Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just a thought might be one where the 'investors' invest a bit to top up what the club can offer to get someone in?

Always thought for a club our size you prioritise backroom staff and get the best you can, this hopefully then maximises player development. In the past under the likes of Sturrock, Wright what seemed to be a middling player always seemed to improve 

C.V. is in, reads well tbh.

Held various management positions outside of football as well as coach/head coach at U8-U16 levels. Played up to Amateurs but excelled in the Pub League. Not on the sex offenders register. Holder of several coaching badges/certificates but not pro license but neither is Naismith. Not a bigot but a bit of a c**t. Call me, babes.

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

C.V. is in, reads well tbh.

Held various management positions outside of football as well as coach/head coach at U8-U16 levels. Played up to Amateurs but excelled in the Pub League. Not on the sex offenders register. Holder of several coaching badges/certificates but not pro license but neither is Naismith. Not a bigot but a bit of a c**t. Call me, babes.

If you need an assistant manager I’m happy to throw shoes at heads and put the cones out. 

2 hours ago, Kubotalad said:

On the plus side we might see some entertainment and most of us would probably accept relegation if we went down scoring and playing exciting football.

I certainly wouldn't. I've never understood this attitude. There's nothing entertaining about losing. I couldn't care less about trying to implement some sort of pretty football. What I want is for us to get back to being successful. I want a manager who will sort out the defence, get us organised, play our best players in their best positions, get us showing some character on the pitch, and essentially make us difficult to beat again. Take us back to being a team who our opponents hate playing against. We need to be aggressive on the pitch, but disciplined too. All of that is what will give us the best possible chance of being successful. Not focussing on some philosophy of attractive football. We're way too much of a soft touch at the moment and fixing that should be a major priority.

If we can get a manager in who can fix those basics, it'll give us a platform to start getting the other bits right so that we can climb our way back up the league. Getting relegated while scoring a couple of nice goals is not going to benefit anyone.

I really do not want Ian Murray. 

I don't want any of these kinds of individuals who go to the press with and talk negatively about other clubs like they've got some kind of superiority complex. 

It's fine to think "we should beat them" but his comments prior to the playoff were just exactly the attitude I don't want from our manager. "Natural order" - f**k off. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

I want a pragmatist back in charge at Saints. Someone who can get a lot from very little money, who can make us horrible to play against and who can win enough to stop this perpetual cycle of circling the drain, survive and then rebuild but with an even worse squad and a lower budget. That spending splurge in january and the summer how after the double is still being paid for now, agents ans opposing clubs wouldn't have believed their luck. 

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I really do not want Ian Murray. 

I don't want any of these kinds of individuals who go to the press with and talk negatively about other clubs like they've got some kind of superiority complex. 

It's fine to think "we should beat them" but his comments prior to the playoff were just exactly the attitude I don't want from our manager 

Exactly why I don't want Ian Murray too. Before he even starts you can tell he just doesn't get it or us as a club. 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I want a pragmatist back in charge at Saints. Someone who can get a lot from very little money, who can make us horrible to play against and who can win enough to stop this perpetual cycle of circling the drain, survive and then rebuild but with an even worse squad and a lower budget. That spending splurge in january and the summer how after the double is still being paid for now, agents ans opposing clubs wouldn't have believed their luck. 

Does this not basically describe the guy you've just sacked? I'm not questioning the decision to get rid of him, but would the club really be making this decision to go for more of the same?

Just now, Kyle said:

Exactly why I don't want Ian Murray too. Before he even starts you can tell he just doesn't get it or us as a club. 

Second this. Hard no on Murray for me. Comes across at a twat. Up there with Kevin Thomson in the w****r stakes.

Like others have said, a pragmatic manager who gets the limitations at the club, but understands the fans. Tommy Wright, Derek McInnes and Owen Coyle fully understood what Saints are and particularly in the case of Wright, fully bought into everything Saints.

