Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

When it became clear that Levein was hanging around, I got why, however there had to be a clear improvement on last year. 

Progress from the league cup group stage. - Failed 

A better finish than last season 

Qualify for the 6th Round of the Scottish cup. 

He’s already failed one of three, and for me he should walk. 

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

He’s already failed one of three, and for me he should walk. 

In general I’m not a fan of constantly changing managers and I think there’s no chance he will walk. Big test for the new owners though, because Levein should never have survived last season and the fans are already disgruntled despite the league not having even started. Honestly think if Webb does the right thing and gets rid of Levein it will energize the fan base. Personally would try and persuade Peter Leven to take it on but can understand those who want Rhys McCabe.

Getting rid of Levein is absolutely required and it would definitely lift the fanbase. However we’d still be stuck with his players. He’s wasted what is a minimal budget on some absolute dross and “projects” he thinks he can succeed with. Some folk have said we have an almost passable first eleven; I don’t think that’s true at all. We’ve got at best three or four players that are adequate to be playing right now. And even amongst them there are considerable doubts for different reasons. A new manager would hopefully at least give the team an identity, some structure and a plan. That would be a start.

Edited by Costanza

A lack of experience was one thing that killed us last night. We needed someone on the pitch to take the initiative when it was clear whatever the plan was, it wasn't working.

Actually thought the one player who maybe did that was Liam Parker, who went early and direct with his passes, as opposed to Saunders and McClelland sauntering about, allowing Alloa to form their block.

MacPherson should have played enough football to be able to at least display something in that regard but showed nothing at all.

Alloa had a better attitude, played smarter football and had far more of a plan. To come second best on all of those fronts is an embarrassment.

Kyle Cameron will hopefully be the voice at centre back and might mean we can get away with one of the others alongside him but we need someone in central midfield.

Time for Levein and Webb to deliver.

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

MacPherson should have played enough football to be able to at least display something in that regard but showed nothing at all.

Interesting, to me, how he'll demand the ball and be that link until things go wrong, then he vanishes.

Just stopped demanding the ball at some point between Alloas 2nd and 3rd last night.

Agree that basically the only reserve/young player to actually stake a claim so far is Parker. He actually looks better than the players that are keeping him out. Last year he was found out at this stage but he seems to have learned from that.

The rest? I'm looking at McPake, C Smith, Max, Steven, Franczac and possibly a few more can go, whether that's loans or to f**k I don't really care.

A proper midfield general would have been bollocking those around him last night. Specifically telling the wide players to stay there and cajoling the full backs to get up level with him for proper passing options.

MacPherson demanding the ball but doing nothing to ensure he had players in areas for him to move it on to again comes back to a lack of experience.

Play a back four, hope Cameron can hold the hand of one of the other CBs and focus on finding a midfield general.

One thing that's sticks with me re MacPherson.

He loses possession a lot from our throw ins or at very least always ends up under being under heavy pressure because of the way he looks to play out from it. While this isn't based on doing some factual analysis but he never seems to just knocks it first time back to the thrower. 

He just seems to invite pressure by taking a touch and sort of flicking it in front of himself to run onto. 

I sometimes wonder with guys like him whether there's too much focus on the wrong/flashy things and there's little focus or not enough anyway on being able to walk before you can run. 

I can just see him in training practicing things like his 60+ yard pin point passes and feeling great about it. When in realty most of the time in game he's playing under pressure with an opponent closing him down swiftly so needs to consistently be able to just keep it simple, play that simple pass that allows the team to retain possession and work through the press from the other team. 

I know all a bit speculative but just often watch him and think why the f**k did he do that? 🤷‍♂️ 

Just feels like there's no plan on how they'll handle being pressed either. Just seems to result in wrong decisions and mostly aimless punts in the vague direction of a centre forward.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

10 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

It blows my mind that when they sat down to plan this season, the first thing they thought of addressing wasn’t the absolute mess in midfield.

Bold of you to assume there was a plan.

Raith fans as collective seem to think May will be announced there in the next few days.

Not a fan of letting him go, not a fan of signing Ikpeazu really, not a fan of spending money on Kirk, but do have huge sympathy with Makenzie Kirk at the abuse he'll get purely because he'll be seen as Mays replacement. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Raith fans as collective seem to think May will be announced there in the next few days.

Not a fan of letting him go, not a fan of signing Ikpeazu really, not a fan of spending money on Kirk, but do have huge sympathy with Makenzie Kirk at the abuse he'll get purely because he'll be seen as Mays replacement. 

And because he's the coaches/Leveins pals son.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The first thing I thought when we signed Kirk was he’s been set up if he doesn’t hit the ground running. 

Whole things a fucking shambles again.