Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because the referee gives them a free kick and books you.

Scales played exactly the same for Aberdeen against us as he did tonight (bear hugs at every aerial ball, pulling shirts/arms every time a player goes past him) yet never gave away a free kick all night whereas for Aberdeen he was punished and booked.

Yes but that’s another thing where we’re weak as pish.  I don’t like it in normal games but I think anything goes against the OF, so surround the ref at every opportunity instead of the placid acceptance we see.

We don’t even have the heart for a bit of gamesmanship.

I know you’re going to say it wouldn’t make any difference but at least we’d see something akin to fight and an attempt to disrupt their rhythm. I just think we look like we want to be friends with them.

On a separate issue, we have turned into such a sloppy set up off the park as well. Cameron was down injured for ages, but rather than have Essel ready to go just in case, we have a few minutes playing with 10 men before he’s ready. Who else were we going to bring on?!!  And then Essel is rushed on and we don’t have time to communicate to the players to swap who they pick up at corners and Essel is picking up the giant Trusty who nearly scored at the first corner after he comes on.

It’s all insignificant in the grand scheme of things as Celtic are just too good for us, but we could be so much slicker in everything we do.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes but that’s another thing where we’re weak as pish.  I don’t like it in normal games but I think anything goes against the OF, so surround the ref at every opportunity instead of the placid acceptance we see.

Anyone who's not the captain is meant to get booked for doing that now.

Yes, we were inept in so many ways but Celtic are at a different level, one of which should be used to show our players how things should be done.

Celtic 6 up and seeing Maeda running the length of the pitch to disposses Saints attack and the closing down of Saints defenders by pressing Celtic players shows the sheer desire for the full 90 and injury time. 

This will be the end of Kirk, thankfully.

Supporters need to get right behind Lynch, if he is indeed confirmed as new manager.

Leven now ruling himself out, so hopefully Lynch is not put off from tonight's painful vieeing.

Lynch will have a huge task ahead of him and will only succeed with the backing of the fans and time.

I think tonight's "injury" for Cameron may see the end of him and hopefully Keltjens being brought back in from the cold.

Regardless of whether Cameron is fit there needs to be a message sent out to the defenders - unfortunately we don't have enough replacements at this time and free agents needs to be a priority.

47 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

On a separate issue, we have turned into such a sloppy set up off the park as well. Cameron was down injured for ages, but rather than have Essel ready to go just in case, we have a few minutes playing with 10 men before he’s ready. Who else were we going to bring on?!!  And then Essel is rushed on and we don’t have time to communicate to the players to swap who they pick up at corners and Essel is picking up the giant Trusty who nearly scored at the first corner after he comes on.

It’s all insignificant in the grand scheme of things as Celtic are just too good for us, but we could be so much slicker in everything we do.

This has been an issue for a while and has been really bad under Levein and now Kirk. We seem to be very unprepared on these things and deffinately do not have the game intelligence to do the dirty stuff. Sounds crass, but you have Sinclair go down or something to slow it down until Essel is ready, although agree with your point, a sub should be ready to go in an instant. Should need to get dressed, shinguards on etc. Symptom of the amateurish off pitch at the club. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I did wonder about his "injury", the moment Celtic started getting going and ripping his side of defence open.

Probably unfair though.

Thought crossed my mind also. Perhaps I’m giving Kirk too much credit with not having Essel ready because they didn’t expect him to go off, but considering that management team had a constant issue with not having subs ready….

32 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Perhaps I’m giving Kirk too much credit with not having Essel ready because they didn’t expect him to go off, but considering that management team had a constant issue with not having subs ready….

It's been nice in a way to see how much Kirk was actually influencing Leveins set up/decisions. Refuse to believe Kirk would just copy Levein after seeing him sacked and wanted to replace him, you'd surely change as much as you can to try and prove a point.

Yet it's been almost identical to what it would be with Levein.

No idea how any new manager sorts this now tbh, we've a shit squad which is now completely devoid of belief/confidence alongside a lack of ability.

Scoreboard is going to look mental in the Championship, mind you.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's been nice in a way to see how much Kirk was actually influencing Leveins set up/decisions. Refuse to believe Kirk would just copy Levein after seeing him sacked and wanted to replace him, you'd surely change as much as you can to try and prove a point.

Yet it's been almost identical to what it would be with Levein.

No idea how any new manager sorts this now tbh, we've a shit squad which is now completely devoid of belief/confidence alongside a lack of ability.

Scoreboard is going to look mental in the Championship, mind you.

Who’d have thought that guys coming out of the Highland league would have struggled at the top level?

The squad is totally bereft of fight and desire. Can’t remember a window where we brought in so many players and the vast majority are lucky to be in senior football let alone the top league. Even the ones that aren’t totally shite (Kirk, Raymond, probably Holt) are just ok. If he hadn’t struck lucky with Benji and Sidibeh it would have been even worse. How anyone can look at Sanders, McPake , Cameron and Neilson and think they are the standard we need is beyond comprehension 

Levein talking about how he was confident of guiding this squad into the top 6 too - if he genuinely believes that then it’s a different level of deluded. The club need to make funds available to support the new manager in getting a couple of players in before January otherwise he’s going to be pissing into the wind from the outset. There will be free agents out there who could help and need some ambition to be shown from the club, we can’t carry on trying to do everything on the cheap - investing wisely now could save a lot of money in the future. 

Too many folk moaning for the sake of moaning at the moment imo. Two or three decent signings and this squad is very competitive in this league. It's not miles away at the minute, it's individual mistakes and a lack of organisation in defence that's killing us. A good coach and as I say a couple of good players (defender/goalkeeper) and we'll finish seventh. Bookmark it mutherf**kers.

I'm just looking at last night as the death throes of the old regime. Time for a proper fresh start.

Those leaving at half time yesterday missed the best part - the wee guy winning the crossbar challenge. Great entertainment.

l'd also like to think that someone in the club was responsible for the new scoreboard trolling the away fans by beaming out that the match sponsors were literally masons. Stone masons, but still raised a chuckle.

Didn't really pay much attention to the football.

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

So, Lynch is bringing his backroom team with him it would appear. Wonder if Cleland is going to be out of a job too? 

Feels like we always run with manager, assistant, coach, so aye there would be no real place for Cleland.

Not sure it would be a bad thing to have a completely new staff despite the "knows the club" thing apparently being important. 

49 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Too many folk moaning for the sake of moaning at the moment imo. Two or three decent signings and this squad is very competitive in this league. It's not miles away at the minute, it's individual mistakes and a lack of organisation in defence that's killing us. A good coach and as I say a couple of good players (defender/goalkeeper) and we'll finish seventh. Bookmark it mutherf**kers.

We are just a few players off a decent side, but where do we get those players from between now and January? Must be about a dozen games between now and window and if we go with what we have now, we could become cut adrift. 

On one hand it would be sad to see someone who's given us so much service like Cleland leaving.  Its some cases it's good having someone who knows the club etc etc. 

I think we need the opposite though and start fresh and get away from "We usually do it this way" as the way we've been doing things for a while evidently haven't been working. From training to the match day routine for home games. New fresh ways of doing things please. 

Continuity is only useful if things are going well. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

5 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

We are just a few players off a decent side, but where do we get those players from between now and January? Must be about a dozen games between now and window and if we go with what we have now, we could become cut adrift. 

We need to start getting players in this week if possible, they would have almost 3 weeks to get fit before we play Ross County next month. BTW do Saints have a fitness coach? If not, we need to get one.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

While I genuinely hope you’re right I feel it’ll take more than a couple of signings. We need a goalie, at least 2 central defenders and depending on whether you are playing a back 3 or 4 you then need either another central defender or a right and left back. While a fit Jason Holt will help in midfield we need a proper, ball-winning, holding midfielder. A winger wouldn’t go amiss either. Only part of the team that doesn’t need major surgery is the front line which is quite ironic considering how long it’s been since we had that.

Unfortunately you can’t coach heart and bravery into players and that is what the majority of that squad lack