Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I am delighted that the guy who would seem to be our star striker and nailed-on starter, that we signed from the 7th tier of the English pyramid, has scored on his international debut - grabbing a critical 5th goal when his team were 3 to the good against the Seychelles (currently pushing up a couple of ranking points between the Cook Islands and East Timor).

Can we get a fucking grip here? He's looked pretty good. Fast, has a bit of a touch, looks like he has improvement in him. I like him a lot.

But top half English Championship next season? Nope.

Josh Ginnelly, formerly of Hearts, was playing regularly for Swansea before crippling himself and ending his season early.

Is he any better than Sidibeh?

This is what I mean by people playing him down entirely because he plays for us and hasn't been here long. Absolute NAP folk who support Warrington were saying he'd never cope at our level as he was too raw and needed longer down there too.

24 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I would've loved Josh Ginnelly at Saints. He was out of our price range for a reason.

Because of his physical attributes. He looked like a world beater v us because "get ball, run straight at defence" was deadly to our shite defence, but in general his other stuff wasn't anything brilliant and that was with top level coaching when he was young.

If we accept a £500k offer from the first side who want to test the waters then we’ve learnt no lessons from the Kerr & McCann Debacle. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because of his physical attributes. He looked like a world beater v us because "get ball, run straight at defence" was deadly to our shite defence, but in general his other stuff wasn't anything brilliant and that was with top level coaching when he was young.

Let's not go down the route of trying to tell me why I liked Ginnelly and why he was out of St Johnstones price range please.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Let's not go down the route of trying to tell me why I liked Ginnelly and why he was out of St Johnstones price range please.

I'm not, I just think Ginnelly v Sidibeh chat is going to end up in a "he must be better because he didn't play for us" type situation. 

It can be easy to see how good a player is when you barely see them, and easy to see a players flaws when you watch them every week.

Going to try and be a bit diplomatic here but I agree with both @tree house tam and @RandomGuy.. Sidibeh does have the potential to play at a higher level but also does at times run aboot like a heidless chicken. How much the latter is down to substandard coaching and Levein’s preferred tactics of smashing every ball forward as far as possible is also up for debate.

Got to be honest if a club offered £500k for him I’d bite their hand off but would also make sure there were plenty achievable add-ons so we won’t entirely lose out if he does go on to be top drawer. Let’s just enjoy watching him while we can though

Sidibeh is worth than £500k when he has 2 years left on his deal. I appreciate there's an element of this being a gamble for Swansea and there's still a worry the form towards of last season will be a flash in the pan, but we shouldn't just be accepting the first semi decent offer in these circumstances. We hold a lot of the cards here. 

Unless of course the dreaded release clause strikes again. 

41 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Sidibeh is worth than £500k when he has 2 years left on his deal. I appreciate there's an element of this being a gamble for Swansea and there's still a worry the form towards of last season will be a flash in the pan, but we shouldn't just be accepting the first semi decent offer in these circumstances. We hold a lot of the cards here. 

No reason we should ever have offered a release clause to a player from League 7 in England.

Mitov is a whole different situation.

Posted (edited)

Does his agent ever stop trying to flog him?

I just cannot see these clubs being genuinely interested. 

Pace like his is a commodity I know and he's done well but he's got a couple of glaring issues in his game right now that I cant imagine Premier League aspiring sized clubs just ignoring.

I could be wrong but I do think this is the agent dropping these rumours rather than there being serious interest. Although these clubs might think the smaller fee is worth the risk? 🤷‍♂️ Soon find out. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I have absolutely no concerns about this speculation. Don’t believe it whatsoever. But if he leaves, I believe Kimpioka could step in easily enough. Their ‘goals per minute’ ratios are actually very similar + Kimpioka is better technically. 

Don’t mean any of this to sound harsh. I like Sidibeh a lot and I think he’s a very exciting prospect. Just my personal opinion.

On 08/06/2024 at 10:28, monkfish said:

It would be nice to get an actual good left back. I don't think we've had one since Stanic.

