Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Think it all depends on what happens in the transfer market over the next few weeks. 

If we bring in 3 good quality starters then it’ll bring up the standard of the decent players we’ve got just now and I agree we could be competitive and do okay.  But tonight was about our strongest line up so everything else is a drop off in quality at present.

I know I’m against the grain here, but I’d like our new owner to stop courting popularity talking about scoreboards, smooth car parks and tv screens because some drunken Saints fans have slavered in his ear about it, or sent an email with all their great ideas.

Just get the cheque book out and get the first team squad up to what it needs to be.

Just written something similar on WAP

To be honest all that good work and engagement etc, and it is good to see and long may it continue. However was let down by an inferior product. I don't see many if any coming back any time soon 

I met Webb tonight, along with two of the shareholders. he's much more energetic than I thought his initial interview gave away. Plenty of charisma too. Can certainly see why Geoff likes him so much. 

Let’s hope Cami MacPherson keeps up his injury record, would have almost enjoyed that tonight despite the defeat if I didn’t have to watch that hopeless f**k taking too many touches, giving away possession, making stupid fouls, sailing set pieces into the keepers arms and waving his arms about at everyone else. 

50 minutes ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

Said it already, our best midfield performance last season was with Sprangler and Smith starting together against Killie. The two that should have started together tonight. 

Totally agree and can’t believe we haven’t seen this paring together since. I think those two with Carey is our strongest midfield at the moment 

Happy to see MacPherson is in fact a c**t, and I now have free reign to slaughter him without feeling bad he might see it.

Our major issue in the first half was him, again, hiding from the ball. He's great at acting like he wants it but half the time the CBs are looking for a pass and him (and Essel, who at least has an excuse of youth) were just stood next to their markers staring at them. It's why the shape had to change to get Smith in there and help gain some control of the ball.

We need a lot more than a few players, still, and a better way of building play than just launching it to the strikers until we're behind. But this is the hand Levein has chosen so it's just waiting to see how things improve now and where that takes us, I guess.

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Give it a few weeks and the investors will be as pissed off at Levein as most of you are.

Back to 3500 home fans next time out.

Just looked and we barely have any home games so aye, it's unlikely we attract many back.

No home game until 31st August, only that plus Celtic/Ross County before November. 

Slept on it. 
Felt we started off well, Sidibeh and Benji showing a good understanding of each other. However, dare I say it but Sidibeh looked liked he didn’t want to overstretch himself too much. 

McLelland looked very shaky, and a poor goal for him to concede leaving his man unmarked at the back post. 
I don’t think he’ll be back this season. 

Midfield, we need a competent one in there to really control it. Essel is far from finished article, Smith looked interested for the first time in a long time. 

Less said about Tommy Robinsons fan the better. 

I don’t think we end this season with Levein in charge either. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Happy to see MacPherson is in fact a c**t, and I now have free reign to slaughter him without feeling bad he might see it.

Always a thought when criticising a player online, especially if for example it's someone trying hard but not quite in form, in which case I mostly just don't do it. 

Doesn't apply here - f**k off Cami you bigot. 

The game changed last night when Cammy the c**t went off. We looked half decent after that by getting Carey and Smith on the ball and actually keeping it. Might go against the grain here but Ikpeazu could help just by having a forward who can hold the ball in and get us up the pitch. 

Think those that are saying 2or3 new starters and we’ll be fine are being optimistic. We neeed a goalie, at least one defender, one maybe 2 midfielders and probably a wide player. If we get that and they are decent we could be ok but at the moment we are woefully short. I’d really love to hear Levein try to defend starting Cammy the c**t over Carey because an ineffective Carey is still head and shoulders above a peak MacPherson.

Does anyone know if Kjeltens was injured? If not strange he didn’t make the bench ahead of Smith and McPake

And to think the bold Cami had the audacity to throw a couple of youngsters under the bus the other week. I lost count of how many times he threw his arms up at either the ref or his own players. I'm not sure there's been a player at Saints hated so much by his own fans? If it carries on it could lead to some right ugly scenes for the boy.

Feeling a bit more optimistic about the season ahead after last night.

Getting the negativity out the way and I feel bad saying this after his injury but McClelland was Aberdeens best player last night. Was caught out a few times before the first goal. Add the injury to this it was a horrendous night for him and hope he comes back stronger.

Cami was his usual self. He takes far too many touches and slows everything down. Every attack grinds to a halt because he doesn’t just pass and move, he takes 3,4,5 touches then either passes when there is no longer space or loses possession.

Positives: Rae looked better, love a goalie that goes up for corners at the end so bonus points for that. Neilson looked like he might do a job and Cameron looked like he will be a very good player at this level. Essel is a walking red card but very talented. Strikers did ok but not sure they complement each other, Benji is the man on form and Kirk and Nicky both would complement him. 

Matt Smith wow what a performance, looked like an international footballer last night. 

sort out the midfield and get an experienced centre back and get the passports out Europe here we come!

2 minutes ago, LarsGunnar Carlstrands Dog said:

Feeling a bit more optimistic about the season ahead after last night.

Getting the negativity out the way and I feel bad saying this after his injury but McClelland was Aberdeens best player last night. Was caught out a few times before the first goal. Add the injury to this it was a horrendous night for him and hope he comes back stronger.

Cami was his usual self. He takes far too many touches and slows everything down. Every attack grinds to a halt because he doesn’t just pass and move, he takes 3,4,5 touches then either passes when there is no longer space or loses possession.

