Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Broon_100 said:

Now linked with Melker Hallberg at Hibs. Don't recall him ever standing out?

Key for me with this is the player's commitment. 

I think the short-term nature of the Ciftci deal suits everyone but I wouldn't be so comfortable with Hallberg only being here until the summer. We need him to have skin in the game. 

Intial impression is he won't have the defensive side that McCann offered but are we ever going to find that? Will add some legs though hopefully which is almost as important.

Positives: Good age, experience of the league, seems an energetic type which we badly need, isn't Cammy MacPherson

Negatives: Seems like a jack of all trades type who will simply provide a base for others rather than being the catalyst, hasn't played this season due to a serious knee injury, likely short of sharpness

Happy to go with the clubs judgement on this one. I can see both sides of it. If they think he's motivated to fight to turn our season around then it's worth a go, if not then make sure there's not another option before you dive in. 

Would be happy with this if it’s either a permanent deal OR a loan where we have a realistic chance/something at semi agreed where he’ll come permanently in the summer if this goes well. We don’t need more players here to get their fitness up in the middle of a relegation battle.

For me Hallberg actually had a couple of decent games in the middle with Newell in the earlier parts of last season. He doesn't really add anything to a three man midfield in my view, but alongside another versatile jack of all trades type he's more than competent. 

I don't think he'd be battering down the door to get into the Hibs team now but he's gradually improved over the piece with us, and as I say I think if you give him enough responsibility he's capable enough. 

I thought it was well known that there is/was too many loans and short term deals at the club already so why are we trying to get more loans? Fair enough if it was bring in a standard of player we otherwise couldn’t afford. We’ve known for 2 months what was required in this window and this is the best they can come up with! This window is getting worse and worse by the day

Just now, Dick Van Dyke said:

I thought it was well known that there is/was too many loans and short term deals at the club already so why are we trying to get more loans? Fair enough if it was bring in a standard of player we otherwise couldn’t afford. We’ve known for 2 months what was required in this window and this is the best they can come up with! This window is getting worse and worse by the day

Who says they're only looking at loans?

I'd be wary of believing the names that are in the papers are the only players they're looking at and getting all frothy about it, tbh. Cleary was in the works for months seemingly yet his name never once appeared until the deal was done.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be wary of believing the names that are in the papers are the only players they're looking at and getting all frothy about it, tbh. Cleary was in the works for months seemingly yet his name never once appeared until the deal was done.

Is the Hallberg deal not quoted as a loan? 

would be Interesting to find out what kind of bids we’ve made for Rudden. Doesn’t seem like there’s been too much of a plan heading into the window. Very disappointing so far 

7 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Is the Hallberg deal not quoted as a loan? 

would be Interesting to find out what kind of bids we’ve made for Rudden. Doesn’t seem like there’s been too much of a plan heading into the window. Very disappointing so far 

The media have said its a loan we want and he wants permanent. They also said Motherwell had bid for Rudden then 2 hours later said they hadn't.

The fact we've signed so many early in the window surely shows they've planned for it? It's hard to get contracted players who are playing well away from their clubs in January so those will clearly take more time than free transfers/fringe players.

I'll worry if there's no improvement in CM/attack before we reach the Hearts game. The next week needs progress on those fronts.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Probably because significant amount of funds means very different things to our board as it does to the rest of football

1 minute ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Probably because significant amount of funds means very different things to our board as it does to the rest of football

If we don't come out of this with a stronger squad that will have zero fault of the board.

Do you think Cleary and Gallacher are on small wages considering where they've come from? You think Ciftci is on a small wage? Or that Butterfield or Viv are/were?

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

An understandable concern but I’d give the club a bit more time before starting to pass judgment. Not saying all the signings will be to everyone’s liking or that they’ll all be long term signings but I think we’ll be better equipped on the 1st of February than we were on the 1st of January.

I’ll agree with that @Kyle, I personally think everyone needs to calm the f£&k down. We’ve started the window fairly well and we know there’s things in the pipeline. We also know there will be two last minute panic loans at the end of the window so there’s still time to get the right things done before they turn up. New bodies will force everyone to up their game and rid the complacency from their minds. No more “automatic picks”

There will be plenty in the pipeline. Having a HoR means planning won't have been an issue. But Saints need to get deals done, which has been a problem on-and-off for a while. 

It will require the manager deciding who he wants and the club putting good packages together.

Also reliant on the manager identifying the areas that actually need strengthened. 

47 minutes ago, Radford said:

There will be plenty in the pipeline. Having a HoR means planning won't have been an issue. But Saints need to get deals done, which has been a problem on-and-off for a while. 

It will require the manager deciding who he wants and the club putting good packages together.

Also reliant on the manager identifying the areas that actually need strengthened. 

Whilst i agree with your assessment where we should be under a HOR! i can also assure you we are basically "Whoring ourselves"  around agents for players which is worrying!.