Grainger, Tanser, Easton were all OK (in spells) but we're due one with a bit of class.

Have to say, I disagree. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Josh Ginnelly, formerly of Hearts, was playing regularly for Swansea before crippling himself and ending his season early.

Is he any better than Sidibeh?

This is what I mean by people playing him down entirely because he plays for us and hasn't been here long. Absolute NAP folk who support Warrington were saying he'd never cope at our level as he was too raw and needed longer down there too.

Where Sidibeh is right now, yes. Where Sidibeh will likely get to, no. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Believe there is a release clause and that would probably make it hard therefore to negotiate add ons, unless you have 2/3 clubs all meeting it and they use that as the tools to secure him.

Tbh, I'd take £500k if offered. Looks decent, but it wouldn't surprise me if next season he looked a very different player in a maybe differently set up team. If it was the old/current owners, the argument would be we need the cash to balance to books, but not sure if under the new owner we'd be needing to do the same?

Either way, nice to have a positive aspect of a good player with value. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

Posted (edited)

It does feel like Nixon has been primed to stoke up interest. He’s probably mates with Adama’s agent. Does he really know Adama is happy at Saints and feels a loyalty to Levein, or is he just throwing out cliché’s?

Here’s the article:

IMG_9782.thumb.jpeg.fd9695d42d50abd738759a089ff06c74.jpeg

IMG_9784.thumb.jpeg.1137bc9f4d826f37bf7f01184e355601.jpeg

IMG_9785.jpeg.4f94df4895285ee40b2935bf73e1b0a8.jpeg
IMG_9786.thumb.jpeg.383f87f14350d0bca24609a0cf9cd905.jpegIMG_9788.jpeg.f443b248bfab7d6f2517fdfe202c666a.jpeg

IMG_9783.jpeg

Edited by PauloPerth

Nixons accuracy as a journalist can probably be summed up by the fact he's able to unearth rumours about 7/8 different players every single day of the transfer window.

I think he used to be decent, and probably still is on certain things, but he absolutely just chucks a heft of shite out since he started his patreon page to earn money.

500k would be decent profit after a few months. We have fans saying we should take 1m for Armstrong ffs.

Reminds me a bit of when we snapped up 1m for coulibaly after a wee golden spell, turned out to be a great decision from us.

12 minutes ago, Pizzo said:

500k would be decent profit after a few months. We have fans saying we should take 1m for Armstrong ffs.

Reminds me a bit of when we snapped up 1m for coulibaly after a wee golden spell, turned out to be a great decision from us.

It would be a phenomenal piece of business when you look at it in isolation; plucking a player from nowhere, him scoring the goals to help keep us up then making £500k on him.

But Saints fans have had minimal enjoyment watching our team for 3 years. To finally discover a goal scorer who brings loads of excitement and unpredictability and lose him after 15 matches would be a downer, regardless of the profit. I think if he stays he could become a real hero here for a season, along the lines of Stevie May in 2013-14.

A wider view might be with his first full-time pre-season, start the season flying bagging goals to help get us comfortable in mid table whilst he continues to establish himself as an international player, then come January his value has more than doubled.

Obviously the flip side is he never shows the same form and you’ve missed out on half a million, but Levein sees him everyday and will have a good idea how far Adama can go and his real value.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Pizzo said:

Coulibaly with you for half a season, scores 8 goals, goes for £1m.

Sidibeh with us half a season, scores 5 goals, we should be delighted to get half that?

Coulibalys career fell apart because he made he shite move, he was banned from football for years, and mentally he seemed to never recover, not because his ability didn't justify a better career.

It wouldn't even be £500k profit as we paid a fee for Sidibeh. Although I've seen talk in a few articles now it was only £20k.

Edited by RandomGuy.

We've been making big losses and are probably still in a bit of a mess financially thanks to Flaherty and Davidson so I reckon a decent bid will be accepted.