Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just go on their forums. 
Majority seem to think we're about to enter administration and they can sign our players for nothing, seems a common held view amongst most other fanbases tbf, who seem to be reading the headline and nothing else.
Steve Browns a fanny.
Steve Brown's a top troll if this is true [emoji23]

Have I missed an interview, or is this all just about the article in the courier and the BBC sport one?

If it is then I am a bit bewildered by the reaction of Saints fans here.  Is it that big a deal?

The pair of them have regularly run to the media to air their grievances about one another. They should just meet at McDiarmid and try discussing it face to face instead of the way they do it in the public domain.

But Wright's comments in January, after all the backing he's received, and the way he spunked wages on players he never picks, and threw our League Cup challenge in the bin, were a lot more ridiculous than the recent ones from the chairman, who obviously feels the need to defend the club when the best option would have been to stay quiet.

Have I missed an interview, or is this all just about the article in the courier and the BBC sport one?
If it is then I am a bit bewildered by the reaction of Saints fans here.  Is it that big a deal?
The pair of them have regularly run to the media to air their grievances about one another. They should just meet at McDiarmid and try discussing it face to face instead of the way they do it in the public domain.
But Wright's comments in January, after all the backing he's received, and the way he spunked wages on players he never picks, and threw our League Cup challenge in the bin, were a lot more ridiculous than the recent ones from the chairman, who obviously feels the need to defend the club when the best option would have been to stay quiet.
As much a Tommy fan as I am, I can't disagree with any of this.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

"We went for it at the start of the season - we thought we could get into the top six and have a cup run but we just haven't performed and that leaves a huge financial gap and concerns.''

Sorry, but that is an absolutely outrageous thing for a chairman to say when his club have only just reached the Scottish Cup quarter-finals and are within touching distance of the top six.  

54 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Did he defend the club though? He’s tried to defend himself. He’s basically said the team are underperforming, when we’re on our best run in a long time, and the squad is coming together nicely with plenty of young players playing starring roles.
He’s painted the club extremely negatively in that interview, if his intention was to defend it he’s gone about it in a terrible manner. 

I genuinely don't know if he's speaking from a personal point of view or for the club.  I also don't know if he's just answered questions that have been put to him by an interviewer, or if he's gone actively looking to get his story across.  I didn't pick it up that he's saying the team are underperforming the same way you did, I read it that he's justifying why he feels we're forced to give The OF three stands; because we budgeted for top six with our recruitment of players and we're covering those potential losses.  Maybe I'm being naive here though.

Tommy Wright is a brilliant manager for us, and I never once doubted him even in our bad spell, but I never liked it when Lomas brought up our limited budget in every post match interview as a way of having a dig at the club, and no matter how much a legend Tommy is I hope he's not going to start that shite every window as well as a way of forcing the club to go way outwith our budget.  

It would seem a little ungrateful of a manager who has been backed to that extent on the premise that we'll get a Cup run and top six, and we're falling well short (at the winter break) who then slags the club off in the press in January purely to get even more money to spend. I suppose from a manager it's a good tactic as the fans will always back you, especially when you're as much a legend as Tommy is.  But I can understand why the chairman/ board would have been pissed off about it.

But yes, as a chairman, you've probably just got to accept that you're always going to be the unpopular one, and are best just to stay quiet, especially when things appear to be on the up.

50 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

"We went for it at the start of the season - we thought we could get into the top six and have a cup run but we just haven't performed and that leaves a huge financial gap and concerns.''

Sorry, but that is an absolutely outrageous thing for a chairman to say when his club have only just reached the Scottish Cup quarter-finals and are within touching distance of the top six.  

Agree, the timing is ridiculous.

As I said, I wish the pair of them would stop this public airing of petty squabbling.

The remarks about his successor not being family are fine but I'd like to think there's some strategy behind it in terms of finding a replacement and a clear plan of what happens to the shareholding. Half a story doesn't really help anyone.

2 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

There are increasing similarities with Eddie/Stephen here.

That's a fair point, got to say. I've always felt Steve is chairman because he feels he has to be due to his Dad, not because he wants to be. He's a PR disaster to be honest, the timing of all this is inexplicable.

The irony is of course he's presided over such a successful period. And despite his mumping and moaning (and I've no doubt it's been a lot of hard work), the club will have recorded a cumulative profit (over £400k) since his first set of accounts in 2012.

He should be getting all the praise going but instead just brings this on himself. I doubt anyone enjoys sticking the boot in and there is an element of it feeling like being ungrateful but you have to help yourself and he doesn't do it at all.

Stephen Thompson resented United as his inheritance had been pumped in there, and his sole objective once he took charge was getting that back. 

I think Steve Brown just doesnt enjoy certain aspects of owning a club but hes never going to try and harm it, so comparisons to Thompson isnt fair nor accurate.

Hes made it clear a lot in the past he doesnt want his kids involved, so theres nothing knew there, and I think most Saints fans were aware that cuts would be coming as the squad does look bloated with high earners this season. I'm not entirely sure why hes even having these interviews.

Edited by RandomGuy.

It's frustrating, no doubts about it. Steve Brown is just one of these glass half empty guys, always negative. There's plenty of them out there and there really is no need, we can all be cautious and see the negatives in situations, it does no one any good to shout these negatives from the rooftops. Positivity breeds positivity.

I think the frustrating thing is most of us can see the positives and to grow our fanbase we should have a leader shouting these things, so in short aye Steve, shut the f**k up and let me buy the club you c**t.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stephen Thompson resented United as his inheritance had been pumped in there, and his sole objective once he took charge was getting that back. 

I think Steve Brown just doesnt enjoy certain aspects of owning a club but hes never going to try and harm it, so comparisons to Thompson isnt fair nor accurate.

Hes made it clear a lot in the past he doesnt want his kids involved, so theres nothing knew there, and I think most Saints fans were aware that cuts would be coming as the squad does look bloated with high earners this season. I'm not entirely sure why hes even having these interviews.

Possibly however from the outside looking in it looks clear he would rather be out in the relatively near future.  I don’t think Stephen Thompson wanted out from the start - all the chaotic stuff came in the years when he wanted out and realised no-one was going to give him the money he felt he was owed.  

26 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Possibly however from the outside looking in it looks clear he would rather be out in the relatively near future.  I don’t think Stephen Thompson wanted out from the start - all the chaotic stuff came in the years when he wanted out and realised no-one was going to give him the money he felt he was owed.  

Steve Brown is nothing like Thompson. Brown is just a depressing guy who's shite at PR. Thompson is a complete fanny, a total no-righter who has a penchant for the colour orange, that's weird.

Was it Geoff or Steve who was unhappy about qualifying for Europe? His main gripe, as I recall, was that it involved the expense of chartering a flight for the fans. It remains one of the oddest things I’ve heard a chairman say, alongside that Kilmarnock guy’s letter to the fans.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Was it Geoff or Steve who was unhappy about qualifying for Europe? His main gripe, as I recall, was that it involved the expense of chartering a flight for the fans. It remains one of the oddest things I’ve heard a chairman say, alongside that Kilmarnock guy’s letter to the fans.

That was Steve. Everyone was buzzing that we'd managed to get over the line, got back in the car and there he was on the radio complaining that it was a hindrance.