Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Footballer in being a thick c**t shouldn't be the shock you Saints fans are making it out to be. If he wasn't such a rancid footballer for you, I'm not sure your support would have shown the same level of uproar either.

It was always, always, always going to be a slap on the wrists, apology and move on. More fool you if you thought otherwise.

You don't get suspended and then forced out of the club for a retweet of a subject that puts the club in a lose-lose situation.

It's utter shite and I get your disappointment, I would be too if it was one of our players, but the expectation that this would play out any differently is mind-boggling IMO.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If he wasn't such a rancid footballer for you, I'm not sure your support would have shown the same level of uproar either.

but the expectation that this would play out any differently is mind-boggling IMO.

Your first paragraph has been a common theme over recent pages, and I'm not sure I've seen the expectation you are referencing.

I think a lot of us hoped that Webb wouldn't try and pretend that Cammy had given him an acceptable explanation for it though. That's the worst bit.

Edited by FrankChickens1

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

You don't get suspended and then forced out of the club for a retweet of a subject that puts the club in a lose-lose situation.

He retweeted a video, that almost got someone killed last time it was widely spread in the UK, from someone currently due in UK courts over terrorism charges.

This is more than the usual f**k up and I expected more than what we've got. The statement from MacPherson is genuinely an insult to everyone intelligence.

But I can already tell a lot of people will back this simply because they want to support Saints/Webb in everything, and I can't be arsed putting a downer on that, so I'll leave the subject on here too.

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

Did you actually want someone to lose their job because of a retweet?

No - I wanted them to move to the same job at another team. I haven't seen anyone genuinely demanding he be sacked for a few days now.

Also, in the context of recent events, even though it was just a retweet, it was hardly 'just a retweet'. It's not like he retweeted a picture of a puppy.

Edited by FrankChickens1

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

He retweeted a video, that almost got someone killed last time it was widely spread in the UK, from someone currently due in UK courts over terrorism charges.

This is more than the usual f**k up and I expected more than what we've got. The statement from MacPherson is genuinely an insult to everyone intelligence.

But I can already tell a lot of people will back this simply because they want to support Saints/Webb in everything, and I can't be arsed putting a downer on that, so I'll leave the subject on here too.

It's such an incendiary issue in the UK right now though. We're reasonable people and can agree that it's f**king disgraceful. A lot of the UK and as you've noted yourself from the St Johnstone FB pages etc are f**king morons though and the club had no way of coming out with a win. They'd be attacked one way or the other.

Levein rates MacPherson enough to give him a new deal and start him regularly - an apology, slap on the wrists and move on is the logical and most importantly easy solution for everyone involved. Gordon Strachan is a bit of a c**t but he's absolutely spot on when he states there's no morales in football.

There was never going to be a world where this played out differently.

2 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

I’d probably  lose my job if I retweeted white power videos.  

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

It's such an incendiary issue in the UK right now though. We're reasonable people and can agree that it's f**king disgraceful. A lot of the UK and as you've noted yourself from the St Johnstone FB pages etc are f**king morons though and the club had no way of coming out with a win. They'd be attacked one way or the other.

The mad right wingers would attack them anyway, and will continue to drag the clubs name through the mud for months.

20 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

My reading is that under the current code of conduct the club weren't able to sack him so are doing everything else within the current code. The line about the code of conduct being strengthened though is interesting. Assuming thats whats saved Macpherson this week, then next time any player steps out of line they'll be for the high jump. 

Given he couldn't be sacked not sure what else the club can do - we don't know what other actions are open to the club. Probably every chance he'll be offloaded asap (especially if he plays Sunday and sees what the Saints support think of him). 

As for his apology not sure what to think - we all know he's not the smartest of people. Maybe it will be a wake up call for him - but he needs to maybe have a word with his girlfriend about her comments, before shes got a boyfriend on the dole. 

Think this is pretty much it. He’s still a p***k and one that I will find hard to support whilst wearing the jersey, not sure I ever thought I’d say that about a Saints player.

Lets face it there are a lot of footballers that are very thick. Don't get me wrong, some are very intelligent too. 

Not naming names, but can think of some extremely thick footballers that County have hired over the years. Fortunately, for a lot of that they didn't have twitter in those days.

Just now, Biscuits said:

No, more because he's shite. We all knew it wasn't going to end in a termination, not for a retweet. It sounds like they've done what they could in the "code if conduct" but that's now updated so any similar shite can be dealt with a wee bit differently. It's the shite around the bones of the statement, that's not needed and cami's statement? That's just shite.

It's now going to rumble on with his own fans reacting to him every game, it'll get to him, it'll affect the team and he'll eventually get dropped and most probably leave.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Footballer in being a thick c**t shouldn't be the shock you Saints fans are making it out to be. If he wasn't such a rancid footballer for you, I'm not sure your support would have shown the same level of uproar either.

It was always, always, always going to be a slap on the wrists, apology and move on. More fool you if you thought otherwise.

Most Saints fans understood that it wouldn't be a sacking – but he's got off lightly. What I was expecting from the club was a stronger condemnation; a clearer statement of the club's inclusivity - and details of what practical things MacPherson would be doing to help repair the damage to the club and its reputation, such as a commitment to work with community groups so he could actually understand why his tweet was so moronic. Saying, effectively, 'after further research I was wrong' doesn't cut it.

That said, he won't be playing on Sunday, I'm sure.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 18.02.09.png

Edited by Mr Heliums

25 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

My reading is that under the current code of conduct the club weren't able to sack him so are doing everything else within the current code. The line about the code of conduct being strengthened though is interesting. Assuming thats whats saved Macpherson this week, then next time any player steps out of line they'll be for the high jump. 

Given he couldn't be sacked not sure what else the club can do - we don't know what other actions are open to the club. Probably every chance he'll be offloaded asap (especially if he plays Sunday and sees what the Saints support think of him). 

As for his apology not sure what to think - we all know he's not the smartest of people. Maybe it will be a wake up call for him - but he needs to maybe have a word with his girlfriend about her comments, before shes got a boyfriend on the dole. 

The club could, and should, freeze him out of the squads going forward.

Can only imagine what the current frozen out players will be thinking if they continue to be sat in the stand, whilst fully fit and ready to give 100% for the club, whilst MacPherson remains in the mathday squad. Not a good message or example to set by the team management or owners, were this to happen.

Sunday squad and upcoming squads will make for interesting reading.

Is it any wonder that the fortunes of Saints nose dived immediately after Cammy joined?

Is it any wonder the team spirit, the backbone of the successful decade of football we enjoyed, vanished within months?

Cammy just showed his true colours... How many players alongside him, when they were up against it just thought, "nah, not giving my all for someone like him"?

He can apologise all he likes, but we all know what he is now. If he was working alongside me I can guarantee I would show zero team spirit.

That is the disappointment for me. I probably won't bother trying to get up to Perth this season now as I don't want to be the one in the crowd who boos his every touch.

Footballers are as thick as shit, I saw the other day that Simon Ramsden - a guy that was part of our champions league team -  was retweeting a Tommy Robinson post calling Islam a "mental illness".

Don't idolize football players, some of them are arseholes.

3 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Footballers are as thick as shit, I saw the other day that Simon Ramsden - a guy that was part of our champions league team -  was retweeting a Tommy Robinson post calling Islam a "mental illness".

Don't idolize football players, some of them are arseholes.

I get your point, but I'm not sure who you're making it to.  I don't think idolizing Cammy Macpherson has been anyone's mistake here.