Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Yes, there are a few unspoken things in that interview and I thought that was one of them. If Sunderland 'Til I Die is anything to go by, it's always good for the storyline if the initial manager is sacked within the first few months of the season.

13 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Levein has little internet in Saints in the long term. It's all about him now as the manager and what he wants now. 

Yeah looking long term the more interesting question will end up being what AW makes of Andy Kirk and if he trusts him to build something here for at least 3-5 seasons. We can’t succeed if managers barely last a full season here.

And tbh, having a fight with Paddy Cregg at a B-team match isn’t exactly the best way to make an impression on a new owner is it.

48 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Strange comment about not knowing who is in charge when Webb is away. Hasn't it already been confirmed that Stan Harris will be overseeing things for the early part of the season?

I took that to be him alluding to the planned CEO.

the “we’ve not really discussed the team” is def a dig at the fact web is talking about restructuring and professionalising/modernising the club rather than talking about jizzing cash on players.

American owner types in sport generally don't put up with managers giving the impression there is disagreement in direction. 

If he feels Levein is publicly airing stuff that should be private that's more likely to cost him his job than being shite on the park at this stage 😂

10 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

I took that to be him alluding to the planned CEO.

the “we’ve not really discussed the team” is def a dig at the fact web is talking about restructuring and professionalising/modernising the club rather than talking about jizzing cash on players.

Would you want to give a man who’s so unpopular with supporters that one loss in the league cup group stage had people demanding their departure more money than they need? 

It makes sense to sort the club, and structure, out before committing more funds to chuck at it, to me.

It's a bit shit and I'm fully expecting us to be relegated, but realistically the squads now at a point where even 3 big signings could still see us go down, and we've had plenty of windows now where moneys been chucked at it just to see us get no better/worse.

Not watched the interview, and probably won't tbh, but he's bound to know if he doesn't get a fast start then he's done.

I don't think what Levein said is wrong or particularly inflammatory to be honest. We don't know what the long term structure looks like and he just said that. Levein is very long in the tooth and probably can't be arsed with the likes of the documentary, I'd be the same in his position. 

We're definitely going to be pushing the commercial side more under Webb which can only be a good thing. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It makes sense to sort the club, and structure, out before committing more funds to chuck at it, to me.

Oh absolutely. I’ve been banging the drum for years for the desperate need for the club to be so much better run.

20 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Would you want to give a man who’s so unpopular with supporters that one loss in the league cup group stage had people demanding their departure more money than they need? 

While I don’t disagree it’d be a mistake to throw cash at him. i don’t hate Levein and still think his experices helping to restructure United and Hearts will do us more good than harm. 

edit to add, if we do go down this year it’ll still be more down to contracts handed out under Davidson/Flatery and the colossal mismanagement of Steve brown than anything that’s this season.

Edited by gingermunkie

Where is this expectation of relegation coming from? Genuine question. I’m talking in terms of media predictions and other teams’ fans. Of course it’s very plausible given our last couple of seasons, but I’m not seeing many people predicting County or United for the chop. I’d maybe understand if they had made some game-changing signings, but have they? 

We have a fairly respectable-looking backline on paper and, as a whole, one of the best groups of striking options available to any team outwith the Old Firm. I think our current squad could maybe squeak survival again. With just a couple of sensible additions, particularly a midfielder, we could be looking higher. 

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Levein has little internet in Saints in the long term. It's all about him now as the manager and what he wants now. 

If the fans are happy and actually want to attend games though, long term he'll get more money. 

Strange ish comment about attending 

When healthy I go to as many home games as I can

Don't care who the manager is  or how we play although exciting wins is a bonus 

I've seen a lot worse than CL In my 50+years watching Saints 

I suppose it's about habits though I wouldn't know what to do with myself staying away 

Bad enough last 2 seasons when poor health forced me to miss games

20 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Strange ish comment about attending 

When healthy I go to as many home games as I can

Don't care who the manager is  or how we play although exciting wins is a bonus 

I've seen a lot worse than CL In my 50+years watching Saints 

I suppose it's about habits though I wouldn't know what to do with myself staying away 

Bad enough last 2 seasons when poor health forced me to miss games

Our average gate reduced by circa 800 last season from the season before. 

There was only one game last season outside the Old Firm where the crowd was above 5000. 

There's been little reason for a number of seasons that would encourage a 3-4 game a season fan to attend anymore than that.