Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Best news of the week by a distance. This is going to be Taylor's breakthrough season.

Aye. From what I saw of him at Alloa, which isn't enough to fairly judge, he reeks of young Stevie May in a lot of ways.

Strong, direct, ballsy. Genuinely think you're right and in 12 months we'll be fielding offers for him.

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Not if these are the two signings that the ITK posters have got us excited about.

I'm not convinced we'll get any "exciting" proven signings tbh. I think maybe County are the only side we'll be able to "beat" to signings in the top flight? And they'll offer more. Then you have Championship sides looking like they're on the rise like Raith/Partick who are launching money about too. How many players are picking us, who rattle through managers/players and are in relegation battles every year, ahead of them? 

I think every signing will be a form of punt, from the unproven youths/lost potential/lost their way pile, and we just have to hope Levein gets it coming together. It's the price we pay for the last few years mess.

In a better position than last year, however not quite over the mire.

Think it’s safe to say now those who haven’t resigned will be moving on. I suspect we’ll see some more news over the next week. 

On the subject of Webb, the SFA granted approval but wanted assurances on keeping name, colour & badge the same, or so courier stated. With the fact it’s a monthly meeting I presume there won’t be much movement on that front until their next meeting. 

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Do we really need another striker? 

I think he's more of a winger than a striker, but it maybe signals May is away.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he's more of a winger than a striker, but it maybe signals May is away.

He’s a striker who can play out wide in an attacking team, very much not a traditional winger. He scored a load of goals playing out there in League One but he’s not someone who can run with the ball and get crosses in, he’s more about using his height, finding gaps in between defenders and having good movement. 

I love him, and you’ll struggle to find a more likeable player, but I’m very surprised he’s potentially getting a move to a higher level. Saying that, I think he’d be a better signing than Sanders or McPake.

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

He’s a striker who can play out wide in an attacking team, very much not a traditional winger. He scored a load of goals playing out there in League One but he’s not someone who can run with the ball and get crosses in, he’s more about using his height, finding gaps in between defenders and having good movement. 

I love him, and you’ll struggle to find a more likeable player, but I’m very surprised he’s potentially getting a move to a higher level. Saying that, I think he’d be a better signing than Sanders or McPake.

I think he'd be used like May is. Sort of 4th/5th choice up front, who can also cover a wide position and be a workhorse there at a push.

All while earning half the money and being 8 years younger.

Feels very much like someone's decided too much on is spent on back up players approaching the twilight of their career, and instead less will be spent across "experienced" younger players who have something to prove at this level.

It only works if its supplemented by quality that can already play at this level though, I think.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Well well well, are folk going to dry their pants now?

Is it really knicker wetting to say signing players that didn't shine in the league below appropriate signings for Saints, especially when we have a small budget? 

McGill would be ok, Douglas feels like the kind of player who'd work well in a 5 or behind Carey in a 4. Both would bring real quality. 

Edited by Kyle

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Is it really knicker wetting to say signing players that didn't shine in the league aren't appropriate signings for Saints, especially when we have a small budget? 

The knicker wetting comment was aimed at the several posters being vocal about Steven not being offered a deal.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he'd be used like May is. Sort of 4th/5th choice up front, who can also cover a wide position and be a workhorse there at a push.

All while earning half the money and being 8 years younger.

Feels very much like someone's decided too much on is spent on back up players approaching the twilight of their career, and instead less will be spent across "experienced" younger players who have something to prove at this level.

It only works if its supplemented by quality that can already play at this level though, I think.

He’d be fine in that role, very injury prone (with a real mix of injuries) but he showed in the second half of last season that he’s a very capable Championship forward and even on an off day you can always rely on him to put in a shift and be a nuisance. Certainly more appealing than having someone on 2k a week in that role.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

He’d be fine in that role, very injury prone (with a real mix of injuries) but he showed in the second half of last season that he’s a very capable Championship forward and even on an off day you can always rely on him to put in a shift and be a nuisance. Certainly more appealing than having someone on 2k a week in that role.

Stevie May on £2k a week? He wouldn't get out of bed for that!