Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

I totally get the principle of taking punts on players who are unproven at your level as cheap cover in the hope they have something about them, particularly when they're young. If they develop into a better player than expected and you've unearthed a hidden gem then great, if they don't then you've cheaply padded out the squad with someone who barely plays rather than having someone with that amount of playing time making Ali Crawford money.

The issue is that Josh McPake should fit that profile of unproven cheap cover for a League One club and is probably a risk too far for a Championship club, never mind a Premiership club that needs a rebuild to escape a cycle of too much deadwood landing them in relegation battles. There's gambling on cheap options with a bit of potential, then there's burning money on players who've done absolutely nothing in their careers to suggest they're close to a Premiership player for the sake of it.

He was good for Harrogate Town in League Two, I'm sure. I remember the hype around him back then.

Ultimately he's 22 and spent his last 4 years at Rangers been papped around on loan (6 different clubs). I've never, ever, seen that actually benefit a player and it always ends with them losing something mentally.

Whether a "home" helps him or not I don't know, but he's been training with us since at least February so it's been a long trial. He'll be fully aware this is last chance saloon for his full time career too.

He could bomb or he could star, or he could 800 minutes all season as Carey/Wright/May/New Winger are all ahead of him while he is 3rd choice on both wings.

Both these players should have been playing as trialists in the matches over the next few weeks, not handed two-year deals when they've done nothing in their careers to earn them.

And where is Adam Webb?

16 minutes ago, Radford said:

And where is Adam Webb?

This is what's worrying me, and has me thinking the budget is cut because there's now doubt about the whole thing.

31 minutes ago, Radford said:

Both these players should have been playing as trialists in the matches over the next few weeks, not handed two-year deals when they've done nothing in their careers to earn them.

And where is Adam Webb?

TBF Mcpake has basically been on trial everyday for months. The budget cuts/restructuring would still have been happening if Webb was in the door as well. There's not a hope in hell we'll be throwing three grand a week over three years and paying fees for back up players, it HAD to change. Whether Levein has the minerals to build a squad for St Johnstone? That's debatable but I kind of think he deserves his chance. Time will tell whether the whole Webb/Levein scenario that's about to be played out will work, I for one will let it play out a bit more before I spunk or spew my load on here, unlike many.

Go with the flow wherever it takes us and just remember it's only a game.

Be interesting to compare the deal McPake is on with that offered to Taylor Steven who seems a far better option to me. Padding a squad out before we even have a proper squad is a bold move, not been a good week on the transfer front. Does anybody know what’s happening with Webb? 

26 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Be interesting to compare the deal McPake is on with that offered to Taylor Steven who seems a far better option to me. 

They're different and could play together, tbf. One right footed and best off the left, one left footed and best off the right.

I'd rather Steven than McPake too but there's been suggestions Steven isn't going to renew regardless as he's offers from abroad.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is what's worrying me, and has me thinking the budget is cut because there's now doubt about the whole thing.

Hard not to start thinking this might be the case. It's possibly not, but the defining silence, even from journalists close to the club is interesting. 

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

TBF Mcpake has basically been on trial everyday for months. The budget cuts/restructuring would still have been happening if Webb was in the door as well. There's not a hope in hell we'll be throwing three grand a week over three years and paying fees for back up players, it HAD to change. Whether Levein has the minerals to build a squad for St Johnstone? That's debatable but I kind of think he deserves his chance. Time will tell whether the whole Webb/Levein scenario that's about to be played out will work, I for one will let it play out a bit more before I spunk or spew my load on here, unlike many.

Go with the flow wherever it takes us and just remember it's only a game.

More than happy to give Levein a chance but wasting what little budget we have on players that most supporters that have seen play question their ability to even play in the championship is not a good use of the budget. 

Would we not be better paying a bit extra for a sure thing, like Paul Hanlon would've been or just not bothered signing someone like McPake who was quite clearly on the slide down and out of the leagues?

Straight two year deals is mental too. Feel like we've learned nothing from the last few years.

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Would we not be better paying a bit extra for a sure thing, like Paul Hanlon would've been or just not bothered signing someone like McPake who was quite clearly on the slide down and out of the leagues?

Maybe they tried to get Hanlon but had the choice of matching Raiths 3yr deal or missing out?

29 minutes ago, Kyle said:

More than happy to give Levein a chance but wasting what little budget we have on players that most supporters that have seen play question their ability to even play in the championship is not a good use of the budget. 

Straight two year deals is mental too. Feel like we've learned nothing from the last few years.

Aye it looks like shoddy business to us just now but let's wait and see what the bigger picture looks like in August. I'm still on the fence regarding the management team, on one hand I think they deserve their chances. Then I remember some of the decisions last season and am livid they're still there.

3 years for Hanlon isn't any better than what Davidson was handing out, that's a no from me.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe they tried to get Hanlon but had the choice of matching Raiths 3yr deal or missing out?

Fair. Id rather wait or target others before going baw deep on a 2 year deal for a player who just doesn't look up to it however.  Given the other options we have at the back, im not sure we were in the position to take a punt. 

22 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Aye it looks like shoddy business to us just now but let's wait and see what the bigger picture looks like in August.

I think the problem is we tried this last season, keeping the faith.

Should Levein be judged on what happened with MacLean? No. But nobody wants to have their pants pulled down again.

32 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think the problem is we tried this last season, keeping the faith.

Should Levein be judged on what happened with MacLean? No. But nobody wants to have their pants pulled down again.

Of course we don't but surely you have to let him have a chance at building a squad? We are currently in the middle of a takeover, as much stability as possible is needed. Until Mr Webb and his associates get in about the day to day running and either just let it run(but with a mulled wine and hot dog fun park) or sack every c**t then it's a case of pissing with the cock we have.

Edited by tree house tam