Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Possibly not. Davidson has mentioned that he’s looking for experience in our top flight and Ciftci provides that. I haven’t seen him play for a while now but he looked ok at motherwell the last time he was here, albeit that was a few years ago now. 

I’m not convinced he’s someone you need in a team that’s struggling and he’s obviously not someone that’s going to score goals. Honestly I think he may be your typical panic signing.

Hallberg could do alright for you in those jack of all trades midfield roles you have. Criticism of him at Hibs has often been you can't really tell what type of player he is but he's got a decent engine, his passing game is fairly strong and he's got a bit of bite and a bit of creativity. Doing it all at the same time could be the issue. He is hot af though so congratulations

44 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I’m not convinced he’s someone you need in a team that’s struggling and he’s obviously not someone that’s going to score goals. Honestly I think he may be your typical panic signing.

Honestly I don’t disagree. He fits what Davidson has said he’s looking for though, so his signing makes sense in that regard.  I’m neutral on it until seeing what he’s capable of now, 2014 Ciftci would be a great signing but he’s not been that for a long time. 

Daily record is randomly claiming we’ve tried to sign Jay chapman ahead of Dundee. Would completely go against this whole SPFL experience view we claim to be wanting so I’m not believing it.

Missed out on midfield targets I wonder. Shaw away to Well. Hallberg still on radar?

If Gilmour gets his chance hopefully he takes it and pushes on.

Nicholson saying we still want one player in. Hallberg is apparently on Swedish clubs radars as well.

I could be wrong but I don't think we'll get Hallberg. If the player was keen, he'd be here by now.

Bringing Gilmour back is fine (I'd arguably have done the same with Ballantyne) as having options will be no bad thing over next few months. 

But we still haven't replaced the bits of Ali McCann you are able to replicate (being able to run) and have the Wotherspoon absence to try and do something about.

He's going to sign Cammy MacPherson as well. 

7 hours ago, Radford said:

I could be wrong but I don't think we'll get Hallberg. If the player was keen, he'd be here by now.

Or if Saints were keen he would have been here by now, same as Rudden. Callum finding throwing small amounts of money at it just doesn't help, especially when you've told all and sundry you have money to burn. Another shambles of a window incoming.

21 hours ago, mizfit said:

Daily record is randomly claiming we’ve tried to sign Jay chapman ahead of Dundee. Would completely go against this whole SPFL experience view we claim to be wanting so I’m not believing it.

It's definitely true.

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Could very well be, it was just a surprise seeing us randomly linked with him 30 minutes before you guys signed him.

You were interested before us according to a St J ITK poster on here.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Or if Saints were keen he would have been here by now, same as Rudden. Callum finding throwing small amounts of money at it just doesn't help, especially when you've told all and sundry you have money to burn. Another shambles of a window incoming.

My impression would be they are keen on Hallberg but he is weighing up options.

I'd be inclined to agree with you about Rudden though. A fortnight on from a rejected bid and no movement but would it shock you if they end up going back in another fortnight and trying to offer more than they might have had to last week or this? That's the way this window is starting to feel. 

People will say it's early yet and usually I'd probably agree but there was so much focus on these first 10-14 days that, even if they couldn't get every position they wanted filled, I think the expectation would have been for me. 

Do we even know what positions he's wanting to fill either? Does he? He's very closed with what he says in the media and maybe has far more direction behind closed doors but if Tommy Wright was still here he'd have set it out in black and white what he was looking for. 

And I genuinely don't think money is an issue. The chairman has maybe been frugal over the years but that's never been accompanied by anything other than an acknowledgement of that. 

For him to so clearly state these funds would be made available makes me think they have been. 

9 hours ago, mizfit said:

Nicholson saying we still want one player in. Hallberg is apparently on Swedish clubs radars as well.

If he’s right that might mean we bring in a midfielder and not another striker. Disappointing.

Sounds like we’re putting all our eggs in the Ciftci basket which as we all know it’s a gamble. And what if he gets injured? We’re back to the forwards who have been badly failing us all season.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

My impression would be they are keen on Hallberg but he is weighing up options.

I'd be inclined to agree with you about Rudden though. A fortnight on from a rejected bid and no movement but would it shock you if they end up going back in another fortnight and trying to offer more than they might have had to last week or this? That's the way this window is starting to feel. 

People will say it's early yet and usually I'd probably agree but there was so much focus on these first 10-14 days that, even if they couldn't get every position they wanted filled, I think the expectation would have been for me. 

Do we even know what positions he's wanting to fill either? Does he? He's very closed with what he says in the media and maybe has far more direction behind closed doors but if Tommy Wright was still here he'd have set it out in black and white what he was looking for. 

And I genuinely don't think money is an issue. The chairman has maybe been frugal over the years but that's never been accompanied by anything other than an acknowledgement of that. 

For him to so clearly state these funds would be made available makes me think they have been. 

Of course Hallberg has options and now Rudden does as well. The thing is if these are the players you want you throw everything you've got at it to get them in the door, if you don't? Were they really the ones you wanted?

Rudden will be in action in the BBC live game on Friday night against killie, so if he does okay could well end up with a few bigger payers than us interested; the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc. But then if he has a stinker all Saints fans will be saying he's shite we don't want him.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we end up with him now, we don't usually seem to end up with the player when there's a few clubs interested.

McCall has played it well by drumming up interest. But that's what happens. We were always going to get stung, said over a month ago that now we're bottom of the league we're buying in a position of desperation and clubs and agents will know this and milk us for all they can. We've all said it so many times, but the summer really was the time to strengthen.

Just got to cobble together what we can to stay up. Still optimistic we can do that, the break certainly came at the right time for us, so the time to work with the players and start afresh surely benefits us. So many players can't continue to be so woefully out of form surely!