Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Tbf we have no fit Left backs at the moment now Gallagher is injured. So make sense to get a loan in to cover. However how much budget does that take away considering it a position we were not planning to recruit for (on top of GK)

Like a number of positions, the loan does leave us with a big hole to fill at the end of the season.

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Other clubs have got better at it and we maybe just try to get by with what we’ve always done.

This feels like how every single aspect of the club has been run for the last X years. Been living under the delusion that having never had an overdraft = being well run.

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Starting to worry we’re going to end up with same size of squad as last year but somehow have even less quality. 

Same story as last year, after 4 or 5, end up with 8 with a few more to go. Last year was all expensive, experienced players with no resale value. This year it's essentially all punts, except Mitov. 

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Gallagher probably hasn't done himself many favours with his "sore neck". 

Even Eric Nick had a wee dig on the podcast.

Booth is always heading to training on these new social media videos.

I know it's a content world and all that, but I can really do without these videos when we're getting battered every week. 

https://x.com/salfordcityfc/status/1692970938068017651?s=46&t=OLddCCDMPmc8qGiSVzgghg

Was gonna say, could really do with him now. Birthday card pish, not relevant to us now etc etc but I’ve a lot of time for him purely based on him being frozen and subsequently shipped out by the manager, twice, yet still having it in him to come back and give it everything. 

I’ve seen a few comments on twitter, etc. saying that we’re clearly panicking now and just bringing in loans. I see it differently, we’re bringing in loans to cover for positions where we have long term injuries or doubts about players fitness ever returning. I don’t mind that at all, I can’t imagine we’ll be paying all the wages for the guys so far. I’ll admit the winger on loan from Burnley is slight different since that’s a position we need quality in, so if he’s all we get then we’ve got an issue. 

MacLean may get a lot of flack and stick this season from fans for a variety of reasons, but transfer wise he’s done the right thing for me. Age profile down, mostly experienced guys with previous history of being good. They won’t all work out, but as I say he’s done the right thing for me. I think we all know in an ideal world he’d be able to get rid of Crawford, Considine, McPherson, Booth etc. but there ain’t nobody taking these guys at all, especially when they’re not fit. 

12 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

A (former) St Johnstone striker playing with a swagger and banging in goals.  I miss watching the aggression and hunger for goals of Callum Hendry. Forward to 5:35 for the start of his second half hat-trick today:

Mind when Davidson thought he was a ‘10 so didn’t bother playing him?

Did us a massive turn given the circumstances. Hope we see him back one day.

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

https://x.com/salfordcityfc/status/1692970938068017651?s=46&t=OLddCCDMPmc8qGiSVzgghg

Was gonna say, could really do with him now. Birthday card pish, not relevant to us now etc etc but I’ve a lot of time for him purely based on him being frozen and subsequently shipped out by the manager, twice, yet still having it in him to come back and give it everything. 

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

Mind when Davidson thought he was a ‘10 so didn’t bother playing him?

Did us a massive turn given the circumstances. Hope we see him back one day.

8 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

I remember when he scored that peach on the counter vs Rangers at McD thinking 'that's it, we've got our guy for years to come'

Him and May had formed a great partnership that dragged us out of trouble and up the table in those months before Covid stopped the season early. We had the 3 centre halves (Kerr, Gordon and McCart) playing well and McCann looking the part.

Davidson ultimately did unbelievably well that next season, but it frustrated the f**k out of me in the first half of the double season when we were struggling near the bottom unable to score purely to play that tortuous 5-2-3.

Hendry should have been a player we made good money on, but Davidson lost us a year of him by trying to turn him into a defender playing up front.

Jesus fucking Christ the revision in some folk is wild. Callum Hendry was rightly loaned out when he was, he had had chances to impress and failed and looked more like getting sent off than scoring. Sure, he came back and turned the season when we needed but let's not just forget all the pish before it lads.

Of course he could've been an asset these last two seasons but these things happen, this could be Kanes or Clarks turn to come back in and change things this season. Players leave clubs, shit happens. I for one couldn't give a single f**k about them when they walk out that door. f**k them.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Jesus fucking Christ the revision in some folk is wild. Callum Hendry was rightly loaned out when he was, he had had chances to impress and failed and looked more like getting sent off than scoring. Sure, he came back and turned the season when we needed but let's not just forget all the pish before it lads.

Of course he could've been an asset these last two seasons but these things happen, this could be Kanes or Clarks turn to come back in and change things this season. Players leave clubs, shit happens. I for one couldn't give a single f**k about them when they walk out that door. f**k them.

Na that’s shite Tam. He was a traditional number 9 that liked scoring goals suddenly being asked to run around making tackles. 
It’s no massive surprise that when we played him as part of a pair beforehand he was effective and scored, then when we went back to it in the second half of the play off season he scored goals again.

Just mentioned him as we’ve no game this weekend and saw he scored. players move on as you say.

But whether it’s Hendry, Rooney, Murray, Liam Craig, Frazer Wright or whoever, there’s no doubt we have a lot of players that lack that kind of edge in this current squad.