League 2 Season 2016/17

Bit early but we will be into June this week, pre seasons will be starting in the next week or two for most clubs.

So how does everybody think it'll go?

Still a wee bit away from clubs having full squads mind you but we have a league of...

Annan

Arbroath

Berwick

Clyde

Cowdenbeath

Edinburgh City

Elgin

Forfar

Montrose

Stirling

So... Just how many points will Clyde win the league by and what month will they secure it in?

Do Edinburgh City have enough to stay up?

Will Cowdenbeath fans switch ends at Gayfield at half time?

What will the new Forfar Bridie mascot be called??

In all seriousness I'm looking forward to it, think we have a competent guy in charge and a good squad of players signed up so far. I'd hope and expect for play offs at the very least.

As for the other teams I think Clyde have got a decent squad put together but like other years I'm struggling to understand the hype a bit.

I've been most impressed with Forfars signings from the other teams, already got Swankie/Travis/O Brien/Fotheringham/Denholm and they've added Cox/Lister/Adam to that.

Seems to be a bit quiet in regards to the other clubs signings but how does everyone hope and expect the league to go this year? Obviously opinions will change the more business and what not that gets done but again it'll be good to see what people think at this stage.

Input about Edinburgh City would be much appreciated.

Can see it being another pretty competitive league next season.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at it you'll have 3 clubs expecting to challenging for the title and a further 5 who will expect the playoffs.

I fear a bit for Montrose and Edinburgh will be looking to consolidate.

I think most teams in this league have a change of winning/challenging for the title this year.

Annan - Need to bring in quality to replace what they have lost, a good team and have been up there for a few seasons now.

Berwick - Meh, need to replace Henderson, could sneek a playoff place at a push

Cowdenbeath - Depending on what they bring in over the summer i can see them being a challenger for the league.

Clyde - Recruited well over the summer and are probably only a good striker and a goalie away from a full team, can Barry get them gelled as a team ? We will wait and see.

Elgin - Lost one of thier better player in Dylan Easton to Clyde, if they keep Brain Cameron and Craig Gunn keeps firing in the goals can see them challeging again.

Forfar - Like Clyde, they have recruited well so far over the summer, Jim Lister will get them goals, Swankie a good player along with Cox.

Edinburgh City - a very much unknown team, heard they have big Joe Mbu, tbh i dont expect them to be challenging at the top end, could be a relegation scrap with Montrose, Berwick

Montrose - I do like montrose, nice place and ground, need to strenghten thier squad if they want to be competitive, good they have re signed Gary Fraser, one of the leagues best strikers, if they can get him firing and some quality in other areas, they're could be potensial.

Arbroath - For me, they have made some excellent signings, Ryan McCord, Bryan Prunty, Doris all quality players, if Dick can get them going as a team they will be a real force.

Stirling - My team, good signings, hoping for a better season than last.

Prediction - they may change depending on signings

Top 3

Clyde

Arbroath

Stirling

Battling for play offs

Forfar

Cowdenbeath

Elgin

Annan

Montrose

Relegation candidates

Ed City

Berwick

Edinburgh City - a very much unknown team, heard they have big Joe Mbu, tbh i dont expect them to be challenging at the top end, could be a relegation scrap with Montrose, Berwick

Joe has retired after this season finished.  Gutted as would have been nice to see him back at San Central!

Currently we have the defensive side of our team looking pretty strong.  In Brett and Sives we have 2 players who I am stunned we still have for this coming season.  In midfield we currently have Kyle Miller signed on and we also have Craig Johnston for some reason. 

Sneddon (Gk)

Brett - Sives - ? - Adamson

? - Miller - ? - ?

Johnston - ?

With our new manager I'm expecting some young guys on loan from Hearts to make up the rest of the team. If we can get Spence signed on for another season I'd be very confident of a play off spot.  It's our midfield which is going to need a complete overhaul just now!

It is of course far too early as its only been three weeks since season finished!

I'll predict what "issues" teams need to overcome to be successful.

Clyde - Broadwood. Opposing teams like playing there and can have plans a,b & c. We only seem to have a Plan A. Not as worried as others currently about a striker, as we now have decent goals all over the team, and not pining for the beast like others(although I'd take him)Queens Park managed to get up without having a prolific strike In their ranks.

Stirling - Their Management. Was shocked to see McLaren & co get extensions and regardless of increased quality on the park, they need someone who can get the most from them. Not sure if Stirling have that.

Annan - Defence. Oh and having a team. It's really about time they start to shift their nearly men tag, but all depends on who they bring in.

Elgin - Hanging on to Reilly. Keeping Cameron, McPhee & Gunn was good business, and their home form will get them several points, Losing one of their better midfielders in Easton will not hurt them as much as if they lost Reilly as well.

Arbroath - To me should be right up there and home advantage again will play a strong part. McCord a good signing , as is Prunty and Doris, but all depends on how influential Linn decides to be this season. Still they key man for them.

Berwick - Will be efficient and resolute under Coughlin - but can only be gauged once they have signed more players. Not league winners currently, but I don't think should be concerned about pyramid playoffs.

Forfar - Again have signed well, but good players can turn ordinary in this division. Look at Stephen O'Donnell for us last season! Lost a lot of confidence and form and sometimes that can be a hard habit to shift. If they can - should challenge.

Montrose - Best player has re-signed, decent signing in Bolo, but still to convince me that they have any ambition other than staying in the league.

Cowdenbeath - Who knows. New untested Manager, New Dodgy owner. Gang of a ground to watch a game, like Forfar may suffer from horrible closing season form. To me won't win league but may have a major say in who does.

Edinburgh - As far as I know Mbu has retired, and that's all I knew about them. Will find it tough, but beat Shire over two legs, and I never thought Shire were the worst team in 3rd Last year. If they finish above bottom, they know it's a good season.

1 Clyde

2 Elgin

3 Stirling Albion

4 Arbroath

5 Cowdenbeath

6 Forfar

7 Annan

8 city

9 Montrose

10 Berwick

Id agree with that table in my opinion clyde has done well to build there team before the new season so theyll be challenging at the top and for us hopefully challenging top spot again

At this stage don't really know what to expect for the new season but on the signings made so far expect Clyde would be installed as favourites, with the likes of Arbroath, Forfar, Cowdenbeath and hopefully the Albion challenging them for promotion/ playoffs.

Don't expect Elgin and Annan to challenge for the playoff spots like last year but you never know.

Can Berwick mount a challenge this year for the playoffs after finishing strongly last year I don't think so after losing top scorer Blair Henderson to the Albion so I predict them to finish mid table with Elgin and Annan.

Montrose don't know much about their squad but would expect them to at the vey least survive this season.

New boys Edinburgh City will find it much more difficult in League 2 than in the Lowland League, as they are no teams in this League who you could say will be easy to beat unlike the Lowland League where you had the likes of Threave Rovers who you could rely upon to beat easy. Vey much a difficult learning curve for Edinburgh City this season and we shall see how they do but I would not be surprised to see them in 10th spot at the end of the season fighting to stay in this League.

It is of course far too early as its only been three weeks since season finished

Stirling - Their Management. Was shocked to see McLaren & co get extensions and regardless of increased quality on the park, they need someone who can get the most from them. Not sure if Stirling have that.

Agree with your comments re McLaren getting an extension did not deserve one, so this season he knows that he must deliver and get us to at least the playoffs if he wants to keep his job as the fans will not put up with another season like last year especially after Xmas when the team were poor for most of the remaining season.

we're a decent goalkeeper, a couple of tough tackling midfielders and maybe another defender short of having a decent squad. There is still plenty of time to go in the close season before serious predictions can be made about next term.

At this stage it looks as though Arbroath and Cowdenbeath will be strong contenders. As has been pointed out Stirling have the makings of a very decent squad but seem to be persisting with an underwhelming coaching staff. It's hard to say with Clyde yet.

It looks like ourselves, Forfar, Elgin City (I am hearing of budget cuts and a "local players only" policy this term) and Annan will again be mid-ish table and /or flirting with the promotion play offs. I do think it's right to say that Montrose need to aim a little higher than just staying in the league. With a few more decent additions we can aim for the top four but as of this moment, we're not going to challenge seriously.

Edinburgh aren't as bad as everyone seems to think and don't underestimate the huge boost they will have had from promotion. They were a hard working, fit side just lacking in a cutting edge when I saw them in the play off. I do wonder about Berwick, who seem to be signing no one. Coughlin is a great organiser of a defence but he needs some depth in his squad yet.

But, time for a serious prediction about a month from now when the squads have taken shape properly.

It is of course far too early as its only been three weeks since season finished!

I'll predict what "issues" teams need to overcome to be successful.

