Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

That kind of link play up has been badly missing for the last couple of years and it’s the exact thing Stevie May is good at if you get the right bodies around him. Nice to see Ballantyne heavily involved in that and you have to say his finish for the first and the touch to our May in for the third are top class.

Really nice to see a young player coming in and scoring - and showing a good bit of alertness to get there - so early in his career.

We’re still short of fit first team players and there are a lot of guys still needing to work on match sharpness but that was far more positive.

Could be interesting to look at Mays passes after the first round of games to see if they compare to the previous 2 seasons.

Only saw highlights but looked like Ballantyne/Jephcott were always close to him and that seems to be something MacLean identified needed to happen, and tried to fix, the moment he took charge. Have to presume he'd mentioned it to Davidson and just been ignored.

McCrystal is definitely taking the chances given to him to impress, it looks like. Hard to know whats best for him, a loan or keep him around the first team?

Worth noting that Chris Kane was at the game and walked past me without any sort of crutches, boot on or looking like he was injured. Think he also drove to the game, so that maybe suggests that knock or strain he picked up in pre-season isn’t too bad. Not that he’ll be anywhere near sharp or peak fitness. 

I think yesterday showed that we still need another midfielder. The whole dynamic of the midfield changed when Phillips came on, but it’s easy to do that when you’re 3-0 up. The fact that you’re looking at MacPherson as our only other senior midfielder is worrying. Even more so the fact that I’d have him at 5th choice currently. Plus another body allows us to get Ferguson and potentially McCrystal loans for game time. 

The other player who is showing up well is Taylor Steven. I’m not sure he’s the most technically gifted player of the youths, but what he lacks for there he more than makes up for in fight and determination. His attitude on the pitch is absolutely spot on every time I see him. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Could be interesting to look at Mays passes after the first round of games to see if they compare to the previous 2 seasons.

Only saw highlights but looked like Ballantyne/Jephcott were always close to him and that seems to be something MacLean identified needed to happen, and tried to fix, the moment he took charge. Have to presume he'd mentioned it to Davidson and just been ignored.

McCrystal is definitely taking the chances given to him to impress, it looks like. Hard to know whats best for him, a loan or keep him around the first team?

Get him blooded, he’s hungry and full of confidence.

Derek Johnstone scored a cup final winning goal when he was 16, you've either got it or not.

36 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

Get him blooded, he’s hungry and full of confidence.

Derek Johnstone scored a cup final winning goal when he was 16, you've either got it or not.

Well aye, it feels like hes ready to play senior football, im just not sure if its better to try him with top flight football regularly, and run the risk of him struggling and losing all confidence, or have him playing at a lower level every week and enjoying himself more?

Deciding if a players "got it" at 16/17 is wrong.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well aye, it feels like hes ready to play senior football, im just not sure if its better to try him with top flight football regularly, and run the risk of him struggling and losing all confidence, or have him playing at a lower level every week and enjoying himself more?

Deciding if a players "got it" at 16/17 is wrong.

I think you’re wrong, some players are naturally gifted and need minimal coaching.

Jimmy Johnstone was self taught kicking a ball about on the street and is probably one of the best players Scotland has produced.

14 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

I think you’re wrong, some players are naturally gifted and need minimal coaching.

Jimmy Johnstone was self taught kicking a ball about on the street and is probably one of the best players Scotland has produced.

I think you can say some people are going to be class at 16, but you can't say some people won't be class at 16.

I think we're making the same point in different ways.

I've never seen McCrystal play in the flesh yet so I've no idea about him.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think you can say some people are going to be class at 16, but you can't say some people won't be class at 16.

I think we're making the same point in different ways.

I've never seen McCrystal play in the flesh yet so I've no idea about him.

I've seen him last 10/15 mins against Dunfermline was at that game and yesterday on the PPV so not much time to be honest to make a judgement!  However those glimpses have been that he looks a player!  You know how we watched Theo Bair and thought he would never be a football player. Then the opposite with this guy. he is also a fair size in build for a 16year old!      

Yesterday was definitely a lot better.

I still think we need 4 new starters:

- CB (ideally 2 but that's unrealistic)

- RB

- CM

- WM with pace

That's based on:

- a shuffling Considine needs sidelined

- Jim Brown is not a starting RB

- most of the yoof e.g. Max need loaned out

- McGowan / Ballantyne / Philips / MacPherson isn't enough in CM, for a variety of reasons. Crawford doesn't count.

I think we could also do with a backup wide midfielder. We only have Wright and Carey currently, so ideally we'd have 2 other options. Hopefully Carey isn't out for any length of time.

So 5 more players, I'd guess at least 2 of which would be loans.  That's probably not feasible. I think more realistic would be bringing in a CB, a RB, and a wide player. I'd worry about not signing a CM, but I think having Crawford still hanging around on a decent wage might scupper that.

We're very unlikely to sign 5-6 players. 

Most of the young players including Max are very unlikely to be going anywhere. Maybe those on the periphery will but the likes of him and Ferguson are likely to be involved regularly. The manager has made it fairly clear they're going to be involved this season. 

We're not going down the Davidson route of having a bench full of senior players. 

At a push we'll maybe get 3. Central defender, winger and right back. Chance they'll all be loans as well!

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Aye I think the priorities now are LCB and a winger.

If we get those and nobody is out then he'll look at the CM situation. If players (MacPherson/Phillips) aren't perma-injured and younger ones are looking good, he'll look at a right back instead.

So yeah, 3 at most I think left to come in if nobody leaves.

If we can get Crawford out then he maybe gets to open up to 4 signings.

5 would probably require him getting Crawford + another out but not sure we can cut too many senior ones now. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Seems strange that your best ever player - Savo Milne - is a Dundee reject.

Genuinely think he played more games for Dundee than he did for us.