Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Levein watched McPake in training for months and gave him a 2yr deal, let's not pretend he can't get things wrong.

Steve Lomas thought Stevie May needed another loan.

Thank f**k TW was brave enough to give folk like him and McCann a chance.

Of course he can and has quite a few times but let's not kid ourselves on that we can see the full story here. He's giving the youngsters until the end of the group games to impress, it's up to them to do that. If not? Off you pop on loan and prove it.

17 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Of course he can and has quite a few times but let's not kid ourselves on that we can see the full story here. He's giving the youngsters until the end of the group games to impress, it's up to them to do that. If not? Off you pop on loan and prove it.

His comments to me are that he doesn't expect to sign another winger until after the group games so Steven will stay until then.

Just now, tree house tam said:

Seems like Random fucks up more than Levein.  I'm shocked.

Point stands IMO, it would be wasting time loaning him out again. He's full of confidence and too good for L1, give him a proper chance.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Point stands IMO, it would be wasting time loaning him out again. He's full of confidence and too good for L1, give him a proper chance.

L1 isn’t mentioned, he could end up in championship quite easily, which would benefit him more if he’s not starting with us. I actually hope both the young ones prove their worth and are considered first team picks .

3 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

L1 isn’t mentioned, he could end up in championship quite easily, which would benefit him more if he’s not starting with us. 

I know it would likely be a Championship loan, I just don't agree that playing games at a lower level is better for every player than competing at a higher level.

For Steven I think the squad lacks his profile of winger, he's the exact right type to challenge Wright, he's proven too good for L1, and his confidence is so high he'll try things that could easily come off and just propel him into being really good for us.

Or we loan him out to Dunfermline, watch him stagnate in a poor side, and get him back with all that momentum/confidence gone, and pat ourselves on the back he played 10 more games at a lower level than he would've with us.

I know it would likely be a Championship loan, I just don't agree that playing games at a lower level is better for every player than competing at a higher level.

For Steven I think the squad lacks his profile of winger, he's the exact right type to challenge Wright, he's proven too good for L1, and his confidence is so high he'll try things that could easily come off and just propel him into being really good for us.

Or we loan him out to Dunfermline, watch him stagnate in a poor side, and get him back with all that momentum/confidence gone, and pat ourselves on the back he played 10 more games at a lower level than he would've with us.

What you mean is he gets the odd game for saints, tries things that don’t come off and very quickly turns into a scapegoat for the fans. How dare we have players try to shoot from distance, or actually take on a full back!!!

If he his going to try playing these younger players in the group stage then at least play them in their best positions. And for more than 5 minutes.

The difficulty I imagine the manager has got is he'll have been told there will be X more budget available if they get through that group then per round after that. If they get a financially favourable draw as well he'll probably get most of that to spend too. 

It then gives him a decision to make.  He knows we can't have a repeat of last year as well as that does the squad no favours going into the league campaign against better sides with confidence low as well. 

If we've won the group before the final game though then the likes of Stevens and others can start that final game. "Show us what you're made of them"

Levein won't be scared to give these younger players a chance though if he thinks they're ready. We can debate whether he's correct or not about them being ready but I'm not sure we'll ever know. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

36 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

If we've won the group before the final game though then the likes of Stevens and others can start that final game. "Show us what you're made of them"

Levein won't be scared to give these younger players a chance though if he thinks they're ready. We can debate whether he's correct or not about them being ready but I'm not sure we'll ever know. 

I’d rather make sure we get to 12 points.  Chances are Hibs and Dundee will get 12 points so that’s 6/8 seeds taken 

Steven shouldn't be seen as one you're scared to play incase you lose when you're happy to start Sanders, Essel, and McPake.

Steven shouldn't be seen as one you're scared to play incase you lose when you're happy to start Sanders, Essel, and McPake.

Exactly. If the manager looks at his players and doesn't think they are first team ready, then they shouldn't be there or if still young, put straight out on loan.

14 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Exactly. If the manager looks at his players and doesn't think they are first team ready, then they shouldn't be there or if still young, put straight out on loan.

And leave yourself short? Right you are.

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

And leave yourself short? Right you are.

Short of what though? If he looks at his bench and he thinks a player on it isn't ready, then he wouldn't put them on regardless.

He has either re signed or signed a fair chunk of this squad now. If he thinks a player is not at first team level, they shouldn't be there. Pre season is one thing, try out youth players etc, but competing games, I'd rather be one or two short on the bench that have the manager have bums on seats that he knows he will not use. 

22 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Short of what though? If he looks at his bench and he thinks a player on it isn't ready, then he wouldn't put them on regardless.

He has either re signed or signed a fair chunk of this squad now. If he thinks a player is not at first team level, they shouldn't be there. Pre season is one thing, try out youth players etc, but competing games, I'd rather be one or two short on the bench that have the manager have bums on seats that he knows he will not use. 

That's how you alienate players and ruin a relationship with them potentially beyond repair..

Imagine how delighted they'd be sitting in the stand and knowing the manager has chosen to have no one on the bench instead of them?

46 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

He's already stated that this is their time to impress to be included in the first team squad for this season. They're getting their chances whether that be game time, bounce games or in training. If they're to be loaned out we will bring in others to fill what we need.