Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'm probably at the stage of being annoyed about the timing of the Levein sacking now. Up until the final couple of games of last season, I'd lost all enthusiasm for him but when he kept us up and it became clear he wasn't going to be sacked, you get behind that over the summer. What's the alternative?

I know the ownership situation was up in the air but they obviously weren't sure about him but he's gone now when it would have been much easier for a new manager to work with the situation in even July, if not May or June.

I try to never pin my colours to the mast too much when it comes to new managers but I'm possibly coming round to the idea of Tommy Wright more than I probably would have a few weeks ago.

If folk had to give one name, who would it be?

Tommy Wright. But, my concerns with him are that he tarnishes his reputation with Saints fans and his stint at Kille, who we in not a dissimilar situation to where we are now, was a bit of a disaster. 

58 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'm probably at the stage of being annoyed about the timing of the Levein sacking now. Up until the final couple of games of last season, I'd lost all enthusiasm for him but when he kept us up and it became clear he wasn't going to be sacked, you get behind that over the summer. What's the alternative?

I know the ownership situation was up in the air but they obviously weren't sure about him but he's gone now when it would have been much easier for a new manager to work with the situation in even July, if not May or June.

I try to never pin my colours to the mast too much when it comes to new managers but I'm possibly coming round to the idea of Tommy Wright more than I probably would have a few weeks ago.

If folk had to give one name, who would it be?

Really difficult to give just one name as while lots of names come to mind nobody actually stands out. I understand why some people want Tommy Wright but I have always believed you should move forward and leave the past behind. It also must be remembered that for all the good games there were plenty bad ones and for long spells it was not great to watch. Fans however are prepared to watch scrappy games if there is a positive outcome and Tommy Wright’s team did that consistently.

Ive already said Peter Leven and John McGlynn would be top of my list and I would add Alex Neil to that too. Whether we could afford him is in doubt but he apparently is open to coming back to Scotland so maybe would be a good shout. Whoever comes in though needs to be given the means to succeed. If they can somehow get us to the transfer window without being cut adrift at the foot of the table then maybe we can sort the goalie situation and the defence and go forward from there 

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

Is Peter Leven not just Barry Robson a year on? When we appointed MacLean, folk were saying we should have held off to see if he got the Aberdeen job.

Can’t see Leven taking your managers job. He’s already turned down Raith where success is more achievable. 
Some result yesterday though,  not an easy place to go at all. 

Edited by 1GregStewart

Seen a couple of shouts for him to be the next manager, but now off to Newcastle. Is Jack Ross still at Newcastle? Maybe a candidate for the job. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

5 minutes ago, derektaylor84 said:

Seen a couple of shouts for him to be the next manager, but now off to Newcastle. Is Jack Ross still at Newcastle? Maybe a candidate for the job. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

Certainly implies Jack Ross has another gig lined up.  

Tommy Wright makes a lot of sense given the timing of Levein's sacking and what will be needed over the next few months. 

Any manager is going to struggle with the current goalkeeping situation and lack of defensive options. We can’t wait until January to try to resolve these problems so having a manager who knows the club and league and what is required would hopefully give us a better chance of adding the right couple of players to help until January. 

In the longer term he’s proven he can build really good squads to do well in this league and I don’t see why he couldn’t do that again.