Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I really like Monty and taken entirely in isolation I think it’s a good signing, he’s mostly done really well for us and I’m happy to see him back.  

It’s the longer term plan that’s clearly the problem. I’m hoping the plan is to get Gallacher out on loan for a few months to the championship, get a bunch of games under his belt and be ready to make the jersey his own next season. The potential is there with him. Sounds far too sensible though eh so that’s not happening 😂

Edited by John Bonham

3 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

I really like Monty and taken entirely in isolation I think it’s a good signing, he’s mostly done really well for us and I’m happy to see him back.  

It’s the longer term plan that’s clearly the problem. I’m hoping the plan is to get Gallacher out on loan for a few months to the championship, get a bunch of games under his belt and be ready to make the jersey his own next season. The potential is there with him. Sounds far too sensible though eh

That’s the way I see it, but as you say, far too sensible

I really never saw a situation where I would fall out of love with football but Saints are really testing my limits these days.

I can already see it in three years when we've gone back-to-back relegations and struggling to stay afloat, a long-form article somewhere on "how the double winners fell" and how hard it is to maintain success at the top level, where in actual fact the club has self-inflicted the following:

• Pissing off the entire fanbase, then doubling down with the whole shambles vs Rangers
  • Wasted what I presume is around £2m in transfer fees on utter sh*te
  • Signing players just to release them
  • Running with a squad of 30+ senior players, I'm really struggling to need more than one hand to count how many I would miss if they left
  • Rammed the team with ageing players on multi-year deals, giving us zero flexibility in the market and meaning an entire rebuild is needed in two years
  • Replaced our Cup-winning Captain with someone who had never played senior football in his life because his brother was good and someone who was at Millwall - neither lasted more than six months

I'm sure there's tons more, but the post mortem from this isn't really going to reveal any surprises once it all goes fully t*ts up.

5 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

I really never saw a situation where I would fall out of love with football but Saints are really testing my limits these days.

I can already see it in three years when we've gone back-to-back relegations and struggling to stay afloat, a long-form article somewhere on "how the double winners fell" and how hard it is to maintain success at the top level, where in actual fact the club has self-inflicted the following:

• Pissing off the entire fanbase, then doubling down with the whole shambles vs Rangers
  • Running with a squad of 30+ senior players, I'm really struggling to need more than one hand to count how many I would miss if they left
  • Rammed the team with ageing players on multi-year deals, giving us zero flexibility in the market and meaning an entire rebuild is needed in two years
  • Replaced our Cup-winning Captain with someone who had never played senior football in his life because his brother was good and someone who was at Millwall - neither lasted more than six months

I'm sure there's tons more, but the post mortem from this isn't really going to reveal any surprises once it all goes fully t*ts up.

It can be another book by that guy that's written the last two and has another on the way. 

" How Davidson fucked it all up."

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

24-30 should really be seen as "prime" age for players and where the bulk of your team is made up from.

24-30.thumb.png.0d0ef533b55fa3c0e514301af929f8fc.png

Fucking hell hahahahahaha. 

Pretty obvious what the priority is from now until (and beyond) the summer. Whether or not the manager sees it that way, and wants to do something about it is another story. It’s an interesting point you make on twitter about the manager not seeing himself here long-term, so tends to sign quick fixes. 

9 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

It seems not so long ago that Saints were highlighted as being a model club with a tried and tested recruitment strategy so I'm surprised that things have gone so wrong so badly.  

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Wotherspoon sounding a lot more positive this morning  

He followed Jamie Murphys lead and hinted unhappiness to the public, he'll be starting today.

22 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Thank f**k 

Convinced him and Montgomery on the left side would be dangerous, doesnt feel like we've seen that pairing much though. Both starting today would offer some hope.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Convinced him and Montgomery on the left side would be dangerous, doesnt feel like we've seen that pairing much though. Both starting today would offer some hope.

Certainly looked like they had potential to be dangerous at County before Xmas and that was without Wotherspoon having one of his better games. Rangers at McDiarmid the only other time they’ve started together?

56 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Certainly looked like they had potential to be dangerous at County before Xmas and that was without Wotherspoon having one of his better games. Rangers at McDiarmid the only other time they’ve started together?

Aye but that was because we had a spare man, before that we were woeful, although Spoony wasn't on then I think?

I feel that I'm constantly moaning, which really isn't me, but we've been extremely fortunate this season in regards to game changing sending offs. Callums tactics in the games against County and Hibs in particular where we were heading for defeats are really low points for me, insipid, weak, shite performances somewhat masked by complete turnarounds after the sending offs. Sure they were definite reds but to me it was the home sides throwing the points rather than Saints taking the game and winning by playing good football. 

I think that’s fair comment in regards to the Hibs game though against County I thought their opener came somewhat against the run of play and the red card came at a point when we were starting to take charge again. Would we have gone on to win without the red? Maybe not but I don’t think it would have been too big a surprise. Against Hibs though we could easily have gone on to a pumping.