Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Totten for me as well, one of the final games at Muirton Park, a 1-1 draw with Thistle. 

Love watching the rare clips that appear on YouTube of that Totten team. Still hope that someone has a stack of VHS tapes that they one day upload, as has happened in recent years with stuff from the likes of Hibs and Kilmarnock. 

More surprising news from the club - Greg Hurst and Stefan Scougall have been told they’re free to find new clubs in January. 

What a disappointment Scougall has been. 

Still not entirely sure why we kept giving Hurst new contracts tbh, it was clear he’d never make it with saints. Another Craig Thompson.

It’s a shame for Scougall. He’s a classy wee player in his own way, but he’s too lightweight and for the apparent wage he was on, you’re looking for more than a few goals and assists a season, irrespective of position played. You just need to look at Alston, Kennedy and Spoony this season who’ve all racked up 4/5 goals and assists playing in similar positions to realise he just didn’t produce. I’d imagine he’s got somewhere lined up already and I suspect he’ll probably do alright wherever he goes, but that won’t be saints.

Guess it gives Wright the wages of Scougall, Hurst and Nydam to play with in January. Possibly Mitchell as well. That should allow him to go after a player or two even if it is just a few bodies in on loan.

Disappointed for Scougall, but if he's not getting anywhere near the team, then it's right for him and the club that he moves on.  It looks like we're being pro-active here, which is good, as it's still a couple of weeks til the transfer window opens, so hopefully we are as on the ball with who we bring in.

If we do as well as we did in the summer then exciting times ahead. 

I think a pacey wide player, and possibly a left sided defender/ midfielder will be high on the wish list.  I agree with others that a different style of central midfielder would be good, but with Davidson, Craig, Callachan, Alston and Wotherspoon who all can play there, I don't think it will be a priority for the manager.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Disappointed for Scougall, but if he's not getting anywhere near the team, then it's right for him and the club that he moves on.  It looks like we're being pro-active here, which is good, as it's still a couple of weeks til the transfer window opens, so hopefully we are as on the ball with who we bring in.

I think a pacey wide player, and possibly a left sided defender/ midfielder will be high on the wish list.  I agree with others that a different style of central midfielder would be good, but with Davidson, Craig, Callachan, Alston and Wotherspoon who all can play there, I don't think it will be a priority for the manager.

Absolutely agree on left back / left-side defender. We have no real cover there at all and I'd like someone more robust in there when we need to sit in. I think Tanser has many great qualities but he's a natural wing back IMO and when he needs to defend he's just too easy to beat when we face top 4 clubs. 

I'd also prioritse an out-and-out penalty box striker. We can score cutting inside from the wings, from crosses and through the middle, and from outside the box (when we have Wright back), and Watt is a superb back-to-goal forward, but McMillan is not the answer when we need a finisher. Possibly the hardest (most expensive) position to fill though. 

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Absolutely agree on left back / left-side defender. We have no real cover there at all and I'd like someone more robust in there when we need to sit in. I think Tanser has many great qualities but he's a natural wing back IMO and when he needs to defend he's just too easy to beat when we face top 4 clubs. 

I'd also prioritse an out-and-out penalty box striker. We can score cutting inside from the wings, from crosses and through the middle, and from outside the box (when we have Wright back), and Watt is a superb back-to-goal forward, but McMillan is not the answer when we need a finisher. Possibly the hardest (most expensive) position to fill though. 

With Easton on course for a return after the winter break we will have cover and I don't know what you have been seeing but Tanser is now a very good fullback as well as a wingback 

Agree with much of this post but Wotherspoon is not a viable option in the middle for me. Not for a minute.

So which club is going to come in for Scougall? We've made him available, good work, but by all accounts he's on an astronomical wage given his ability and it would appear he's actually a bit bollocks. Great work Tommy. PR masterclass. Never mind, we've got an interview with Dino this week which we can pay a fiver for.