Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Never heard of the lad but welcome to Saints 

More of a full back or centre back? 

Left footed CB seemingly.

30 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

You do appreciate the difference between 'can afford' and 'choose to buy'? The fact that we can afford players but never actually use that to our advantage is a perennial moan from Saints fans, but it keeps us solvent.

As for the rest, only time will tell. Genuinely wish the lad well and a move to a higher division is the only way to find out if he's a flat track bully or a real prospect. Would be interested to know where you think these bigger league clubs are that are likely to give a Scottish Championshp striker a run of starts? 

This is basically the same chat with an Ayr fan last year. Since then Shankland has played for Scotland and might get a 3million move to Stoke

8 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I'm just waiting for the Vihmann returning to his parent club announcement!

Has there been a weirder St Johnstone signing than this in recent years? I cant think of one since Nick McKoy although most of his weirdness was post Saints

Just now, Doctor said:

Never heard of the lad but welcome to Saints 

More of a full back or centre back? 

Centre. Seems to be well thought of at ICT. 

Expect he'll be starting if we're 3 at the back, leaving Tanser and Booth as wing-back options until the end of the season. Not sure if he'd necessarily start ahead of Booth at LB in a 4, but he could certainly cover it. 

RB is much more of a problem position. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Has there been a weirder St Johnstone signing than this in recent years? I cant think of one since Nick McKoy although most of his weirdness was post Saints

But had the potential to be a golden signing.  A huge Estonian, 'The V-man.    Worth a gamble, pity it failed.

9 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Joe Gormley is an equally weird one that springs to mind... Probably because he was on the TV last night. 

Can't think of any other such odd ones though. 

11 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Centre. Seems to be well thought of at ICT. 

Expect he'll be starting if we're 3 at the back, leaving Tanser and Booth as wing-back options until the end of the season. Not sure if he'd necessarily start ahead of Booth at LB in a 4, but he could certainly cover it. 

RB is much more of a problem position. 

RB next and I think we're sorted at the back, which was a huge problem the whole season so far.

Youd have Tanser/Booth for LB, then youd have Kerr/Gordon/McCart/Booth/Duffy as CB options, then Ralston and a new RB for that spot.

Think that's pretty decent. Duffy not looked great so far but he was thrown in well before he was ready.

1 minute ago, saint pogo said:

This is basically the same chat with an Ayr fan last year. Since then Shankland has played for Scotland and might get a 3million move to Stoke.

That's true, and of course players have moved up before. 

Point is though that at 24 Shankland is still in the Championship (albeit he's with by far the best in that division and guaranteed Premiership football next year at worst) and one time he moved up it didn't go very well. 

Nisbet is a youngish striker on a good run of form for a mid-table Championship team. I just think it's odd when people not only get incredibly frothy when that happens, and start claiming that they're obviously too big/too good for a bottom-six/mid-table Premiership team.  These guys might be worldbeaters, great if they are, but all just seems rather premature. As I said, only time will tell and if he takes a move to English League 1 and ends up building up to a glittering career I'll be delighted for the lad. 

If he stays in Scotland, he's unlikely to get much game time at any of the current top 6 so I just don't see why you would write off the likes Saints or Kilmarnock as a viable move. If he's that good he'll get his big move to the English Championship pretty quickly, or get a move to a bigger Scottish team. 

31 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

That's true, and of course players have moved up before. 

Point is though that at 24 Shankland is still in the Championship (albeit he's with by far the best in that division and guaranteed Premiership football next year at worst) and one time he moved up it didn't go very well. 

Nisbet is a youngish striker on a good run of form for a mid-table Championship team. I just think it's odd when people not only get incredibly frothy when that happens, and start claiming that they're obviously too big/too good for a bottom-six/mid-table Premiership team.  These guys might be worldbeaters, great if they are, but all just seems rather premature. As I said, only time will tell and if he takes a move to English League 1 and ends up building up to a glittering career I'll be delighted for the lad. 