Positives: Rae looked better, love a goalie that goes up for corners at the end so bonus points for that. Neilson looked like he might do a job and Cameron looked like he will be a very good player at this level. Essel is a walking red card but very talented. Strikers did ok but not sure they complement each other, Benji is the man on form and Kirk and Nicky both would complement him. 

Matt Smith wow what a performance, looked like an international footballer last night. 

sort out the midfield and get an experienced centre back and get the passports out Europe here we come!

Distinct lack of airtime for Andre Raymond there.....

His crossing is decent and if the other players were more switched on he was wide on his own with space to run into. I like him.

Keltjens crossing can be decent as well so move Neilson in one when he's fit.

Got to agree with what is being said about the positives, as I came away from that match with a few, which is more than can be said for last year. I can see what Levein has tried to bring in, with younger players to develop, etc. and it's an approach I'd much rather take than sign over the hill guys or 10/12 players on loan every season.

Firstly, that's the level of commitment and determination shown by Matt Smith, that not only does he need to replicate week in week out, but that the others around him should be aspiring to. He was excellent and showed how good a player he can actually be when played centrally and given runners around him. Compare him to the traffic cone that is McPherson who once again decides  the best form of pressing is to stand 5 yards off every single man, the less said the better as I'll just get angry again. A shitebag performance from a total shitebag, genuinely my most hated saints player ever after last night.

Other positives, Raymond was very good too. He's quick and boy can he cross a ball when he wants, with a bit more game time and players getting to understand his runs he'll be a threat down the left that we've missed, and whisper this quietly, Tanser left us. Bopnus is he's not a shitebag either and gets stuck in. Only downside is his height, but if Cameron or the midfield covers it'll be fine. Speaking of Cameron, I thought he was an upgrade on any of our centrebacks from last season, he's strong, commanding and actually wants to play to feet. Ok it was an initial error from him that led to Aberdeens second goal, but I'd rather he tries to play football than not. 

Final mention to Josh Rae, other than one poor kick, he did everything else that was asked of him last night and hopefully that helps his confidence a bit. He made some good saves and looked pretty comfortable. I think we still need a senior goalie, but he'll improve for sure and I suspect be an asset this season one way or another. 

Last point is the number of touches in the opposition box was much, much better last night. If you're not in the box you can't score and hopefully this is an indication that we're more of a threat going forward. 

Clearly there is still a long way to go, midfield balance is poor with a certain person in it. Essel needs to be taught to clalm down and Sidibeh looked like a man desperate to score at the detriment to the team, but for once I'll leave a post after a game with the majority of it being positive, which is a nice change. Also whilst not winning, we wanted an entertaining game for a big crowd to hopefully entice them back, I'd say we got that,

Leaders are emerging. Wright during the league cup and Smith last night, along with Cameron. 

Smith was outstanding last night, really neat and tidy on the ball, fully committed off it. Leading by example. 

I'd be more than happy to never see Macpherson play for Saints again. He's pretty much the opposite of what you'd want in a professional. 

12 minutes ago, Widge said:

Got to agree with what is being said about the positives, as I came away from that match with a few, which is more than can be said for last year. I can see what Levein has tried to bring in, with younger players to develop, etc. and it's an approach I'd much rather take than sign over the hill guys or 10/12 players on loan every season.

Firstly, that's the level of commitment and determination shown by Matt Smith, that not only does he need to replicate week in week out, but that the others around him should be aspiring to. He was excellent and showed how good a player he can actually be when played centrally and given runners around him. Compare him to the traffic cone that is McPherson who once again decides  the best form of pressing is to stand 5 yards off every single man, the less said the better as I'll just get angry again. A shitebag performance from a total shitebag, genuinely my most hated saints player ever after last night.

Other positives, Raymond was very good too. He's quick and boy can he cross a ball when he wants, with a bit more game time and players getting to understand his runs he'll be a threat down the left that we've missed, and whisper this quietly, Tanser left us. Bopnus is he's not a shitebag either and gets stuck in. Only downside is his height, but if Cameron or the midfield covers it'll be fine. Speaking of Cameron, I thought he was an upgrade on any of our centrebacks from last season, he's strong, commanding and actually wants to play to feet. Ok it was an initial error from him that led to Aberdeens second goal, but I'd rather he tries to play football than not. 

Final mention to Josh Rae, other than one poor kick, he did everything else that was asked of him last night and hopefully that helps his confidence a bit. He made some good saves and looked pretty comfortable. I think we still need a senior goalie, but he'll improve for sure and I suspect be an asset this season one way or another. 

Last point is the number of touches in the opposition box was much, much better last night. If you're not in the box you can't score and hopefully this is an indication that we're more of a threat going forward. 

Clearly there is still a long way to go, midfield balance is poor with a certain person in it. Essel needs to be taught to clalm down and Sidibeh looked like a man desperate to score at the detriment to the team, but for once I'll leave a post after a game with the majority of it being positive, which is a nice change. Also whilst not winning, we wanted an entertaining game for a big crowd to hopefully entice them back, I'd say we got that,

Was going to write a post but this sums up my feelings on the game pretty well. Yes, there were things that could be improved but I came away feeling there was at least something there - commitment, largely positive intent, a bit of excitement at times.

I’d have had Sprangler on for Macpherson at HT. 

Reflecting on it the first 15+mins was quite good and I was beginning to get a bit of confidence in us....then and this might be harsh a certain someone gets horrendously caught in possession with acres of space falls to the ground, throws his arms out and the game seems to turn on that and Aberdeen get a foothold we didn't really recover from