Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

26 minutes ago, Muirton Saint said:

Yeah, Cleland had the Killie game ( 1st Nov), then Levein was announced 4 days later (5th Nov), and his first game was Motherwell (7th Nov).

This is correct, however the short time he had, I’m sure he said Cleland had already been preparing them for the Motherwell game so I was giving him that one! It had a similar feel to the Killie one and we scored goals. 

Edited by Sh*teAndMuck

18 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Not really sure I get the Clelland logic. 

Macca did well as caretaker so we gave him the job... 🤷‍♂️ Look how that went. 

Clellands one game was a decent performance but I think that's probably more about a reaction from the players than some kind of Clelland management masterclass. 

Absolutely not saying Cleland is the guy to save us or anything. More that Levein is doing the opposite of what he did for a couple of games which was playing the players in their natural positions rather than shoehorn them into a set formation which I think we’re unanimously in agreement that we’re sick of and hasn’t worked for a long time. 

Levein done things early on that seemed good.

Issue is so have MacLean and Davidson, and its turned to shite every time.

I dont know where we go next really, just thankful we didnt chuck a 3yr deal at Levein!

I can accept that we have a pretty poor squad compared to where we have been, but I cannot accept the total lack of fight in that team.

There is no one out there who seems aggressive or passionate enough. Right now, I'd happily see the back of the lot of them. 

There is no one in there with any degree of creativity. So many times we get up the park and rather than be offensive turn back and eventually it ends up back with Mitov and the ball is booted up the park and lost.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Levein done things early on that seemed good.

Issue is so have MacLean and Davidson, and its turned to shite every time.

I dont know where we go next really, just thankful we didnt chuck a 3yr deal at Levein!

To the Championship, preferably.

Home Run Baseball GIF by MLB

I know I've said similar before and so have others but we need to try and play to our strengths. The players don't look comfortable in the roles they're being asked at the moment.

I'm begging Levein, go to a 4-3-3. 

Keljins Gordon Considine Robinson

Smith Phillips (Max?)

Carey Kimpioka (Sidibeh?)

It gives the opportunity in wider areas for the full back to be supported by the wide man on that side as well as the central midfielder as well. 

Gives an additional body in the box if it's coming in from wide areas. Also means we have the bodies in midfield to complete. 

A few spaces up for grabs in the team as well but to me it's players playing in their natural position instead of trying to shoehorn them into 3-5-x to make sure we have three central defenders. It just hinders us in position 

I’m not sure what has happened, but I refuse to believe that our 2024 incompetence is fully indicative of our squad’s lack of quality. I remember the away match against Hearts, not too long after Levein’s arrival, where we played some really nice stuff (albeit with the recurring issue of not being able to score a goal). There is certainly enough quality in this squad to put on a better, more entertaining display than what we’re currently witnessing. Any semblance of that early potential now seems like a distant memory.

Edited by The Real Saints

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

I’m not sure what has happened, but I refuse to believe that our 2024 incompetence is fully indicative of our squad’s lack of quality. I remember the away match against Hearts, not too long after Levein’s arrival, where we played some really nice stuff (albeit with the recurring issue of not being able to score a goal). There is certainly enough quality in this squad to put on a better, more entertaining display than what we’re currently witnessing. Any semblance of that early potential now seems like a distant memory.

Same with the game against Hibs after McDiarmid. I was very happy with how we went about things that day, showed positive intent and didn't just aimlessly lump it forward. 

I thought, maybe we've got something here but we've gone away from attempting to play that way for some reason. 

Obviously too much failure under the bridge to do anything now but always been surprised that you never gave Cleland the chance. 

Totally different styles but always saw him in the mould of a Docherty type that looked like he had decent potential to be a manager but never seemed to fancy it.

48 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Obviously too much failure under the bridge to do anything now but always been surprised that you never gave Cleland the chance. 

Totally different styles but always saw him in the mould of a Docherty type that looked like he had decent potential to be a manager but never seemed to fancy it.

If anyone is qualified to judge failure it's a Dundee supporter. 

Cleland wasn't the answer in the same way Maclean wasn't the answer. We needed a fresh start (IMO the fresh eyes have got us up to 10th from what was essentially a doomed position). Definitely an argument, one that gets more compelling after every game just now, that Levein wasn't the right man but we are where we are. 

Just swallow your pride St Johnstone and get King Thomas on a plane on Monday. 

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If anyone is qualified to judge failure it's a Dundee supporter. 

I know you're hurting but that was just unnecessary. :(

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I know you're hurting but that was just unnecessary. :(

Entirely true though. Especially for Dundee supporters who can't remember the league win 50 years ago. Finishing 6th and not putting the club at risk to get there is progress all the same. 

Just now, Kyle said:

Entirely true though. Especially for Dundee supporters who can't remember the league win 50 years ago. Finishing 6th and not putting the club at risk to get there is progress all the same. 

If you're hurting that much that you feel the need to try and put the boot in, I'm here for you bud.

I'm just dropping truth bombs. Our time in the sun is clearly over now and has been replaced by a period of utter incompetence. It's only right Derby rivals will come and put the boot in now the bubble has burst.

4 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

a 4-3-3. 

Keljins Gordon Considine Robinson

Smith Phillips (Max?)

Carey Kimpioka (Sidibeh?)

It gives the opportunity in wider areas for the full back to be supported by the wide man on that side as well as the central midfielder as well. 

Gives an additional body in the box if it's coming in from wide areas. Also means we have the bodies in midfield to complete. 

A few spaces up for grabs in the team as well but to me it's players playing in their natural position instead of trying to shoehorn them into 3-5-x to make sure we have three central defenders. It just hinders us in position 

Tbf we all thought that with Macca. Yes, not a good manager but he tried to do the opposite of what went before.  It was arguably worse than anything we’ve seen to this point. I don’t think the system is as much of an issue as we thought. Relying on Drey Wright being fit is a bad place to be. 

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I dont know with Cleland, his one game this season arguably the best but you cant judge based on that. Im sure he said he wasnt interested this time though, and they wanted someone used to running an entire football department, not just the first team, which is why Martindale and Levein were targeted. 

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Tbf we all thought that with Macca. Yes, not a good manager but he tried to do the opposite of what went before.  It was arguably worse than anything we’ve seen to this point. I don’t think the system is as much of an issue as we thought. Relying on Drey Wright being fit is a bad place to be. 

I dont think you write the back 4 off because it didnt work with MacLean.

Its "profiles not positions" that you need to think of really. So a back 5 works if youve got attacking wing backs etc., we dont so surely you play a back 4 with wingers in front who can play high instead?

But we have managed obsessed with how they stop teams rather than how we hurt them, so a defensive back 5 it is.

I dreamt last night the ownership saga was concluded the new owner had sacked Levein. 

Imagine my disappointment when I woke up this morning.