Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Geoff brought up a share issue from 34 years ago as a reason not to explore fan ownership further in fairness. It's all as relevant as each other.
It's not just the six years thing. People just make crap up.
They didn't sell a single season ticket off the back of the Cup win (RandomGuy). How would he know that?
It's universally accepted that they fucked up with not having a push on season tickets after the Cup win (Jamamavegan).
How would he know that?
We lost out on 5000 season ticket sales (Mr Heliums)
That one is just ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, The Marly said:

It's not just the six years thing. People just make crap up.
They didn't sell a single season ticket off the back of the Cup win (RandomGuy). How would he know that?
It's universally accepted that they fucked up with not having a push on season tickets after the Cup win (Jamamavegan).
How would he know that?
That one is just ridiculous.

No disagreement from me there.

I think the 'cock up' 6 years ago was compounded by us not signing anyone all summer, and then Brown coming out and saying that if anyone had a spare £150,000 to offer, he'd go out and make the signings. An extra 500 adult season tickets would've been the £150,000 and I don't think that would've been unreachable after the cup win if we'd really pushed. The additional European match against Spartak Trnava could have accounted for that too, given no one expected us to get through against Luzern. This is all in the past though and we ended up finishing 4th in the league the next season anyway, but transfer windows can be especially demoralising when you support St Johnstone. He does a great job behind the scenes and deserves all the praise in the world for the position the club is in, but sometimes he does bring unnecessary negativity when the skies are looking blue for us.

Wright's interview in the Courier this morning effectively says the same thing but with a positive spin on it. He praises Brown as cash reserves have increased during his chairmanship, talks up his players and does mention that there will be losses but that we needed to invest in our sellable assets to ensure they remained at the club and that some of those losses have been offset with our activities in January. He mentioned there will be a budget cut but says it wont be to the detriment to the team, so presumably some of the expensive deadwood wont be replaced like for like, as I think most of us have speculated already. I don't know if McLaughlin at the BBC just asked for an interview on the spot and Brown agreed to it or if it was pre-planned but that could explain the tone of it. If he'd had a better chance to prepare, perhaps it would've been put across differently.

Edit:

For any Saintee or otherwise who hasn't seen Wright's interview this morning, here it is in the link below;

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1160836/tommy-wright-st-johnstone-steve-brown-shaun-rooney/

Edited by Kyle

25 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I said they didnt sell a single ticket directly from taking details for Cup Final tickets, or from the Cup parade the next day. That's a fact.

Realistically everyone who got a ticket shouldve been getting emails about season tickets from the point they handed over details, and there shouldve been season ticket packets handed out/a stall, next to the concert hall the next day.

I think the 'cock up' 6 years ago was compounded by us not signing anyone all summer, and then Brown coming out and saying that if anyone had a spare £150,000 to offer, he'd go out and make the signings. An extra 500 adult season tickets would've been the £150,000 and I don't think that would've been unreachable after the cup win if we'd really pushed. The additional European match against Spartak Trnava could have accounted for that too, given no one expected us to get through against Luzern. This is all in the past though and we ended up finishing 4th in the league the next season anyway, but transfer windows can be especially demoralising when you support St Johnstone. He does a great job behind the scenes and deserves all the praise in the world for the position the club is in, but sometimes he does bring unnecessary negativity when the skies are looking blue for us.
Wright's interview in the Courier this morning effectively says the same thing but with a positive spin on it. He praises Brown as cash reserves have increased during his chairmanship, talks up his players and does mention that there will be losses but that we needed to invest in our sellable assets to ensure they remained at the club and that some of those losses have been offset with our activities in January. He mentioned there will be a budget cut but says it wont be to the detriment to the team, so presumably some of the expensive deadwood wont be replaced like for like, as I think most of us have speculated already. I don't know if McLaughlin at the BBC just asked for an interview on the spot and Brown agreed to it or if it was pre-planned but that could explain the tone of it. If he'd had a better chance to prepare, perhaps it would've been put across differently.

