Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, 1985Saint said:

Did I read somewhere that they were going to be discussing a buy-a-brick initiative or did I imagine that??

"I am so confused it feels almost calm" - Shane Jones

Yeah that was discussed at the start of the meeting. The guy organising it showed the design of the bricks and said it was moving forward, but no details on when/costs as yet I don't think. 

(that's the first meeting I've attended so there may have been more details in previous minutes/meetings)

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

He didnt say he had a preferred shape, just a preferred style. So regardless of how we set up, he wants to play on the front foot, press high and play with a high tempo. 

He said that, if we are behind with 10 minutes to go, he'd like to have the option to go more direct so I took it that he wants to play more possession based football than we've been used to. 

He also basically said that's why Spoony wasn't offered a new deal. Couldn't play that high pressing way. 

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

Given what the first team budget was under Lomas and early Wright, I really struggle to get my head around this £4 million figure.

Stan said the cost of the football side of things was nearly £4m which i took as not just player wages but also things like equipment, renting facilities, maybe even hotel stays etc.

12 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

He also basically said that's why Spoony wasn't offered a new deal. Couldn't play that high pressing way. 

I think most level headed saints fans knew this was the case and were in agreement with it, Spoony can do the chase, but he can't do the recovery any more. It's probably another reason why the likes of Crawford and Carey wouldn't be signed under MacLean.

7 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Stan said the cost of the football side of things was nearly £4m which i took as not just player wages but also things like equipment, renting facilities, maybe even hotel stays etc.

Stan told me that wages were crippling Saints and the wage bill was nearly 3 million and that was about 10 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Yeah that was discussed at the start of the meeting. The guy organising it showed the design of the bricks and said it was moving forward, but no details on when/costs as yet I don't think. 

(that's the first meeting I've attended so there may have been more details in previous minutes/meetings)

Cheers for clarifying Kyle, no doubt something that will get papped down the road.

"I've lost so much, in a short time, 
Don't see my kid, how I miss my wife" - Jimmy Nail

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I have a feeling they hoped to have a new signing to reveal with the strip yesterday. Just with Maccas comments on one almost over the line. 

They didn't say which position the signing was. I presume it'll be a goalkeeper though. 

The delay on the strips in the last week by the sounds of it has been somewhat related to an issue with postage. Thinking it was arriving one day and it didn't, then when it did only one box of the many expected would arrive. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I'm all for a more exciting, higher pressing, more energetic style. Slight concerns about doing it with a small squad though, as it will could well lead to a heck of a lot of fatigue based injuries, late goals being conceded as we tire, etc. There's a reason teams that play this way successfully usually have larger squads.

I also remain wholly unconvinced that a number of our current players have the energy and/or skill set to play this style.....

9 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Another thing that came up. It's all card only for the Old Firm games is because of the amount of counterfeit notes they end up receiving. 

Surely that is something the police should be getting involved in too?

Was there any questions or points raised about other improvements in and around the stadium? 

5 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Was there any questions or points raised about other improvements in and around the stadium? 

I dunno if it was picked up by everyone else, but at one point Stan Mentioned Raising funds for the east stand. 

29 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

You would imagine so. 

Saints would still be stuck carrying the loss from the notes though. 

15 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Just saw the official squad number list. Fucking brutal.

Oh aye. 22 players with a number - 1 is away out in loan, 1 has a broken leg, 7 have less than 10 starts for us (I think) so and Kane and Clark  are unavailable. Really highlights the need for those players Macca wants to bring in. 

On the flip side, plenty of opportunities for young players, something they wouldn't have gotten last year. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Oh aye. 22 players with a number - 1 is away out in loan, 1 has a broken leg, 7 have less than 10 starts for us (I think) so and Kane and Clark  are unavailable. Really highlights the need for those players Macca wants to bring in. 

On the flip side, plenty of opportunities for young players, something they wouldn't have gotten last year. 

Yeah, I'd make it 16 who you could class as first teamers plus Crawford who I'd expect will be away.

Of that 16, Clark, Kane and Booth are all still essentially recovering from injury to varying degrees and Carey and Considine, I don't think have a full season in them.

As it stands, we probably have enough to fill a starting 11 and bench, but a few injuries and suspensions and we are down to the youth players.