Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I’ve liked McGowan during his time with us, gives his all of that’s there no doubt. Obviously his off field antics are completely indefensible but on the park he is remarkably restrained in terms of retaliation etc. His biggest failing has been a complete lack of goals and there are just signs his best years are behind him. He’s 31 in October and whilst not old he plays with a high energy and maybe he’s slowing up slightly. I wouldn’t be adverse to him staying with us for another year but if Saints offered a longer contract he’d go with my blessing.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

I’ve liked McGowan during his time with us, gives his all of that’s there no doubt. Obviously his off field antics are completely indefensible but on the park he is remarkably restrained in terms of retaliation etc. His biggest failing has been a complete lack of goals and there are just signs his best years are behind him. He’s 31 in October and whilst not old he plays with a high energy and maybe he’s slowing up slightly. I wouldn’t be adverse to him staying with us for another year but if Saints offered a longer contract he’d go with my blessing.

Backs up what I thought about his potential strengths for us. We'll not be able to offer as much as Dundee in terms of wages but I'd imagine we'll offer him a 2 year contract which could swing it for us if Dundee are only willing to offer one.

15 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Keep all our experienced players for another season (Millar, Anderson, Mannus, Maclean) but be prepared to use them more  sparingly

If Tommy does this, he can hardly complain about not being able to match other clubs for signing targets.  All four will be among our highest earners, yet we could survive without them. And more pressingly,  if we're to arrest our decline of the past four years, we've run out of time for gradual introductions. We need more ambitious signings, and the quid-pro-quo is a smaller squad and saying farewells to at least a few of those high-earning players past their best.

Edited by Mr Heliums

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

another more physical, defensive, option (Abdul Osman on form)

It’s frightening how much he has regressed this season so the majority of thistle fans would be happy he’s taking up a wage elsewhere.

It’s far more likely he will either sign one more year as he’s Archies favourite so will be offered more money than he deserves + get his testimonial. Or more likely, go back down south to build his stupid clothing brand. 

4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

That’s my favourite current gif. But it wasn’t bait - I thought guys were genuinely talking about getting rid of the ‘high’ earners??

Phasing them out.

Like most players with fading ability, well at least as far as I can remember, Dundee fc will pay well over the odds to get them to Dens, so I welcome the thought of you boys taking our cast offs.

Phasing them out.
Like most players with fading ability, well at least as far as I can remember, Dundee fc will pay well over the odds to get them to Dens, so I welcome the thought of you boys taking our cast offs.

We’ve been quite nice about Gowser too. We didn’t pay over the odds for young Jack did we? Probs the add on we will get for his first international cap will pay those 3’s wages.

8 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

We’ve been quite nice about Gowser too. We didn’t pay over the odds for young Jack did we? Probs the add on we will get for his first international cap will pay those 3’s wages.

Glad you actually made money from the lad, means I can keep my cash in my pocket rather than in one of your buckets. I'll be there on Friday to witness the exact moment Nelms is rubbing his hands with joy.  Then when seeing Jack in action I'll probably be wishing Grant Fucking Hanley was playing.

2 hours ago, The Marly said:

We won the cup less than four years ago and finished 4th in each of the next 3 seasons. Some fucking decline emoji3.png

In the four seasons since 2013-14 the quality of our football has declined each year. It's just this year it's reflected in league position. 

Of course, absolutely just my opinion.

I know that we have a few injured and  out on loan but we actually have a huge squad.

1.Mannus

2.Clark

3.Hurst(M)

5.Foster

6.Comrie

7.Watson

8.Shaughnessy 

9.Anderson

10.Kerr

11.Gordon

12.Easton

13.Tanser

14.Alston

15.Wotherspoon 

16.Millar

17.Davidson

18.Willock

19.McClean

20.Craig 

21.Scougall

22.Williams 

23.Kane

24.Maclean

25.Johnstone

26.Hurst (G)

27.McMillan 

28.Hendry 

Some of them will obviously not be on large salaries but I can see up ten 10 them going to.make way for new signings.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee