Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I perhaps showed a bit too much loyalty to Davidson. Ignored the red flags because I didn’t want to accept that he was part of the problem itself. 

For me, it became harder and harder to ignore them after our return from the World Cup break. His entire demeanour suddenly went from pushing to top 6, to being safe and staying in the top flight. Coincidentally the club was put up for sale and I might’ve thought clubs pushing that as the aim, so it’s more attractive to buyers. Shrugged my shoulders and felt whilst minimal requirement there’s a chance to push ahead here. 

When he started moving away from his philosophy I started to think he’s learnt a lesson but as soon as he could he went back to old reliable and seemed more stubborn than ever. 

The final blow for me, was Aberdeen at home. 1-0 loss to a very poor Aberdeen side and down to 10 men. The county game the following week confirmed it was over in my eyes and time to move on. However, with how close we were to the seasons end I suspected he’d cling on until then. I don’t think people will have fond memories beyond that season, but this attempted rewrite at history is a bit bemusing. For every Galatasaray away, he pulled 3 Keltys out his arse. 

He lost Kerr & McCann yes, but he chose to let them go, we then replaced them with quite frankly shite. No wonder guys like Clark & McCart jumped at the first opportunity. He still had Spoony until November, and chased Hendry away, before coming back begging for him once he realised he had nothing else up top. 

Hopefully, we’re on the right path now, but I think Callum should think long and hard about how it ended here, or it’ll be the same at Queen’s Park. 

18 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

I have it on good authority that the McCann sale was taken out of his hands which he was furious about it, understandably 

Yeah, I don't think he had much, if any say in Kerr or McCann going.  He did however have plenty of say in who was recruited as replacements.  And it wasn't f**king good enough.  I could cry with pure anger at some of his signings tbh.

39 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Thank f**k.

NAP he runs the length of the touchline to celebrate in front of the away support if we score.

28 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Let's forget about Davidson and his negativity and concentrate on our newly appointed, handsome, visa cleared, breath of fresh air, Finnish head coach.

He’s not finished he’s only {Simo’s age here} etc etc

Edited by gingermunkie

At the risk of this turning into my second Davidson rant in a few hours ... I'd have been pretty much OK with the Crawford and MacPherson loan signings, under the circumstances, if they'd just left at the ends of their loan deals, having not done very well and it not worked out. It's the fact that, even after seeing first-hand that neither of them were good enough in a Saints strip, Davidson still handed them both permanent deals, and even ended up paying a fee for MacPherson. I'm not sure anything is more mind-blowing than the fact that we're now a couple of months away from it being 2025 and MacPherson is still here.

I was going to go on to moan about the handling of Melamed, Vertainen, Bair, Olaofe, Solomon-Otabor, Hector-Ingram and Mahon, and mention that he didn't even want to play Rooney until he was forced to because McNamara was recalled by Millwall, but I think I need to stop before I just cause myself pain.

29 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

At the risk of this turning into my second Davidson rant in a few hours ... I'd have been pretty much OK with the Crawford and MacPherson loan signings, under the circumstances, if they'd just left at the ends of their loan deals, having not done very well and it not worked out. It's the fact that, even after seeing first-hand that neither of them were good enough in a Saints strip, Davidson still handed them both permanent deals, and even ended up paying a fee for MacPherson. I'm not sure anything is more mind-blowing than the fact that we're now a couple of months away from it being 2025 and MacPherson is still here.

I was going to go on to moan about the handling of Melamed, Vertainen, Bair, Olaofe, Solomon-Otabor, Hector-Ingram and Mahon, and mention that he didn't even want to play Rooney until he was forced to because McNamara was recalled by Millwall, but I think I need to stop before I just cause myself pain.

I wondered at the time if the 'family reasons', which Dan Cleary had his contract terminated for, was also partially down to Davidson.

Did he not sign for Shamrock Rovers on the same day he left?

I see that, once again, he played the whole match in the European Conference League last night.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

This is the last season for Cami.

100%

Still remember thinking his Debut, he’s a little bit ropey, but young enough to make an impact. 

f**king hell the naivety of youth. 

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

This is the last season for Cami.

100%

Knowing our luck we'll punt him to Queens Park in January, he'll score a deflected goal in the playoffs to get them up and he and CD can hailed as outstanding talents that we were just too greedy to appreciate 

55 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

I wondered at the time if the 'family reasons', which Dan Cleary had his contract terminated for, was also partially down to Davidson.

I see that, once again, he played the whole match in the European Conference League last night.

There were issues with his young son iirc

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Don't want to be the Davidson defender but on this occasion the reason Cleary left wasn't down to football reasons at all. He might still have not liked him though 🤣

Family reasons that stopped them moving here that also meant he either wanted to or needed to be at home more often to support. 

Not ITK or anything but based on the story I heard you really couldn't blame him for wanting to go back over there. 

2 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Sorry, that's unfounded speculation. In a case like that, you have to respect the player's decision.