Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Two away games to finish the year might not be too bad a thing considering we are top of the away form only league, that coveted title.

IMG_0821.PNG

We've only played 8 away games this season haven't we?

Just checked and we have. Should use whoscored.com for any stats these days, BBC is hilariously inept.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Drey Wright effect to be factored in to the last few games .

Totally agree. He’s a massive player for us. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve decent replacements, but none come close to him. I think we need another winger in January, even if it is just a 6 months loan. The lack of pace on the right is obvious.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've only played 8 away games this season haven't we?

Just checked and we have. Should use whoscored.com for any stats these days, BBC is hilariously inept.

You're right.  5 wins 0 draws 3 defeats.  Pretty poor from the BBC.

That makes the table even more impressive.

I'd say we lack pace on both flanks now.  I agree with Widge that a pacey wide player is the priority in January.  A loan would be fine.  

I know a lot of Saints fans are mentioning a ball playing centre midfielder, and up until recently I've felt that as well, but I'm not so sure it's as much of a priority anymore, given the way we play.

Our central midfielders have done a good job winning the ball back and feeding the wide players/ strikers who have been the main creative players in the team.

Other than killie away and Celtic at home, there have been no other league games this season where I've felt we didn't create enough chances to get something out of the match.  We don't usually dominate possession, but we tend to be a lot more productive with it than most teams.

Would we be able to bring in a ball playing central midfielder, who still played with the same discipline and defensive capabilities as Craig and Davidson?  Kamara/ Tansey?

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Brilliantly I’ve seen a Rovers fan claim they’re a bigger side and should be able to offer him a better deal than we can.

Should have a peek on the Falkirk thread too, they've gone full Dundee.

18 minutes ago, The Marly said:
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:
Apparently the Courier are reporting that United are close to signing Scougall.

Read the Courier at work this morning. It says Neilson "dismissed rumours linking him with Gavin Reilly of Bristol Rovers and St Johnstone's Stefan Scougall".

That'll be that then :lol: had just seen a United fan on Twitter mentioning it.

On 09/12/2018 at 17:23, Radford said:

It's 9 games and we've done it 3 times, once in the thirties, again in the sixties then, bizarrely, over two seasons under McClelland when 8 of the 9 matches were drawn! 

Top Flight Records 

• Consecutive wins: 5  (6 occasions)
  • Consecutive home wins: 10  (17/10/34 to 27/10/34)
  • Consecutive away wins: 5  (03/10/15 to 05/12/15)
  • Games unbeaten: 9  (3 occasions) 
  • Home games unbeaten: 14  (2 occasions)
  • Away games unbeaten: 9  (27/02/93 to 11/09/93)
  • Consecutive clean sheets: 6  (20/10/18 to 24/11/18)
  • Consecutive home clean sheets: 6  (02/01/11 to 02/03/11)
  • Consecutive away clean sheets: 6  (07/05/11 to 17/09/11)

The records under threat are away wins (currently on 4), games unbeaten (currently on 8 games) and away clean sheets (currently on 4).

New record for consecutive away wins set (20/10/18 to 29/12/18). Consecutive clean sheet record equalled. Next record in the sights is the 9 away games unbeaten under John McClelland in 1993.

20 games played, only Livi at home and Celtic away to complete the full round of home and away fixtures.

Brilliant first half to a season. After a decent start we had that dip where we took a few beatings before Tommy got us back to doing what we do best; being solid and hard to beat. On top of that, we've now got some real attacking talent and threat throughout the side. We currently have just about the perfect balance of well organised and hard to beat, but entertaining to watch whilst getting results. 

Looking at our results;

21 points out of a possible 24 against the bottom 4.

4/6 against both Aberdeen and Hibs. 

3/3 against Livingston

its against the top three (and Hearts) where we've mostly dropped points:

1/6 against both Killie and Hearts

0/3 against Celtic, 

0/6 against rangers

If we can maintain our consistency against teams below and around us, but pinch a few wins against the teams above, we could yet be hearing the champions league anthem ringing out at McDiarmid next season :)

Do people reckon the good feeling about the club over the next few weeks might convince folk to re-sign?

I've got the fear now that Aberdeen are going to move for Tanser, while Watt must be attracting attention. They're the biggies at the moment, for me.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

New record for consecutive away wins set (20/10/18 to 29/12/18). Consecutive clean sheet record equalled. Next record in the sights is the 9 away games unbeaten under John McClelland in 1993.

Brilliant achievement.

No easy feat to equal that run of 9 away games unbeaten.. our next three away are Hearts, Celtic, Hamilton Accies.

If we did manage it, we'd go to Ibrox mid February trying to break the record and make it 10! 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Do people reckon the good feeling about the club over the next few weeks might convince folk to re-sign?

I've got the fear now that Aberdeen are going to move for Tanser, while Watt must be attracting attention. They're the biggies at the moment, for me.

Surely Kennedy and Kerr as well?

I know they're tied into contracts, but you could see cheeky bids of a couple hundred thousand for either from the likes of Rangers, and I would worry that our board might not hold out for the big money either should attract.

I think Tanser is still a bit below the radar, so fairly optimistic on that one. Watt has tried elsewhere and other clubs might not want to take the risk until he does it over a longer period.

Ultimately it will come down to money, and we won't be able to compete with many others, but hopefully the players appreciate how good a club Saints are for them, and how good a manager Tommy Wright is at getting the best out of them.

Kennedy, Watt, Tanser must be playing about the best football they've played consistently in their careers. All 25 or under, with a combined total of about 20 clubs between them.. purely from a career and football point of view, St Johnstone has been a great move for all three of them.

28 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Surely Kennedy and Kerr as well?

I think Kerr will be gone in the next few years regardless tbh, and I'm not convinced an extra year or two on his contract would pump any fee up. We need to be looking at Calum Davidson figures though, if Jack Hendry is worth £1m, Kerr is easily worth that at a minimum, sell on fee is the big one though.

I'd just rather have a squad signed up for next season first, then figure out how far you can push to extend the deals for the likes of Kennedy/Wright. If you extend someone's deal with a pay rise, then realise you've not got the budget to keep Watt, or replace him, you've got an issue.

The more you think about it the more credit you need to give Tommy. Not only has he rebuilt a young, exciting team we now have assets. Previous successful Saints teams have had at most one player with a monetary value, made up of older journeymen and loyal club players.

Now though you can make strong arguments for Clark, Tanser, Joe, Kennedy, Watt and Wright all being worth fairly decent sums. All in a year or two.