Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

I’d be surprised if a midfielder who needs to play in a 3 because he doesn’t do the defensive or attacking side very well ends up playing for a top end English Championship side but that’s just my opinion. 

I think with the right coaching he will improve where he needs to improve. He's not the only flawed player who's been with us over the past few years and never seemed to have any of it worked on.

Not that it means much, but Phillips always looked like your main player in the games against us last season. I reckon in a better St Johnstone team or just a better team overall, he'd be more appreciated.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not that it means much, but Phillips always looked like your main player in the games against us last season. I reckon in a better St Johnstone team or just a better team overall, he'd be more appreciated.

I think he's one of those players who looks better the less you see of them. Most opposing fans say/said similar to you, while most Saints fans think he's a bit of a nothing player.

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he's one of those players who looks better the less you see of them. Most opposing fans say/said similar to you, while most Saints fans think he's a bit of a nothing player.

I think opposition fans will see the nice we turns or breaking up play, but not the inability to actually pass the ball or do anything remotely creative.

Dan Phillips pre Christmas would have been a loss, post Christmas Dan Phillips is most deffinately not a loss. Frustration is that, there is probably the makings of a really good player in there, but the lacking bits really let him down and by this age, I suspect it's never going to come or will develop too late into his career.

Kind of feels like to same as Anderson at Dundee. Always thought he looked like a right talent, but has a meh reputation. 

32 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Kind of feels like to same as Anderson at Dundee. Always thought he looked like a right talent, but has a meh reputation. 

He's always reminded me of Ross Callachan tbh, one that'll look good in the Championship due to his energy but never look good in the top flight due to his lack of technical ability.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

You’re spot on, he was our best central midfielder by a mile last season. Far from perfect, but we were a much better team when he played.

Fair enough we needed a big clear out, but when it came down to the crunch, it was the likes of Mitov, McGowan, Gordon and Phillips who were the leaders in the team and, along with Carey’s assists and Sidibeh’s goals, played a big part in keeping us up.

Losing them is fair enough if we bring in upgrades, but when you lose them and are left with Olufunwa, Connor Smith, Matt Smith and Max Kucheryavyi, the picture isn’t quite so rosey.

Still hopeful we have a lot of business to come and add some quality, but on paper at present we look a far weaker squad than the one which avoided the play-offs by 2 goals last season.

9 days out from the competitive action and we dont have a left back or an experienced CB 🥴 Even if we sign someone in next couple if days how can they possibly be match fit? 

looking like another year and another wasted cup opportunity. Financially its so bad getting papped out the league cup at the group stage. Scunnered. 

Edited by John Bonham

17 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

9 days out from the competitive action and we dont have a left back or an experienced CB 🥴 Even if we sign someone in next couple if days how can they possibly be match fit? 

looking like another year and another wasted cup opportunity. Financially its so bad getting papped out the league cup at the group stage. Scunnered. 

Exactly! We have lost our way. 3 seasons of rubbish

I seriously doubt we will sign anyone with any quality.

The end result will be relegation and that will be followed by another

We will be plying our trade, if we exist,with the Also Rans of Scottish football.

That is a low bar.

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

We will be plying our trade, if we exist,with the Also Rans of Scottish football.

That is a low bar.

FB_IMG_1621875719803.jpeg.d0400f7135e5a55ef53d5c0dbbd1dab0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

That is a low bar.

Would love to spend a night in a pub with you Mr happy.not !!

3 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

That is a low bar.

Doom merchant - get behind your team with some positivity.  You have not seen them in a competitive match and you have them relegated.