Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I don't mean this to appear harsh but much like David Murray destroyed his legacy at Rangers when he sold to Craig Whyte, we can only trust that Geoff Brown hasn't left a stone unturned here.

That's not to say I'm reticent about the club being sold as it desperately needs to happen. The contrast with the ambition of the 35 years ago couldn't be more stark right now.

One thing that will potentially be interesting is what is actually sold. Would you buy a football club without the 20-odd acre footprint it sits in? Who owns the site, Geoff Brown or the football club?

It'll be interesting to see how much is divulged to us over the coming months if this is serious.

15 minutes ago, Radford said:

One thing that will potentially be interesting is what is actually sold. Would you buy a football club without the 20-odd acre footprint it sits in? Who owns the site, Geoff Brown or the football club?

I find it quite interesting that the size of land keeps getting used as a negative in the Courier. there was an interview years ago with SBrown where he complained about having to clear the whole site when it was snowy/icy, but I’d have thought generally it’s a boon. However, I suspect there is scope that the rumoured Oudenarde ground and the spinning the land as a negative are gonna result in the browns swapping the McDairmid land for land at Oudenarde, and getting the new owners to build the bridge(s) that Geoff has refused to build at Oudenarde, which has stopped the village getting built.

20 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Incumbent managers rarely last long after a takeover.

It’s all fun and games until they appoint Wayne Rooney. 

46 minutes ago, mizfit said:

It’s all fun and games until they appoint Wayne Rooney. 

That's always the fear for me. Becoming a rich persons play thing. Pile the club into heavy losses chasing that dream with his toy and then when they get bored walking away, not putting another penny in and the club having to struggle to manage the book while carrying the debt. 

Beyond it being a play thing I cannot see a single reason why a foreign investor would buy Saints. 

It's all part of the plan to join the Dundee and United merger and play at a super stadium in Erroll! 😆

I think unlike others, it seems Brown is very conscious of what kind of new owner we get. Probably rules out folk looking to make any kind of quick money from us from the land and doesn't sound like a plaything, so will be someone who has plans, but not massive changes I'd suspect.

I welcome anyone with some drive into the club, but I dont want to hear false promises of new stadiums or big grand plans. Bit of investment in and around the stadium and some additional revenue streams and I think most fans would be content. 

I imagine whats most likely is some shenanigans with land that sees both the new owner and Geoff Brown (community fund) benefit financially.

We'll probably see some land developed into something nothing to do with the club somewhere.

We'll then continue as is, with the new owner likely takely some a wage or dividend or something from the club every year.

All very boring probably.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I imagine whats most likely is some shenanigans with land that sees both the new owner and Geoff Brown (community fund) benefit financially.

We'll probably see some land developed into something nothing to do with the club somewhere.

We'll then continue as is, with the new owner likely takely some a wage or dividend or something from the club every year.

All very boring probably.

If what was allegedly being asked financially for the club is true taking a dividend would take them about 400 years to make their money back 🤣

That's why I don't think there's a business case for someone to buy through club. It's got to be a toy.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

We're in the midst of trying to get external investors and it seems like my worst nightmare. 

A couple of years of expensive mediocore "success"
Best of luck to you.

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

We're in the midst of trying to get external investors and it seems like my worst nightmare. 

Best of luck to you.

Has Taylor not got back to you on the back of that video yet? Still haven’t decided if that was cringe or clever lol

Just now, andrewh said:

Has Taylor not got back to you on the back of that video yet? Still haven’t decided if that was cringe or clever lol

It definitely wasn't clever. So...

It's our AGM tomorrow so I'm looking forward to finding out how successful it's been (my expectations are not high).

2 minutes ago, andrewh said:

oh it was defo cringe. I don't think I've recovered. 

Out of interest, what is the price of Saints? Is it the £5-6m or is it the cash in bank, club and land value? If so, that's £20m plus. Given the residual is going to the community fund, it could be transformative for sport in Perth....

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It definitely wasn't clever. So...

It's our AGM tomorrow so I'm looking forward to finding out how successful it's been (my expectations are not high).

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

oh it was defo cringe. I don't think I've recovered. 

Saved me saying what I really thought of it. Susan Calman levels of parochial cringe. On field you seem to have picked up. Maybe the players watched the video and thought they better buck their ideas up?

25 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Best of luck to you.

Summed up my feelings also. 🤷‍♂️

Debt for very little then years of debt pain after. 

I know that sounds negative but it's much closer to the reality of what will happen. Much more likely anyway than it going smoothly without issue and not being treated like a vanity project.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Bridge of fucking Earn?

Get Tae f**k, I'm out.

That was in the press a while ago and my first thought was that it absolutely reeks of the Browns selling Saints their land that they can't get shot of or build on out there. 

Moving isn't necessary at all but if they did not out there. Somewhere within civilisation please. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe