Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Have to say I rate Phillips. He is a good presence in centre midfield, covers a lot of ground and is good at winning the ball back. He can be careless with his passing at times, but for the most part I think he opens up the game for others to drive forward with the ball.

Smith I haven’t thought a great deal of other then occasional moments, but I thought he was good in the second half last night. Was far more positive and looked eager to be involved.

I noticed last night we rarely played it out from the back. Unsure if it was a tactical thing against Aberdeen, or whether it was on the back of how much we put ourselves under pressure doing it v Airdrie. There were times I thought a throw from Mitov to either wing back was on but they weren’t even looking for it so had obviously been told beforehand we weren’t playing out from the keeper.

I do think we were much improved after HT. We’d been the usual waiting to see what happens team in a dull first half, but we came out and took the game to aberdeen. We deserved to take the lead when Carey scored the var goal. The wing backs actually put a few decent balls into the box, with a fit Clark in there you feed he’d relish that service. Our equaliser saw both wing backs in and around the opposition box which is a rarity.

Far from anything outstanding, but there were at least signs we’d tried to fix a few issues. Would love to see us start the match v Motherwell on the front foot.

Difference with Dan for me is that when he wins the ball you can be confident he can hold it up and keep possession - The difference last night with him in midfield compared to Airdrie was night and day. 

I'll be disappointed if he goes and probably more so if its to another SPFL club. 

Smith coming in could be a good option for midfield but given Kane/Clark's fitness issues, May's age and DJ and Benjis lack of experience I'd prioritise a striker over another midfielder.

Feel Dan Phillips does the difficult parts of the game exceptionally well then struggles to make a 5 yard pass. He's a good player to watch but think there's an element of style over substance with him. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Feel Dan Phillips does the difficult parts of the game exceptionally well then struggles to make a 5 yard pass. He's a good player to watch but think there's an element of style over substance with him. 

I like Phillips, but he's not irreplaceable IMO. I think we've lost better midfielders over the last decade and been OK.  ( McCann, Millar, Muzz, Craig for example). Yes he will be a loss, but one we can cover with the right recruitment.  A prime time Chris Millar would make a huge difference to this team - someone who's able to hold the ball and make the right pass at the right time.  

*I'm not including Scougall here @RandomGuy 

Matt Smith reminds me of Chris Millar slightly, ability to keep hold of the ball in tight spaces and link play but feel Smith probably tries more progressive/ambitious passes than Millar did.

Different teams and playing different roles but definitely similarities for me.

My Hearts pal calls Connor Smith a ‘creative winger’ and rates him highly. Doesn’t know why he hasn’t made a bigger impact on the first team.

Also talks a lot about Mackenzie Kirk. Signed a one year extension and gone on loan to Hamilton but with our connections could be a name to keep in mind

I don't care about drums either way. They don't bother me but I'm also not dying for it either. 

What does please me though is the club taking seriously the views of fans if it is something they care about. Can't and shouldn't be one rule for home fans and one for away either.

Shame the previous leadership weren't so keen to do so when it came to VAR. 

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I don't care about drums either way. They don't bother me but I'm also not dying for it either. 

What does please me though is the club taking seriously the views of fans if it is something they care about. Can't and shouldn't be one rule for home fans and one for away either.

Shame the previous leadership weren't so keen to do so when it came to VAR. 

Maybe if Motherwell fans didn’t keep smashing up local pubs or throwing flares on the pitch they wouldn’t be subject to those rules. 

3 hours ago, double deluxe said:

Connor Smith deal done

I am probably more hopeful with this signing. Over the last 10-15 years we have been reasonably successful when we sign players from Scottish clubs (Davidson, Mackay, Wright, Anderson even Bryson more recently) than when we look to the lower leagues in England. Time, however, will tell 

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Maybe if Motherwell fans didn’t keep smashing up local pubs or throwing flares on the pitch they wouldn’t be subject to those rules. 

A bit of a stretch to think banning a drum would make any difference to that kind of behaviour though 🤣