Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Posted (edited)

If we can't be positive after a 3-0 win against a team who just don't seem to lose to anyone outside the old firm, we'll never be positive. Yes Killie were down to 10 men early but we played some good football in that first half and the build up to the penalty was excellent too. I'm not getting lulled into a false sense of security - we clearly still need enforcements  - but that was an unexpected performance and result for me. 

Edited by Kyle

Fair play to Josh Rae after a couple of howlers in the LC, he’s been decent in our two league games so far to the point he’s barely mentioned.

Our defenders actually look a lot more capable than expected. They will have a few games over the next few months where they get a tough time I’m sure, but there’s signs that they could gel into a fairly steady back line.

We have a top six attack. Adama and Benji are a handful for any side. And with Clark, Kirk and Uche to come in we have options.

A couple of starting centre midfielders brought in and we could have a decent season, as it’s the area we are weakest.

Its hard to believe Aaron Essel is only 19. If we can get a good cm to play alongside him and learn off he’ll come on massively and play at a higher level.

Yeah I'm not sure we'll play many worse teams, in terms of performance, than Kilmarnock today tbh. A goal that early, plus them having a man sent off, helped a lot and that's not help I think we get regularly. 

But those things come from us. Wright was absolutely rattled early on by Sidibeh and spent the rest of his time on the parking trying to pre-empt everything because he knew Sidibeh was quicker and sharper, and that led to him lunging in on Kimpioka for the 2nd yellow. The goal comes again from Sidibeh just been sharper.

It was both a good result, with promising signs, but also not a performance that leaves you fully convinced we've turned a corner and are looking good. It's probably exactly the type of game you want to have this early though. Confidence/belief grows in the squad, you see where you need to improve, and you take the 3pts.

We scored more goals away from home today than we did in our first 10 away matches last season…

It was February before we scored our 3rd goal away from home.

Total away goals all last season was 12.

With our pace up front, we might well be a team better suited to playing away from home where our forwards have space to run into and hurt opponents..

That chance Watkins had towards the end of the game today is exactly what happens if you play Carey deep in midfield. He just can't be played there. 

Failed to deal with a high ball then beaten to the ball immediately after simply because the opposition player wanted it more. 

Mcinnes pretending he doesn't know how VAR works at full time as well. Doesn't know why Saints got a free kick after the VAR decided it wasn't a penalty. Simply because nothing can be changed if it's not a pen. That's it, simple - which he knows fine well.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

The main thing to take away from the game is that yes, we do need to improve, but we are competitive and will be in most games this season.

Our defence will improve as they play together and learn their roles. We have guys like Rae, Raymond, Neilson, Essel, Sidibeh and Kimpioka who will all hopefully improve as the season goes on. Even Matt Smith who's only 24 looks better than last season.

31 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

BBC attempt on sportscene of our formation is nothing short of embarrassing. 

Why bother?

MacPherson at right wing and Wright at left back 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, MacPherson is on the extreme right wing, so think this is fairly accurate.

6 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Of course, that pales into insignificance next to the despicable act of Alex Totten taping over Simon Stainrod scoring from the centre spot in 1991. 😡

Never happened*

*Think it was 1992.  Some f**king goal.

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Will he go with the same team next week?

Really hope so. Come out with a swagger and put their dodgy defence under pressure. Our strengths are all in attack, suspect we'll take a much worse doing if all we do is sit in. 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Really hope so. Come out with a swagger and put their dodgy defence under pressure. Our strengths are all in attack, suspect we'll take a much worse doing if all we do is sit in. 

Was kinda how I was thinking.

I'd rather lose 3-0 knowing they had a go playing the two up front and then in hindsight accepting it didn't work over losing 2-0 with playing with an additional man in midfield and then wondering 🤷‍♂️

We definitely have the bones of a decent team now, and it looks like we'd be solid either with a back 4 or 5.  Kimpioka and Sidibeh turning out to be such good options probably masks some other issues but who cares, let's enjoy them whilst they're here. 

20 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Sweep sweep

Not sweeping anything. As I’ve said on the match thread, he went off at the same time as another player who was getting his deserved standing ovation.