Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just seems a bit coincidental someone, a month ago, claimed he'd be heading to Hibs and MacLaren would be headed there. 
Then O'Halloran is released and is returning to Scotland, while the Hibs supporters group accidentally tweeted, then deleted it, that MacLaren was returning to Australia.
I'd imagine we'd need to get rid of someone to bring him in. McMillan has had interest, not sure if he'd feel ready to give up on full time football, although I'm sure there's Irish teams that are full time?
Scougall, Nydam and Hurst's wages should be enough to cover MOH I would think.

1 minute ago, The Marly said:
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
Just seems a bit coincidental someone, a month ago, claimed he'd be heading to Hibs and MacLaren would be headed there. 
Then O'Halloran is released and is returning to Scotland, while the Hibs supporters group accidentally tweeted, then deleted it, that MacLaren was returning to Australia.
I'd imagine we'd need to get rid of someone to bring him in. McMillan has had interest, not sure if he'd feel ready to give up on full time football, although I'm sure there's Irish teams that are full time?

We need to get Scougall out the door first though, has there been any Interest?

26 minutes ago, The Marly said:
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Suppose we also "lost" Mitchell aswell, so that's four wages, of sorts.

You wonder if Brown would be willing to "forget" Scougalls wage, as no matter what he'll be gone by the end of the season at the latest, and use it to get O'Halloran. 

You'd be fairly certain he's known he's leaving for a while, and will have contacted Saints.

Wright's confirmed that he's looking to bring someone in and he's hoping to get it finalised in the 'coming days or weeks'. Says he's identified players in positions (plural) he feels he needs to strengthen. He's talking about looking to 'push on' so it doesn't sound like squad fillers he's after.

MOH and a central midfielder would do me lovely.

Wright also said that the chairman is currently working on contract renewals and that everyone he's spoken to about extending their deals want to stay. 

The blocks are certainly down for a very decent January if everything goes to plan. The club played a blinder in the summer so hopefully they'll pull yet more rabbits out of the hat this month.

So who’s he spoken to about wanting to stay, I’m assuming straight off the bat that it’ll include Tanser, Shaughnessy and Watt. That’s certainly positive.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

So who’s he spoken to about wanting to stay, I’m assuming straight off the bat that it’ll include Tanser, Shaughnessy and Watt. That’s certainly positive.

Before christmas he mentioned Foster, Alston and Wotherspoon as being priorities, although I don't think he mentioned Watt at that time. You'd have to assume he'll want Watt's contract extended along with the other 5 though. 

Just for reference, our out of contract players are;

Hurst

Foster

Comrie

Gordon

Shaughnessy

Easton

Tanser

Wotherspoon

Alston

Scougall

Craig

McClean

McCann

Watt

You'd assume the 6 mentioned above, Liam Gordon and Liam Craig will get offers. Easton probably will if he can prove his fitness and Hurst is a cheap back up option in goal so wouldn't be adverse ( ;) ) to him staying either.

Scougall will be gone this month I'd assume and I'd release Comrie. The only other two unaccounted for are McCann and McClean and both are young enough to justify at least another year with us - certainly if Greg Hurst gets that opportunity then they should too, seeing as they're a couple of years younger.

If we get all the players you'd assume we'd want to keep to stay and Easton is still up to it, we might go into the summer only really looking for a right back and possibly another body in midfield and a goalkeeper. I do worry about Watt though.

Watt isn’t scoring enough goals to get teams interested. Unless they actually watch his overall play he won’t be inundated with offers I wouldn’t imagine. He’s also got a reputation as well. Right now he’s settled, certainly happy, well liked by the fans and playing the most consistent football of possibly his career to date. Add in the fact he’s mates with a number of the squad and regularly drives in with them. I reckon given the chance, he’d sign a new deal. Then again that’s all hypothetical and his agent may be saying differently to this.

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

Watt isn’t scoring enough goals to get teams interested. Unless they actually watch his overall play he won’t be inundated with offers I wouldn’t imagine. He’s also got a reputation as well. Right now he’s settled, certainly happy, well liked by the fans and playing the most consistent football of possibly his career to date. Add in the fact he’s mates with a number of the squad and regularly drives in with them. I reckon given the chance, he’d sign a new deal. Then again that’s all hypothetical and his agent may be saying differently to this.

True - I worry about the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen though. If anyone is watching our games regularly they'll see he's offering our team much more than his stats might suggest. When he came in I was expecting an on the shoulder of the last defender, speedy, good finisher type. He's much more like Steven Maclean in his style of play than I bargained for, only he has a bit more pace but probably not quite as fit. The other surprise for me has been his attitude - he's had loads of fall outs and has been labelled disinterested by previous managers but it's like we're watching a different player - his work rate and attitude have been top class, he's more than happy to get involved in club events and interact with fans on social media. 

Be a shame to loss him, especially as he seems to have settled in really well at Saints.

I'm of the belief he's happy to wait before deciding his future, big question will be whether we wait for him to make a decision, or if we move to other targets

In previous transfer windows we have heard Tommy saying things like "Iwould like someone in but I don't know if it will be possible" or "I would like to bring a couple in but players will have to move on first". I know that he is trying to move Scougall on but his recent comments are far more positive..I reckon that he asked for,and was given assurances that his ambitious would be backed by the club before signing his new deal...Speculation on my part of course but I don't think I'm far off 

My thoughts on the out of contract players:

Two years for Gordon, Shaughnessy, Tanser, Wotherspoon, Alston and Watt. A year for Foster and Craig. If Easton can get fit then obviously a year for him to see how things go. 

McCann and McClean need to go out on loan. If we can't get them games in the three leagues below the Premiership then how will they develop? McClean is already running out of time I feel. Don't know a lot about Mark Hurst or what the manager's thoughts are regarding the keeper situation. If Clark was sold this month, I can't see Hurst becoming first choice but he'll be 23 or 24 this year I think. 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

My thoughts on the out of contract players:

Two years for Gordon, Shaughnessy, Tanser, Wotherspoon, Alston and Watt. A year for Foster and Craig. If Easton can get fit then obviously a year for him to see how things go. 

McCann and McClean need to go out on loan. If we can't get them games in the three leagues below the Premiership then how will they develop? McClean is already running out of time I feel. Don't know a lot about Mark Hurst or what the manager's thoughts are regarding the keeper situation. If Clark was sold this month, I can't see Hurst becoming first choice but he'll be 23 or 24 this year I think. 

Hurst that the manager knows well or a loanee? Think TW would rather just keep Hurst tbh.

The rest I totally agree with.

Edit. Obviously if Zander is sold we'd need a new number one. 

Edited by tree house tam