Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Well we clearly did try and get a keeper in from the sounds of it, but were unsuccessful so it is what it is. Big chance for Sinclair, not sure he’s ready but let’s hope he stakes a claim on it. 

Yeah it seems pretty much sink or swim for Sinclair today, which doesn't feel particularly fair. He flops then Rae comes back in straight away probably with everyone talking about how he's the best option.

Guess that's a footballers career though. Have to take your chances when they come.

Really not much you can say that has not already been said for the past 3 years.

Fed up with it now, was hoping this would be a new dawn. Not sure what Mr Webb has been sold regarding what it takes to build a competitive team but this is not it 

If that's what we're going to get every other week. God f**king help us. 

That was abysmal aside from 10 mins when we scored. 

I've said it multiple times but so much over coaching going. We had 10 mins of Essels wide right and Drey wondering in midfield. It's just nonsense. We're not Man City!!!!

Clark has been absolute useless in 100% of his minutes playing deep. What did we get today? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Can I just what the f**k is this Wright swapping positions with Essel nonsense? 🤢

It's so f**king stupid how the midfield is used.

Back 3 camped in our half, unless Neilson decides to, literally, walk up the park in "support" of the attack, while the CMs burst a gut sprinting all over the place. Clark is prancing about doing nothing on or off the ball adds to it. We're then left with a gaping hole in midfield and wonder why we can't build attacks or stop teams playing through us. 

Not a single clue why it took him so long to do anything to change things.

We have so many players who want to try and be clever by keeping the ball at all costs too. Essel is brutal for tunnel visioning a easy pass rather than doing what's actually effective.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Back 3 camped in our half, unless Neilson decides to, literally, walk up the park in "support" of the attack, while the CMs burst a gut sprinting all over the place. Clark is prancing about doing nothing on or off the ball adds to it. We're then left with a gaping hole in midfield and wonder why we can't build attacks or stop teams playing through us. 

We have so many players who want to try and be clever by keeping the ball at all costs too. Essel is brutal for tunnel visioning a easy pass rather than doing what's actually effective.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one thinking it and I'm not the angry "I hate modern football" guy. 

I just don't get the point in what Saints are doing. You've pointed out a few things as well. I just don't get what the benefit is of Wright and Essel swapping around. Wtf is the point 😂 just seems done for the sake of it.

We cannot afford these stupid red cards. Really sickening to lose that goal at the end but no excuse making a challenge like that.

Why can’t we hold on, get the ball up the field and try to play in their half.

Sick.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We have so many players who want to try and be clever by keeping the ball at all costs too. Essel is brutal for tunnel visioning an easy pass rather than doing what's actually effective.

We have a lot of midfielders who seem to be totally unable or unwilling to track runners. Lost count of the amount of times that simple passes into strikers caused us an issue simply because we didn’t bother tracking a midfield runner. 

The tempo is another thing that does my nut in. Play at walking pace, then smash a ball into the channel and expect Benji to chase it. If and when he gets it there’s no support. Wasn’t until Kirk came on we managed to get Benji the support needed. 

My thoughts from today:

Generally a very pedestrian performance lacking in urgency until the substitutions came on.

Sinclair somewhat redeemed himself after a nervy start, but it remains vital that we sign an experienced goalkeeper.

After at least two years of being terrible at defending set-pieces, we appear to have made absolutely no advancements in this area.

The midfield set-up seems to be a complete tombola which changes constantly throughout the course of any 90 minutes. I don't want to see Essel on the right, I don't want to see Smith on the right, I DON'T WANT TO SEE GRAHAM CAREY AS A DEEP-LYING PLAYMAKER. PLAY PEOPLE IN THEIR BEST POSITIONS.

The team instantly looked better when Kirk and Holt entered play. They should both start the next match. Clark and MacPherson aren't the answer, especially the latter.

MacPhersons shite but he had no chance with the way the midfield set up.

Nicky Clark is hopefully just very, very, unfit. If not then he seems completely done at this level. Looked terrified of getting hurt which didn't help either.

That was an absolutely disgraceful performance.  Got what we deserved.  Motherwell should have won far more comfortably!

My feelings

Clarke and McPherson can get in the bin!

Cameron and Neilson had their worst games! 

Someone needs to tell Sanders he’s 6’5. 

Sinclair should have done better with the first goal but kept us in the game. Understandable as he hasn’t played in a while.

Benji and the 3 subs the only ones on a pass mark from me!

Get the normal stadium announcer back, couldn’t hear him last season from where sit due to the speaker but must be better than the lad today! 

Players in their preferred positions and some practice at defending and taking corners would help! 

just frustrating