Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Sounds familiar 😂

Aye 😂

Guess ideally he'd just be back up to Cameron and allow Parker to go on loan again.

Comparing this year to last 

Notably worse goalkeeper

We had 3 centre backs you hoped you could rely on then, I'd say you've got 1 guaranteed good option and 1 that has shown he might be up to it, albeit in the league below 

Wingback options - maybe slightly better? Wright still there with Keltjens, Raymond more of a wing back than either Robinson or Gallacher

Midfield is much the same without Phillips so would depend on how much weight you put behind him. 

strikers notably better, IMO. 

I think we're worse but with more potential as things stand. Just my view though. 

Levein wants pacey CBs then(potentially)signs an immobile has been? If this happens he deserves all the criticism coming his way. There are just so many available and better CBs out there, we just don't need to go down that route.

Edited by tree house tam

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Levein wants pacey CBs then(potentially)signs an immobile has been? If this happens he deserves all the criticism coming his way. There are just so many available and better CBs out there, we just don't need to go down that route.

I dont think he'll sign him tbh, but you could see the logic IF he truly believes that Cameron/McClelland/Sanders are all capable of being regulars and that he can trust Parker or Olufunwa.

29 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think we're worse but with more potential as things stand. Just my view though. 

Aye, I think its the unknown that feels different this year. Last Summer probably the same but it all happened so late and looking back was kind of scattergun? This Summer feels more planned out and structured to a degree (not having a LB signed for the first game shouldnt have happened really).

Theres another chance for a new core to emerge from this group.

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye 😂

Guess ideally he'd just be back up to Cameron and allow Parker to go on loan again.

No. Ideally we sign a centre half with quality.  He obviously doesn't have the pace that Levein said new centre backs would have either. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, I think its the unknown that feels different this year. Last Summer probably the same but it all happened so late and looking back was kind of scattergun? This Summer feels more planned out and structured to a degree (not having a LB signed for the first game shouldnt have happened really).

Theres another chance for a new core to emerge from this group.

Who's the core from this group?

5 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Who's the core from this group?

There isn't one yet, so there's room for some to grow into that role. 

You don't have leaders until you do.

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There isn't one yet, so there's room for some to grow into that role. 

You don't have leaders until you do.

I'm feeling pretty negative about the majority of the squad and the management team at this moment in time. So was just wondering if you were seeing something positive. 

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

In terms of sort of direct swaps to me we've effectively gone like this from Leveins starting point to now, i think...

Mitov - Rae

Gordon - McClelland

Considine - Cameron

McGowan - Sanders

Gallacher - Raymond

Brown - Keltjens

Robinson - ?

Phillips - Essel

Crawford - Connor Smith

Costelloe - McPake

Jephcott - Sidibeh

Quality wise I'd say Keltjens and  Sidibeh are the only clear upgrades so far?

So we’ve got rid of Dara Costelloe and managed to replace him with someone even worse? Happy fucking days, well done to everyone involved. 

5 hours ago, Costanza said:

So we’ve got rid of Dara Costelloe and managed to replace him with someone even worse? Happy fucking days, well done to everyone involved. 

And Leveins confirmed this morning that McPake is ahead of Taylor Steven in the pecking order too, as Steven seems likely to be sent out on loan once he signed another attacking player.

Wild.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

And Leveins confirmed this morning that McPake is ahead of Taylor Steven in the pecking order too, as Steven seems likely to be sent out on loan once he signed another attacking player.

Wild.

Isn’t this ideal for his development?

Surely if we’re signing a starting winger, you’d rather McPake sit on the bench and barley play than Taylor Steven.

24 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

Isn’t this ideal for his development?

Surely if we’re signing a starting winger, you’d rather McPake sit on the bench and barley play than Taylor Steven.

If he goes on loan this season then we'll be expecting him to make his top flight breakthrough at 22. IMO it'll just be Cammy Ballantyne all over again by that point with everything coming too late.

I'd rather see him genuinely compete with Wright for the right wing spot because I think there's every chance he could score more than him and be first choice within the next year.

I'd hope the other winger he wanted, assuming he wasn't talking about Aaron Cocks, was a pacey left sided option.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If he goes on loan this season then we'll be expecting him to make his top flight breakthrough at 22. IMO it'll just be Cammy Ballantyne all over again by that point with everything coming too late.

I'd rather see him genuinely compete with Wright for the right wing spot because I think there's every chance he could score more than him and be first choice within the next year.

I'd hope the other winger he wanted, assuming he wasn't talking about Aaron Cocks, was a pacey left sided option.

22 is ancient right enough. 

4 minutes ago, The Marly said:

22 is ancient right enough. 

I feel like for a winger it is, tbh. They need top flight experience before then or you're capping how good they can be.

O'Halloran was 22 when he signed for us and I think you could tell he lacked stuff he shouldve learned by then.

I'm probably wrong but I just think a 21yo who's had the season Stevens just had deserves an actual chance in the top flight instead of papping him out on loan again.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I feel like for a winger it is, tbh. They need top flight experience before then or you're capping how good they can be.

O'Halloran was 22 when he signed for us and I think you could tell he lacked stuff he shouldve learned by then.

I'm probably wrong but I just think a 21yo who's had the season Stevens just had deserves an actual chance in the top flight instead of papping him out on loan again.

O'Halloran was very good for us in his first spell. I'd rather Steven stayed with us this season,  but if he gets the right loan, then it could be a very good move. For me, it would very much depend on who else comes in.

I see Levein is also saying he'll make a decision about whether Fran goes on loan or not after the group games.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm of the same opinion. At 21, you shouldn't be going out on a 'development' loan. He'd gain more by staying and fighting for a first team place than going back to league 1.

Given that we are a develop and sell club, we need the academy players to be hitting the first team in their teens to get a couple of years out of them before we sell them on for profit. 

The manager sees him every day in training and bounce games against Premiership players. He has to go by what he sees rather than a few highlight goals in league 1. Which is what most of you boys are going on. You might not like it but the guy in charge obviously doesn't think it's beneficial for him to stay at this point.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

The manager sees him every day in training and bounce games against Premiership players. He has to go by what he sees rather than a few highlight goals in league 1. Which is what most of you boys are going on. You might not like it but the guy in charge obviously doesn't think it's beneficial for him to stay at this point.

Levein watched McPake in training for months and gave him a 2yr deal, let's not pretend he can't get things wrong.

Steve Lomas thought Stevie May needed another loan.

Thank f**k TW was brave enough to give folk like him and McCann a chance.