Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I wonder if in quiet moments of reflection Steven Maclean will ask himself why he didn’t do certain things.

Like playing 2 recognised strikers, getting a team of your best experienced leaders on the park when you’re struggling, and bringing the younger players in to learn off the older heads, feeling they have to come up to that level to keep their place, rather than just throwing loads of them in there.

It’s a formula that’s worked well for us for a few years, and yet it was as if Macca was so hellbent on showing he wasn’t Callum, and thought he could get a team of inexperienced youngsters to all magically gel amidst the grind of the bottom half of the premiership.

I know injuries played a part, but he was another that just wouldn’t adapt to what he was seeing in front of his eyes.  I’m maybe oversimplifying things a bit.

Feel a win was huge for our season, but even more so could have a significant bearing on our managerial options. Being detached and looking a lost cause at the foot of the table might have had a few candidates deciding it wasn’t for them as they didn’t want a relegation on their cv.  But only 3 points behind with a win on the board and 3/4 of the season to go is a completely different picture.

Levein wouldn't be my first choice (that will always be Thomas Wright, king of Perthshire) but he's pretty much the exact profile of manager that interview Harris gave intimated. I think he could be decent to be honest but would need time and backing in January/next summer as he's not got a lot of quality to work with. 

5 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Rowan Vine. Hear for it.

Apparentlt recently sacked as manager by *checks notes* Hartley Wintney FC.

I take it we're all just accepting hes making up clubs to put on his CV now?

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Levein wouldn't be my first choice (that will always be Thomas Wright, king of Perthshire) but he's pretty much the exact profile of manager that interview Harris gave intimated. I think he could be decent to be honest but would need time and backing in January/next summer as he's not got a lot of quality to work with. 

Hes only been a manager for 2 (and a bit) seasons in the last decade, just doesn't feel like a good fit at all to me.

My vibes checker generally always rejects former Hearts managers for some reason.

Maybe Steven MacLean actually did a very good job in the transfer market and simply didn’t know how to manage these players. I hope that’s the case and we can still count on this squad to kickstart our new era. All things considered, that wouldn’t be the worst legacy to leave behind. 

Smith certainly had an excellent game and looks like he could be useful in the midfield and McGowan made a huge difference at right back too. Some green shots there and hopefully something for the new manager to work with. 

Having Kane and Clark fit is absolutely huge for us. They get us up the pitch and occupy defenders better than anyone else we have. Clark grabs the headlines but Chris Kane constantly winning fouls and dragging us up the pitch was poetry in motion. 

Feel we don’t need to rush the new manager decision quite so much now.

Unless there’s something in the offing, I’d be tempted to give Cleland the next two home games (Motherwell then County) to keep some momentum going.  We then have a two week break where the new manager could get a bit of time to work with the players.

County play Celtic before coming to McDiarmid in 10 days. If we beat Motherwell, there’s every chance we’ll play county with a chance to climb above them, which sounds crazy after the start we’ve had.

17 hours ago, Dooj said:

There's all sorts of principles like 'custom and practice' and any court would test whether an individual had a reasonable expectation to receive a certain payment. If you have been turning up to work and receiving a certain amount into your bank account every month over a period of time, and then that just changed to a much smaller amount, no-one would suggest that the employer has acted reasonably. Also, I think there may be assumptions about T&Cs continuing when a contract ends but the individual remains in post. And even for fixed term contracts there are processes that an employer must follow to end that individual's employment.

[not a lawyer]

Pretty much as it is.

I had a scenario a few years back where I was working with no written contract - the boss was paying me every 4 weeks but when we parted company she was insistent that I was monthly paid so calculated my final pay on that basis.  I was having none of it and stuck to my guns and she (an actual lawyer) had to back down when I showed her my payslips covering every 4 weeks. 

As I understand it even if there was a contract the custom and practice will have a higher weighting if it can be proved.