Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

40 minutes ago, Radford said:

I really hope so.

We'll see who signs a new contract then the quantity and type of signings though.

This will be Davidson's legacy.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get anything other than journeymen, i just think Macca isn't a big pull for up and coming players. The St Johnstone of the last couple of seasons aren't either. Fresh start though what with the changes that needed to be made, Davidson, Flaherty and Guidi. Now on to the playing staff...

26 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

i just think Macca isn't a big pull for up and coming players. The St Johnstone of the last couple of seasons aren't either.

This, i think.

Would we attract McCart/Rooney types just now? Very much a club circling the drain, with an unproven rookie manager who was part of the decline previously, and i always felt being a stable club with success gave us the edge over clubs who could spend more.

If we’re just going to sign journeymen no marks, would we not have been better to (at least) try to retain Wotherspoon? Even Murphy looked useful in the limited chances he got. If we release Spoony and sign a dumpling like Pawlett, what have we actually achieved?

Edited by Kyle

It's weirdly unfair to fully put last season on Davidson. It was down to him yes, but he shouldn't have been in charge in the first place - that's on the club.

Davidson did win us two cups, which would have made us enough money.

The mistake was keeping him on for too long and allowing the damage to accumulate.

Also you could say a lot of our previous managers when initially appointed wouldn't have been a 'draw' for players - would anyone really have been all that excited at getting the chance to work with Del, Lomas, Wright or Davidson initially? They all had to build their reputations.

And as a club, we only got to be attractive after we'd built ourselves up. The last two seasons just mean we almost have to start again on that journey - not easy, but we've done it before, and the structural changes look to be setting us up well to try again.

55 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If we’re just going to sign journeymen no marks, would we not have been better to (at least) try to retain Wotherspoon? Even Murphy looked useful in the limited chances he got. If we release Spoony and sign a dumpling like Pawlett, what have we actually achieved?

Would only make sense if Wotherspoon wanted a big wage.

We have cheaper youngsters in the same position as him while we dont in other positions, so you filter his wage to the defence, as an example. 

43 minutes ago, monkfish said:

It's weirdly unfair to fully put last season on Davidson. It was down to him yes, but he shouldn't have been in charge in the first place - that's on the club.

Davidson did win us two cups, which would have made us enough money.

The mistake was keeping him on for too long and allowing the damage to accumulate.

Also you could say a lot of our previous managers when initially appointed wouldn't have been a 'draw' for players - would anyone really have been all that excited at getting the chance to work with Del, Lomas, Wright or Davidson initially? They all had to build their reputations.

And as a club, we only got to be attractive after we'd built ourselves up. The last two seasons just mean we almost have to start again on that journey - not easy, but we've done it before, and the structural changes look to be setting us up well to try again.

Exactly. Any suggestion that Davidsons 'legacy' will be the aging under performing squad is frankly mental! Yes, the squad is both of those and yes, right now he needs to shoulder some of that blame, but his legacy will not be that, it will only and forever, be the double win. 99.99% sure folk sitting in the pub in 50 years will not look back at the 2020's and and say 'aye, Davidson left us Ali Crawford and Carey on big contracts and did nothing else' 🙄

As for Saints being a draw to players, yes, it probably is less of a draw than 2 years ago, but given we have been a top flight side for 15 seasons now and had only one proper relegation fight, then any player probably 23 and under will know nothing other than Saints being a top flight side and that in itself is an attraction. Ultimately though, money talks. If we and say Killie are after the same player and we offer more, then player more than likely comes to us and vice versa. Us and Hibs offer the same, the player probably goes to hibs as they have Europe and along with better facilities to train in etc, are more attractive. 

2 hours ago, monkfish said:

They all came into a club on the way up, with financial security, and particularly early on that was huge when other clubs were struggling. Folk seem to ignore how much money we likely spent to get promoted, do folk think Michael Duberry and Jody Morris were on peanuts?

Coyle started it without the upwards momentum but his personality was huge and you could see folk buying into it easily. Genuinely think he could just about sell the club to anyone.

Now we have no ownership security, financially are cutting back, look like a club in decline, and have a rookie manager. We all like MacLean but hes awkward on camera and seems pretty forthright, will new signings buy into him easily?

Naturally I don't know for sure Macca's "vision" but hopefully he's able to express that and impress those who might be on the fence. I get the impression he's keen to play much more positive stuff - based on post split period anyway. 

If he can express that hopefully he'll be able to persuade the targets he wants. 

Hope we're after Kennedy again. While many other clubs are likely to show an interest as well hopefully the opportunity to be given the freedom off the left hand side to enjoy his football again might go a long way to persuade him. (No longer playing wing back)

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

35 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Hope we're after Kennedy again. While many other clubs are likely to show an interest as well hopefully the opportunity to be given the freedom off the left hand side to enjoy his football again might go a long way to persuade him. (No longer playing wing back)

Why would he choose us over Killie who offer more money?

Genuinely think we're in for a shock this Summer in terms of what signs.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would he choose us over Killie who offer more money?

Genuinely think we're in for a shock this Summer in terms of what signs.

I agree also.

I do want us to try and get Kennedy though, whether he chooses us is a different question. He certainly won't be choosing us for the £ that's for sure. Can only be a football decision. Does he want to be playing under Mciness again? He'd be their replacement of Jordan Jones. 

I've been saying similar to friends. They're like "we need 6-7 signings.". We simply won't get that many for starters.

I suspect in the central midfield area we'll try to get by with the young lads + Cammy & Phillips. Maybe Hallberg if he stays... He won't be though I don't think. 

I think the club's hope/plan is try and get 4 first team level players. A central defender, left winger, right back (2 if Brown leaves) and then maybe a left back depending on Gallagher being moved on. Then potentially a young loanee as a 4th central defender. 

That'll be the max in my eyes othe than potentially a few other random loanees. 

The challenge though is finding "first team level players" that are up to the standard required. 

The period of us picking up the likes of MOH, Kennedy & Swanson out of nowhere seem a distant memory now. 

(I see Mayo that the club tried to get in January is likely to be available again now). 

If we sign the likes of Pawlett and Smith I'll be disappointed though. Don't think either are up to it. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I’m not worried about Maccas recruitment. 

He may err on the side of caution and primarily target homegrown players, but with Gus’s connections and Maccas own comments on if your good enough your old enough we might see some signings not too dissimilar to Tommy Wrights. 

23 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’m not worried about Maccas recruitment. 

He may err on the side of caution and primarily target homegrown players, but with Gus’s connections and Maccas own comments on if your good enough your old enough we might see some signings not too dissimilar to Tommy Wrights. 

Id be happy with taking some youthful punts tbh, but theyd have to have some first team experience in them (as in, not Wallace Duffy types).

If we have a shit season again we have a shit season, but ive a horrible feeling it'll be like that this season regardless.

8 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The apparent appeal of playing for your local team certainly wasn't very appealing anyway. 

Signed for Killie. 

Disappointing and a player I'd of liked to see us sign; however not worth breaking the bank for when there's other positions we need to fill first. Given a choice between Mitchell and Deas I know who I'm choosing, not that I think we'll see Alex back.  

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

Disappointing and a player I'd of liked to see us sign; however not worth breaking the bank for when there's other positions we need to fill first. Given a choice between Mitchell and Deas I know who I'm choosing, not that I think we'll see Alex back.  

What about a choice of Ash Taylor, Ryan Sweeney or Robbie Deas?