If he stays in Scotland, he's unlikely to get much game time at any of the current top 6 so I just don't see why you would write off the likes Saints or Kilmarnock as a viable move. If he's that good he'll get his big move to the English Championship pretty quickly, or get a move to a bigger Scottish team. 

Agree with you that a step up is not to be sneezed at as everyone has to prove themselves at a higher level.  My point was more that the majority of comments on here were that we shouldn't take the gamble on paying money for a championship striker, no matter how well they were performing.  At the time it was a running battle between Shankland and Dobbie to see how ridiculous their scoring record for the season could be. The Ayr supporter was ridiculed for suggesting that he would be a sure bet.  Now, Shankland was sensible and chose United who would give him a very good platform to improve in side that was likely to get promoted and with stature that he would be noticed further.  Nisbet, though I have not seen anything of him sounds like he is in the same mould.  Talented, but having to come through a learning curve, and once having done so can fulfill a degree of potential.  If he follows Shankland's baby steps then Saints could be the next port for him.   A gamble for us yes but one I think worth looking at.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

How?

Nisbet this season as 22yo - Goal every 110 minutes

Kane at 19yo for Dumbarton - Goal every 123 minutes

Kane also had more assists in less games.

So why is Nisbet apparently a better prospect than Kane was?

Because Kane has never done it consistently for any period of time, I'm sure if you know how his goal per minutes ratio as a 19 year old you'll know it for when he was last in the division? He must've been around 22 by that time aswell you'd think? 

Allot can change in 6 years, players can develop at different rates and others can fall away, I'm sure Chris Kane was great in 2014, but that's hardly relevant right now is it? 

Of course even going away from the stats, which Nisbet's are better, anyone with eyes could tell that he is a far better player. 

11 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

Agree with you that a step up is not to be sneezed at as everyone has to prove themselves at a higher level.  My point was more that the majority of comments on here were that we shouldn't take the gamble on paying money for a championship striker, no matter how well they were performing.  At the time it was a running battle between Shankland and Dobbie to see how ridiculous their scoring record for the season could be. The Ayr supporter was ridiculed for suggesting that he would be a sure bet.  Now, Shankland was sensible and chose United who would give him a very good platform to improve in side that was likely to get promoted and with stature that he would be noticed further.  Nisbet, though I have not seen anything of him sounds like he is in the same mould.  Talented, but having to come through a learning curve, and once having done so can fulfill a degree of potential.  If he follows Shankland's baby steps then Saints could be the next port for him.   A gamble for us yes but one I think worth looking at.

Fair enough. We're on the same page. 

My comment was in reaction to the Dunfermline guy's idea that somehow Saints wouldn't be a big enough move for the boy, and that we couldn't afford him. Both points being patent nonsense. 

I think that he would be a reasonable gamble in a position we need to strengthen. 

The Shankland case is interesting in that I don't think he would have got in the national squad if he'd come to Saints. Having a great year at the top Championship team will be doing his confidence wonders and (*checks score in cup replay*) it looks like he's proving over 2 legs that he can score against a Premiership defence. 

Just now, Grant228 said:

Because Kane has never done it consistently for any period of time...

Has Nisbet? Well done to him scoring in the seaside league and all, but he only has one decent 6 months, at a decent level, by the age of 22 after having a breakthrough season 4 years ago.

The point was that Nisbet would be a risk as hes completely unproven at the top level, and we've already seen with Kane, who at a younger age than Nisbet had an equally impressive half season, that it doesn't always translate once you go up a tier.

I understand you're all frothy about Nisbet and convincing yourself he'll be a star though.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

9 times out of 10 that's not what drives the decision. I say this all the time. This myth he'd pick Saints because he's going to be guaranteed a game isn't as appealing as Saints fans seem to believe.  

If he gets an offer of say 3 year deal at say Hibs for 2.5k a week but he's told he'll be coming in as cover or for arguments sake 1.5k 2 year deal at Saints but is told he'll be first choice. 

I know where he's going and it's not Saints....

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.