We've kind of, (well not kind of,  have) lost some identity over the last few years and desperately need it back. 

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Does this not basically describe the guy you've just sacked? I'm not questioning the decision to get rid of him, but would the club really be making this decision to go for more of the same?

Not from what we've been witnessing. 

Some of the "tactical" stuff has been mind boggling to me. 

I don't want to sound like an old man here "against modern football" but we're St Johnstone with limited ability footballers. Against Motherwell we seen nonsense like the wing backs going inside and the deeper lying central midfielders drifting wide.

That's fine if you've got footballers who can do it but all it resulted in is Essels basically ending up in the wing back position trying to cross balls into the box (he struggled) while Wright was wondering around in the middle of the park while the ball is exactly where he should be! It just seems so so over thought.

Although there's been some debate amongst fans who was the driver of those ideas. I'm not convinced that's a Levein idea because like you I see him as more the keep it simple type. 

The other thing is this team are so weak, infuriatingly so. The guys he's signed are so so soft. We've got central defenders who dont attack the ball when it comes into the box. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We've not been particularly hard to play against under Levein. People seem to have a preconceived idea about him because of his age but if anything he's had us playing too open for a lot of it.

I made this at the start of September.

GWZDktZWAAANCIb.thumb.jpeg.b5588f9b0e8a5d2d2e7a97352dcac36d.jpeg

... and it's not great reading for him. Fairly sure we've only played Hibs since so it's 33 games, 8 wins, 18 losses, 46 goals conceded.

3 of the 8 wins came in his first month in charge, and we've not won at home since mid-December.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Probably yes, I backed the appointment and have done really since then (with a wobble after the split when things really went to shit). My view is, at the time he was appointed, he was the right kind of profile but possibly the wrong individual. Given his years of experience, I've been surprised how little he sees during a match as example, makes subs too late, leaves players exposed on the wings for too long, leaves players on the pitch that are on a tear to get sent off as examples. 

57 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Second this. Hard no on Murray for me. Comes across at a twat. Up there with Kevin Thomson in the w****r stakes.

Like others have said, a pragmatic manager who gets the limitations at the club, but understands the fans. Tommy Wright, Derek McInnes and Owen Coyle fully understood what Saints are and particularly in the case of Wright, fully bought into everything Saints.

We've kind of, (well not kind of,  have) lost some identity over the last few years and desperately need it back. 

What does this even mean? A fan wants their team to win games, what more is there to understand about them as a manager. Is he going to have to be your therapist or friend as well?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This is the reputation Levein trades off, but based on what we've seen over the last year it's not the reality. I thought he'd steady the ship, get back to basics - all those comforting cliches, really. But the reality was his tactics and in-game decisions were incredibly naive and he was being out-thought by opposition managers pretty much every week. I think there's a very good reason why it's been such a long time since Levein made a success of being a manager.

5 minutes ago, g martin said:

What does this even mean? A fan wants their team to win games, what more is there to understand about them as a manager. Is he going to have to be your therapist or friend as well?

Fans want team to win games obviously, but what fans want from the manager is someone won't talk the club down, understands that the club has as passionate a support as bigger clubs, despite the smaller numbers and possibly unlike most other clubs, Saints fans also take a bit of pride in that the club doesn't run up debts and very much has an eye always on being sustainable.

We've had managers come in before and commented on Perth not being a footballing town and taken the attitude that we are somehow lesser. 

Always find it weird when the Saints job comes up and the betting lists and media seem to push the "usual suspects" because it's not something we really do? I guess Levein maybe came into that category, but Coyle, McInnes, Lomas, Wright, Davidson and Macca were all appointments with their first "full time" gig I think? I'm sure Coyle had some caretaker experience and Lomas was at St Neots or something but we really don't usually just settle for mediocrity

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Any hint about the "rumours" etc?

WAP people seem to be saying he was in talks with another club about a role, and also that he and Kirk had fell out. 

Nothing more solid than that.