Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I would have liked Tommy Wright or Jody Morris when we were ‘looking’ for Callum Davidson’s replacement. Alas, we made the bizarre decision to go with our failed manager’s failed assistant. But now, it’s no longer the right time for a Jody Morris appointment. And Tommy, who might have been under consideration previously, is no longer available. It has been a total clusterfuck in a long line of total clusterfucks.

Anyway, we need to go against our traditional transfer policy now. We need an experienced head. It’s our only hope. Maybe Neilson is a good shout, although he appears devoid of a personality. From the other names currently linked, I can’t see why Martindale would be interested. Billy Dodds is a hard no.

I'd take Martindale ahead of Neilson tbh. Lennons just a no go for me.

Still intrigued by Paul Hurst, and Karl Robinson could be an absolutely mental, but ambitious, shout. Hes faded a bit from the early hype more than I'd realised.

McCabe the standout if we want a younger one.

Tam Courts isn't as bad a shout as I'd initially thought, tbh.

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

bbc GIF

No

All I'm saying is his season at United was in similar circumstanes to TWs in 14/15 after we'd sold May, as they tried to figure out how to play (and score) without Shankland.

His waffling makes him sound less pragmatic than he seems to be.

Have the club come out and publically said we will have someone experienced in place by the end of the week?

Because if so, surely they had someone sounded out before today about the possibility. No way could you guarantee you’d get the right replacement in within such a tight timescale.

And you wouldn’t come out with such a tight definitive timeframe with the risk of looking foolish, unless you were fairly confident of getting your man. 

Just one more thing…  you wouldn’t be so eager to get rid and appoint the new guy unless it was someone who you actually wanted, as opposed to one of the usual out of work replacements.

Which leads me to assume it’s David Martindale.

image.png.d9aaa60237941982e194203d8188d840.png

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Have the club come out and publically said we will have someone experienced in place by the end of the week?

Because if so, surely they had someone sounded out before today about the possibility. No way could you guarantee you’d get the right replacement in within such a tight timescale.

And you wouldn’t come out with such a tight definitive timeframe with the risk of looking foolish, unless you were fairly confident of getting your man. 

Just one more thing…  you wouldn’t be so eager to get rid and appoint the new guy unless it was someone who you actually wanted, as opposed to one of the usual out of work replacements.

I don't think the club has said directly thst they want a manager on by the weekend, but it has come from journalists very close to the club, so as 'public' as it gets without being direct.

I suppose when you are looking at 3 massive games in a row, you cannot hang about and given the intention is someone experienced with knowledge of the league, its not a massive list to work through. I'd have thought the club has had names in mind for a few weeks now and may have sounded out a few in the last few hours. Pretty quick to find out who is interested/available and who is not.

3 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

It’s going to be quite a sobering moment for Livingston supporters when they finally realise why David Martindale was acting all pally-pally with Chris Kane a few weeks ago.

To be fair it was because we tried to sign him before he signed a 6 month deal with you right? Could always be that he's signing with us in January :D 

30 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You see I would take those facts and conclude Neilsen, rather than us being actively talking to a divisional rival manager.

Also I don't agree that we'd hold back on making a fast appointment given where we are in the league and in performance terms. In fact someone currently out of work would be able to come straight in without any contract issues.

I might be miles off but I just don't see DM at Saints. Gut feel.

21 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair it was because we tried to sign him before he signed a 6 month deal with you right? Could always be that he's signing with us in January :D 

This was indeed the story that had been doing the rounds. Due to the mutually beneficial nature of the real reason, we respected wee Davie’s wishes to keep it a secret.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

You see I would take those facts and conclude Neilsen, rather than us being actively talking to a divisional rival manager.

Also I don't agree that we'd hold back on making a fast appointment given where we are in the league and in performance terms. In fact someone currently out of work would be able to come straight in without any contract issues.

I might be miles off but I just don't see DM at Saints. Gut feel.

Martindale is working without a contract, so no issues there. He's basically a free agent.