Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The Carey selection deep comes off the back of Leveins comments after Livi. 

He made remarks about them not being brave enough in possession. 

So he's played him deep as he's takes risks in possession. Resulted in him doing daft stuff like playing blind passes 25 yards from our goal etc. 

That isn't brave, it's just reckless.  Fine doing it in that attacking third but not in an area where if it doesn't come off the opposition are in on goal. 

The problem is Carey is the only creative player we have so Levein quite rightly wants him on the ball. However we need him on the ball 10 yards outside the opposition box not 10 yards outside our own box. I feel Levein has fallen into the same trap as our last 2 managers fell into. He’s making the players fit the system rather than the system fitting the players. Wants to play with 3 at the back but doesn’t have anyone who can play wing back is a prime example of this 

17 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

The Spranger situation is an odd one. He's prone to mistakes but that's becuase of his commitment. He improved us when he came on and was the only one really pushing the team on, and the first to come over an applaud the fans. Some of his 'dig' work in the midfied was excellent. He's certainy a net positive. Smith, Spragler, Phillips is clearly our best midfield 3.

Remi
   Keltjens   Gordon   Smith Robinson   
           Phillips   Sprangler   Smith
              Clark   Kimpioka Carey

I reckon that could easily be our best midfield, and I hope Levein is looking at using Sprangler more after yesterday because if he doesn't, then I don't understand what more Sprangler has to do.

30 minutes ago, Muirton Saint said:

That's my biggest grudge with yesterday looking back at it. Not having Daniel Phillips is annoying but it happens and to not replace him with another more defence minded midfielder (Sprangler/Keltjens), instead pushing Carey backwards is just confusing.

Yup. Refusing to adapt to the players you have is what killed Davidsons time here. Massive fear that Levein is falling down that same hole.

25 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

So he's played him deep as he's takes risks in possession. Resulted in him doing daft stuff like playing blind passes 25 yards from our goal etc. 

That isn't brave, it's just reckless.  Fine doing it in that attacking third but not in an area where if it doesn't come off the opposition are in on goal. 

Something anyone whos watched us regularly knew about 12 months ago.

Think its becoming clear no research was done into us prior to Levein/Kirk joining, as they're repeating mistakes the fans have all seen before.

19 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

He's certainy a net positive. Smith, Spragler, Phillips is clearly our best midfield 3.

Had serious resevations about Benjamin before today. He gets a bit of a pass as it's his first outing but looks like Levein's Uche Ikpiezu 2.0 as feared.

Problem is theres no creativity or goals in that midfield 3, at all. So whats the plan, they just recycle it forever out wide? Phillips being such a huge miss yesterday isnt great when he also doesnt contribute in the final third. 

I was worried a lot by Kimpiokas debut, tbh. Technique was miles behind Clark and im struggling to see what he offered, bar pace that was never effective, that May wouldnt have? 

We have Clark and May who are a proven top flight duo but who never get a run of games together.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

As for the match itself, don’t know if anyone else who was there felt it, but there was a weird atmosphere amongst the saints crowd all game. Like the support were turning on each other at one point and there was literally no support from the kick off towards the team. 

Folk throwing bits of broken seats at their own supporters certainly makes for a unique atmosphere. 

2 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Folk throwing bits of broken seats at their own supporters certainly makes for a unique atmosphere. 

Noticed that too. 

They really didn't need to smash the seats either. Before anyone claims "it wouldn't take much". It was deliberate. 

7 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Warming to Jaiyesimi the same way I warmed to Costelloe. 

Feels like he'll be the epitome of the Levein/Kirk era.

A "nearly man" who doesn't have any standout ability so gets praised for being an "all rounder" and picked based on that.

2 hours ago, Muirton Saint said:

Also, I'm genuinely curious about what they did for three weeks without a game, to come and put in a performance like that.

From what I was told, they didn't play a single friendly/bounce game over those 3 weeks, which, if true, is madness. 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Feels like he'll be the epitome of the Levein/Kirk era.

A "nearly man" who doesn't have any standout ability so gets praised for being an "all rounder" and picked based on that.

Pretty much. Gives off the impression that he doesn’t give a f**k as well, which doesn’t help. Maybe I’m being too critical though. 

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Pretty much. Gives off the impression that he doesn’t give a f**k as well, which doesn’t help. Maybe I’m being too critical though. 

He looked interested yesterday but I'd be absolutely stunned if he ever set someone up for a goal, never mind score himself.

We're going to be stuck watching a defensive 5-3-2 or 5-2-3 for the next 5 months with folk like him up front offering nothing.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He looked interested yesterday but I'd be absolutely stunned if he ever set someone up for a goal, never mind score himself.

We're going to be stuck watching a defensive 5-3-2 or 5-2-3 for the next 5 months with folk like him up front offering nothing.

What did people expect when we appointed Levein? He once played a game with a 4-6-0 formation and said he wasn’t interested in the fans or their need for entertainment. Of course we’re going to be watching defensive football but not just for the next 5 months. As long as Levein is manager that is what we’ll see. It’s in his DNA.

Just now, johnoswald2712 said:

What did people expect when we appointed Levein? 

Organised, simple, structured, football.

I can deal with shit football and negative football while we're messing about with shite in the squad, but I can't deal with another "philosophy" manager who just ignores the absolute basics and harms us because of it. Keltjens and Kimpioka look like absolute punts who hes never seen play either, as neither looked particularly outstanding at other clubs.

I'd hoped after the 3 week break we'd have seen some form of progression. Instead its like we've moved further backwards while our manager makes comments about not even knowing when we returned to training.

If he doesn't want to be a manager again then why bother coming back in? It just feels half arsed now tbh.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

While our manager makes comments about not even knowing when we returned to training.

If he doesn't want to be a manager again then why bother coming back in? It just feels half arsed now tbh.

This sort of thing has slightly concerned me in most interviews since he has come when asked about injuries etc he seems very vague to down right not knowing who is available

I have put it down to him finding his feet etc but as time goes on it is becoming harder to explain it away

3 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

This sort of thing has slightly concerned me in most interviews since he has come when asked about injuries etc he seems very vague to down right not knowing who is available

Yeah, while too early to judge Levein on performances, one thing that has disappointed me is attitude in the media – uncertain of players' names, vague about injuries, cavalier about upcoming games, lack of obvious drive. It exudes the air of someone who's half-heartedly exploring a hobby in retirement.

19 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Cammy Kerr being shown the door at Dundee. 

Can't wait to see him rocking up and down the right side from wing back 😓

Sounds like hes off to ICT, so no worries there. Zero chance we sign Rudden either IMO.

7 hours ago, Costanza said:

7 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Noticed that too. 

They really didn't need to smash the seats either. Before anyone claims "it wouldn't take much". It was deliberate. 

What was this old firm type behaviour about? Apart from the display.