Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Shaun Rooney has just scored a header from a cross and I’ve been sick in my mouth.

Ach...we've had the best two from him.

Feel like we have lost our way as a club. watching Matty Kennedy and Shaun Rooney playing European football tonight make me think back to when Tommy was in charge players always wanted to come back to us after moves didn’t work out because of the stability and back to a place where they were appreciated. Now players don’t see us as a viable option to rebuild their career. It’s sad.

17 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I always enjoy it when THE FAT MAN posts on P&B or WAP to specifically let everyone know that he’s one of the best St Johnstone fans around. 

Where did I say I was one of the best lol

I don't post on wap as the far man either 

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

We have a fairly respectable-looking backline on paper.

I'd debate this. 

Cameron has never performed above the National League down South, McClelland only has a few good months in the Championship behind him, Raymond's CV is pretty weak, and then there's Keltjens.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It makes sense to sort the club, and structure, out before committing more funds to chuck at it, to me.

It's a bit shit and I'm fully expecting us to be relegated, but realistically the squads now at a point where even 3 big signings could still see us go down, and we've had plenty of windows now where moneys been chucked at it just to see us get no better/worse.

Not watched the interview, and probably won't tbh, but he's bound to know if he doesn't get a fast start then he's done.

Don't think folk realise just how broken the footballing structure is at the club. When the new CEO comes in, he or she... will be staggered at how amateurish elements of the club are.

If I was Webb, watching Levein in interviews would make me think that this guy isn't buying into his vision for the club tbh.

Levein is more capable than most to understand and contribute to more than just being a head coach, but clearly he cannot be arsed or at this stage doesn't have the apatite 

Edited by Theyellowbox

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

Don't think folk realise just how broken the footballing structure is at the club. When the new CEO comes in, he or she... will be staggered at how amateurish elements of the club are.

If I was Webb, watching Levein in interviews would make me think that this guy isn't buying into his vision for the club tbh.

Levein is more capable than most to understand and contribute to more than just being a head coach, but clearly he cannot be arsed or at this stage doesn't have the apititite. 

Every time I see Levein being interviewed, he just looks and sounds like he’d rather be anywhere else than doing that. Don’t know if that’s down to him being anti-media, a boring b*****d or just really not caring. Maybe it’s all 3. Whatever it is it doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence that he wants to do the job.

2 hours ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I've seen a lot worse than CL In my 50+years watching Saints 

I’ve not been going near as long as that, mid to late 80’s for me, but you’re spot on.

Levein is an average/ mediocre Saints manager, but not nearly as bad as the attitude of many paint him to be.  Other than the Jan-May double 5 months when it all came together for Davidson, Levein’s football has arguably been more positive than Davidson’s, and more organised (less shambolic) than Maclean’s.

The problem for Levein is we’ve had years of shite without anything decent along the way. We didn’t get to go during the double season, and even the last couple of seasons of Tommy Wright’s tenure had a fair amount of shite spells until the couple of months immediately before Covid ended things when we’d finally clicked for half a dozen matches or so when he went 3-5-2 and Hendry was a goal machine.

We’ve been shite to watch for ages and Levein’s just continuing the cycle.

1 hour ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Where did I say I was one of the best lol

I don't post on wap as the far man either 

I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek, Larky. But I have seen you post things like this before and state your confusion about why some people might be less inclined to attend matches when things aren't going so well, before making comparisons with your own style of support.

There is obviously nothing confusing about it, and there are many personal reasons why some people might decide to stay away if the football is neither successful nor entertaining. Fans like yourself are the lifeblood of the club and don't need convincing to show up every week, but that isn't relevant in terms of finding ways to hold onto existing supporters who aren't so emotionally invested or finding ways to attract new fans to the club. 

Hopefully we'll see more proactivity in this regard, leading to club growth under the tenure of Adam Webb. That would be nice!

On another note, sorry to hear you've been struggling with your physical health and I hope you're doing better now.

17 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek, Larky. But I have seen you post things like this before and state your confusion about why some people might be less inclined to attend matches when things aren't going so well, before making comparisons with your own style of support.

There is obviously nothing confusing about it, and there are many personal reasons why some people might decide to stay away if the football is neither successful nor entertaining. Fans like yourself are the lifeblood of the club and don't need convincing to show up every week, but that isn't relevant in terms of finding ways to hold onto existing supporters who aren't so emotionally invested or finding ways to attract new fans to the club. 

Hopefully we'll see more proactivity in this regard, leading to club growth under the tenure of Adam Webb. That would be nice!

On another note, sorry to hear you've been struggling with your physical health and I hope you're doing better now.

I assume you know me if you know both my forum names lol

1 hour ago, double deluxe said:

Luton Town sent a scout up here last week to watch him

A hat trick against Aberdeen live on sky tv should do the trick to get the big guns interested and get some serious money on the table.

Yet to see if extra sharpness makes a difference, but don't agree that Kimpioka is better than Sidibeh.

Given a choice I know who I'd rather have in my team, and who I'd rather play against. 

That's not me seeing Kimpioka is shit BTW, but just losing Sidibeh would be a large blow and I'm not sure it would be worth the money we'd bring it, which would likely be spent on loan deals.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yet to see if extra sharpness makes a difference, but don't agree that Kimpioka is better than Sidibeh.

Given a choice I know who I'd rather have in my team, and who I'd rather play against. 

That's not me seeing Kimpioka is shit BTW, but just losing Sidibeh would be a large blow and I'm not sure it would be worth the money we'd bring it, which would likely be spent on loan deals.

I think the fact we can have this discussion is a massive upgrade on where we’ve been in the last year or two.

I also prefer Sidibeh - just - over Kimpioka. If we do manage to keep him this time around I reckon he’s gone in January unless something goes badly wrong for him.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think the fact we can have this discussion is a massive upgrade on where we’ve been in the last year or two.

I also prefer Sidibeh - just - over Kimpioka. If we do manage to keep him this time around I reckon he’s gone in January unless something goes badly wrong for him.

Aye it feels nice to have some confidence we can score every week tbh, I'm not sure I've felt that way since Hendry left.

I think as much as anything having both of them - and I want them both starting every week - means you e always got an out ball no matter what. The key is that we don’t just resort to shelling it long every time.

They're very different players and should compliment each other if the club keeps them, they certainly both have enough about them to keep defenders busy. It's just a shame the players behind them aren't the best.

If we'd had these two in the side versus LASK I would've been pretty confident of going through.

While it was only one game so should be careful taking too much from it in isolation. 

What I've taken from the East Fife game versus the rest of the group games is if we can get the senior players out and therefore the strongest 11 there is a decent side there. Outside that strongest 11 there's a significant drop off in quality and experience - the combination of both is a concern. 

You do worry we'll see repeat of the likes of Alloa performance regularly if 2-3 of the likes of Carey, Wright, Sidibeh or Kimpioka end up out at the same time for a number of weeks. Especially if they end up wedging the likes of Connor Smith into a 5 at the back shape.