davidson had waived any compensation, but i cant remember where I read it and cant find it.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im sure id read someone claim Davidson had waived any compensation, but i cant remember where I read it and cant find it.

Probably because it's a load of absolute nonsense.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I wouldn't rule out Martindale. He has done a great job with Livi and is the brains behind the side when assistant manager. 

A bit of a downward step leaving Livi for the Fermers. 

With Stan, rightly imo, saying we will go for experience, and assuming we can’t pay compo so fishing in the free agent market, the obvious ones look like lennon and neilson? 

I honestly can’t stand lennon, he’s an annoying wee p***k, but if he was our annoying wee p***k I think he would be capable of creating a dressing room seige mentality which I think we need in the short term at least, and is probably capable of lifting the players. 

Neilson hard done by at hearts imo and capable of getting results in this league. Not sure about his style of football though? 

I can’t see us going massively leftfield and we’ll be looking for a fairly safe bet but lets see. 

42 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

With Stan, rightly imo, saying we will go for experience, and assuming we can’t pay compo so fishing in the free agent market, the obvious ones look like lennon and neilson? 

I honestly can’t stand lennon, he’s an annoying wee p***k, but if he was our annoying wee p***k I think he would be capable of creating a dressing room seige mentality which I think we need in the short term at least, and is probably capable of lifting the players. 

Neilson hard done by at hearts imo and capable of getting results in this league. Not sure about his style of football though? 

I can’t see us going massively leftfield and we’ll be looking for a fairly safe bet but lets see. 

I have a similar dislike about Lennon. Sometimes it seems the Lennon show starring Neil Lennon is what's most important and I'm not sure I can cope with all that nonsense. Macca also tried the no nonsense approach with the dressing room and looking in from outside it didn't exactly work either so would Lennon also be overly abrasive as well?

Neilson like you say has done well in Scotland. I'll not pretend I know loads and loads about him but I'm probably less concerned about his style of football.

Although it will depend what you're looking for in terms of style. All I ask is whoever gets the job he offers a happy medium off "it's not exactly sexy but it's okay and playing to the strengths of the players we have" - that's how I'd sum up TW's approach.  

I'm fed up of watching Saints play short from the goal keeper then asking the likes of Liam Gordon try to play out. That's not a dig at Liam, it's just not his strength and giving possession away constantly does nothing for his confidence or obviously the results. 

In an ideal world it would be attractive football from the back but we currently don't have players capable of it. I'm also not convinced we're capable of attracting the kind of player who can do it either at the moment. 

There's a line though and the likes of Craig Levein is too far for me. Stay well clear of him please. 

Although, as long as it's not a scumbag I'll absolutely get behind them like I did Macca... 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Just saw McLean’s interview after the match, was it really that bad? Sounded like he was probably saying what needed to be said. 

From the outside looking in your keeper is decent, Phillips looks good the rest look poor. Harsh to say but you lot appear fortunate to have more than 1 point. 

Edited by Dee Bliss

28 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I have a similar dislike about Lennon. Sometimes it seems the Lennon show starring Neil Lennon is what's most important and I'm not sure I can cope with all that nonsense. Macca also tried the no nonsense approach with the dressing room and looking in from outside it didn't exactly work either so would Lennon also be overly abrasive as well?

Neilson like you say has done well in Scotland. I'll not pretend I know loads and loads about him but I'm probably less concerned about his style of football.

Although it will depend what you're looking for in terms of style. All I ask is whoever gets the job he offers a happy medium off "it's not exactly sexy but it's okay and playing to the strengths of the players we have" - that's how I'd sum up TW's approach.  

I'm fed up of watching Saints play short from the goal keeper then asking the likes of Liam Gordon try to play out. That's not a dig at Liam, it's just not his strength and giving possession away constantly does nothing for his confidence or obviously the results. 

In an ideal world it would be attractive football from the back but we currently don't have players capable of it. I'm also not convinced we're capable of attracting the kind of player who can do it either at the moment. 

There's a line though and the likes of Craig Levein is too far for me. Stay well clear of him please. 

Although, as long as it's not a scumbag I'll absolutely get behind them like I did Macca... 

I think I recall a number of players who have played under lennon before saying he was a great manager to play under? Maybe the outward bravado/p***k-ish behaviour is for public consumption only? 

yeah I dont particularly mind if neilson just plays solid football (I think hearts fans didnt like the lack of sexy football from him) as that’s what we need to get back to. 

Dodds would be a mistake imo. I dont want another ex player (including the likes of morris) 

2 minutes ago, Dee Bliss said:

Just saw McLean’s interview after the match, was it really that bad? Sounded like he was probably saying what needed to be said. 

From the outside looking in your keeper is decent, Phillips looks good the rest look poor. Harsh to say but you lot appear fortunate to have more than 1 point. 

Sven is also very decent. If we have a couple of things to thank macca for from his time as manager its bringing in mitov and sven imo.