Edit:

For any Saintee or otherwise who hasn't seen Wright's interview this morning, here it is in the link below;

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1160836/tommy-wright-st-johnstone-steve-brown-shaun-rooney/
Can't argue with anything you have said. There were clearly errors, but some of the hyperbole and lies that people spout get a bit wearing.
Tommy's interview is great, hopefully he gives wee Broon some training.
He's right to talk things up, there's a lot to be proud of at the club.
I'm not convinced by his "best squad I've ever had " schtick though. Other than McCann for Dunne, I'm not sure I'd have many of today's lot in the Cup Final team.

It's not really. Literally all that holds St Johnstone back is a lack of fans. They had 15,000 people buy tickets from the club for the Cup win, then thousands at the event the next day, and didnt gain a single season ticket sale directly from that. They didnt store any details of fans who bought tickets, nor hand out a single season ticket packet the next day.
Even 1000 more fans at home games would make a substantial difference to the club. Instead they allowed that huge opportunity to pass them by, and we'll inevitably slip back to being a yo-yo side as the change to really progress was gone.
Here's what you said@RandomGuy. Nothing about "taking details", just made up shite.

Just now, The Marly said:

Here's what you said@RandomGuy. Nothing about "taking details", just made up shite.

Can you read? I literally say "they didnt store any details of fans who bought tickets" in that post.

Can you read? I literally say "they didnt store any details of fans who bought tickets" in that post.
And how exactly were they meant to take details of everyone at the event the next day? You keep banging on about that too.
How about taking a fucking break from slagging off everything about Saints and give it a fucking rest? It was six years ago you annoying fucking idiot.

4 minutes ago, The Marly said:

And how exactly were they meant to take details of everyone at the event the next day? 

I've never said they should?

I said they shouldve taken details from everyone who bought tickets. And that they should've had season ticket packages handed out at the parade.

Please learn to read before slavering all over my posts pls.

Edit:

I thought this was a brilliant interview from Wright. Tried to lift the gloom that had descended without being unrealistic, positive without being irrational. Think it was one of his best interviews.

6 minutes ago, Bose said:

I thought this was a brilliant interview from Wright. Tried to lift the gloom that had descended without being unrealistic, positive without being irrational. Think it was one of his best interviews.

Couldn't agree more. It's pitch perfect. Even managed to sneak confirmation of a new signing in at the bottom. We all knew about it already but still good that it's come from someone inside the club.

7 minutes ago, Bose said:

And it's likely the take of most rational Saints fans. There really wasn't any need for Broon to come out with his effort. Unless of course he's on the banter page and felt the need to engage...

51 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I didn't say that. If you read my post I said I didn't think we missed out on many season ticket sales that year. My point was that even if we had gained that many extra season ticket sales, we'd have lost them in the years following. In other words, what happened six years ago isn't worth regurgitating.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

And it's likely the take of most rational Saints fans. There really wasn't any need for Broon to come out with his effort.

Brown had a right to set the record straight against Tommy's January rant.

His reaction was pretty mild. Imagine Tommy's reaction if a player had questioned the club in the same way he had?

10 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Brown had a right to set the record straight against Tommy's January rant.

His reaction was pretty mild. Imagine Tommy's reaction if a player had questioned the club in the same way he had?

He did that a few days after Tommys rant by saying he knows what Tommy's like, he gets a bit excitable. 

There is no excusing the way Steve went about that interview, it makes no sense at all to focus on doom and gloom, especially when we are on a decent run, with a multitude of assets. Sure we know we will lose money this year but there are several top earners out of contract in a few months who we all know aren't being renewed.

1 hour ago, The Marly said:

And how exactly were they meant to take details of everyone at the event the next day? You keep banging on about that too.
How about taking a fucking break from slagging off everything about Saints and give it a fucking rest? It was six years ago you annoying fucking idiot.

There was a few hundred people outside McDiarmid when the bus left with the trophy. 

"Sign up for our season ticket updates here"

Whether that's email or to be sent out a pack to take one out or whatever that would be up to the club and what was best for them. If they did it by email, it would cost them next to nothing. 

FYI: the only annoying fucking idiot is you. You've been a happy clapping greeting faced b*****d for days every time someone said something that suggested improvements could be made. "Stop slagging the club it was years ago 😭😭😭😭". 

You'd be the first person to say "things aren't so bad now, I remember when we were shit'. Guess what that was fucking years ago to but that excuse seems to be accepted by most. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.