Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, steviemay17 said:

Never sure why we get precious about players like this. We're not good enough to play through teams so if we're going to end up hitting long balls

There's too much history of us struggling and just resorting to the easy solution of camping 10 men back and launching it to the big man, who's generally not mobile enough to do anything with it.

I worry he'll end up first choice as he "brings others into play", and then we go with him alone up front because we wanted extra men in midfield, then that's us right back playing defensively with a striker who never scores.

But I'm honestly just struggling to care about any of it just now. Bought my season ticket last night, and happy to just not care about Saints until the season starts again now.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

But I'm honestly just struggling to care about any of it just now. Bought my season ticket last night, and happy to just not care about Saints until the season starts again now.

Yep. An all-timer of a summer in store - starting Monday evening (Sunday morning). Hopefully July doesn’t come too soon. 

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's too much history of us struggling and just resorting to the easy solution of camping 10 men back and launching it to the big man, who's generally not mobile enough to do anything with it.

This is one of my issues with this signing. In general target men are just an out ball for bad players. Instead of trying to pass the ball and make an effort to play attractive football we’ll resort to shelling the ball forward. Only difference between this and the season just past is it will be shelled at Ikpeazu looking for him to flick it on rather than expecting Sidibe to win the header and then chase it. Small steps I suppose but not exactly encouraging 

10 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Instead of trying to pass the ball and make an effort to play attractive football we’ll resort to shelling the ball forward. 

Teams like St Johnstone can't play attractive football. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Teams like St Johnstone can't play attractive football. 

I appreciate this is sarcasm but why can’t StJohnstone play attractive football? While we were a functional unit under Tommy Wright we did try to pass the ball. Same with Coyle, McInnes and Lomas. Even Davidson’s team in the double season didn’t resort to kick and rush. It just frustrates the hell out of me that we are seemingly going to accept this style of non football 

For me it’s about options. We need to move away as a team from the past few years of believing there’s one way to play football and that’s it.

There are fixtures and times in games where a target man and playing direct can be the most effective.

Just as long as we don’t bog ourselves down with it being our only strategy.

But aye, that action in front of the dugouts that day…

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I worry he'll end up first choice as he "brings others into play", and then we go with him alone up front because we wanted extra men in midfield, then that's us right back playing defensively with a striker who never scores.

I guess it depends how much of an overhaul we're really planning, there's always the argument that we just become utterly predictable and all we do is hit it long to him, but a lot of those season we've had players just genuinely humping the ball away to nobody so at least there's a plan.

If he's isolated it won't work, but if we can get Sibideh and/or Clark in around him for knockdowns or second balls it does look potentially productive. If we can be fast and physical up top then teams will a) have to actually gameplan against us and b) defenders really won't like it and that can force mistakes too, 

Losing Sidibeh after half a season would be massive knock in the balls. I've been looking forward to seeing him convert his potential into something quite special. 

That being said, as long as he's not got a buttons release clause, he's got 2 years left on his contract. Any price we quote should be bordering on unreasonable. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I see that Peter O’Rourke is saying there’s interest in Sidibeh from Metz and a few clubs in England. 

Is he remotely reliable?

Some of the more reliable sources have already named clubs after our players this week which apparently haven't been completely factual either 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Is he remotely reliable?

Some of the more reliable sources have already named clubs after our players this week or so which apparently haven't been completely factual either 🤷‍♂️ 

Unfortunately, yes. 133k+ followers on Twitter.

Trying to tell myself it's agent chat.

2 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Is he remotely reliable?

Some of the more reliable sources have already named clubs after our players this week or so which apparently haven't been completely factual either 🤷‍♂️ 

One of these agent fed ones so hard to really tell, however he has tweeted a couple of times about Sidibeh so is clearly in contact with his agent. 

Not really relevant in any way but Sidibeh’s agent is one of the guys involved in Emiliano Sala’s transfer.