Clyde - Broadwood. Opposing teams like playing there and can have plans a,b & c. We only seem to have a Plan A. Not as worried as others currently about a striker, as we now have decent goals all over the team, and not pining for the beast like others(although I'd take him)Queens Park managed to get up without having a prolific strike In their ranks.

Annan - Defence. Oh and having a team. It's really about time they start to shift their nearly men tag, but all depends on who they bring in.

Elgin - Hanging on to Reilly. Keeping Cameron, McPhee & Gunn was good business, and their home form will get them several points, Losing one of their better midfielders in Easton will not hurt them as much as if they lost Reilly as well.

Arbroath - To me should be right up there and home advantage again will play a strong part. McCord a good signing , as is Prunty and Doris, but all depends on how influential Linn decides to be this season. Still they key man for them.

Berwick - Will be efficient and resolute under Coughlin - but can only be gauged once they have signed more players. Not league winners currently, but I don't think should be concerned about pyramid playoffs.

Forfar - Again have signed well, but good players can turn ordinary in this division. Look at Stephen O'Donnell for us last season! Lost a lot of confidence and form and sometimes that can be a hard habit to shift. If they can - should challenge.

Montrose - Best player has re-signed, decent signing in Bolo, but still to convince me that they have any ambition other than staying in the league.

Cowdenbeath - Who knows. New untested Manager, New Dodgy owner. Gang of a ground to watch a game, like Forfar may suffer from horrible closing season form. To me won't win league but may have a major say in who does.

Edinburgh - As far as I know Mbu has retired, and that's all I knew about them. Will find it tough, but beat Shire over two legs, and I never thought Shire were the worst team in 3rd Last year. If they finish above bottom, they know it's a good season.

What a bizarre comment to make.  

Sorry - will re-phrase to salt of the earth stand up guy and inspiration for moustache scene from a million ways to die in the west - Donald Findlay QC

Donald has been key to our success over the past few seasons.  The amount of time and effort he has put into the club is fantastic and without him we'd be a shadow of the club we are now.

It's a very ignorant comment to call him dodgy.

Interesting Ivo. Not seen Edinburgh but obviously didn't look too bad in a one off game from what you're saying. Week to week though playing against much stronger sides... Think they'll manage it?

Just got a funny feeling bottom place will be there's.

Donald has been key to our success over the past few seasons.  The amount of time and effort he has put into the club is fantastic and without him we'd be a shadow of the club we are now.

It's a very ignorant comment to call him dodgy.

I'll concede the dodgy bit, even though its an opinion - but success and without him you would be a shadow of the club you are now? Double relegation ?

OK:)

I'll concede the dodgy bit, even though its an opinion - but success and without him you would be a shadow of the club you are now? Double relegation ?

OK:)

Aye granted he's not helped us with some poor managerial choices :lol:  I'll concede that as well!

I don't think Edinburgh will be too bad, but they'll still need an upgrade in player to compete. If players like Dean Carse are starters they will struggle.

Annan - Unknown depends on who they keep and manage to sign although I think at the moment they look like a mid table team after losing arguably their best player in Flynn

My Prediction: 7th

Arbroath - Signed a good few players prunty will be the danger man to watch out for while mccord somewhat of a surprise dropping down two leagues will also play an important role. Managing to keep hold of linn is another positive. I think doris is a fat waste of space maybe he'll become the player he was a few years ago on paper they have a good team but as we know games aren't won on paper. If dick gets them playing they should be near the right end of the table.

My prediction: 2nd

Berwick - Again like Annan lost henderson which is a big blow to them I haven't seen what their team is like yet but I think it's just another season plodding along for them.

My Prediction: 8th

Clyde: We have improved the squad bringing in the likes of Flynn and Easton will give other players like Gormley more space and we do have more pace now. Something that we lacked in most cases last season was a game plan that wasn't the default lump it up to Gemmell/Gormley we can't be doing that this season not with Easton and Flynn as you'll be wasting them by not using them. I still think we need a proven goalscorer Gemmell might be that man but we don't know if he is staying on or not. Keeping Scott Linton and junior was important for us as they were our two best players last season it will be interesting to see where Linton is playing if he'll remain out wide or more centrally which I would prefer him to be. This could be arguably fergies best season if he recaptures the form before he suffered the injury he's not had the opportunity to play with players of Eastons/Flynns quality that's what I'm looking forward to the most plus Gemmell would love some of the crossing ability fergie has.

My Prediction: 1st

Cowdenbeath - new manager untested at this level looks like they'll lose spence but have managed to keep Dean brett which shows some encouraging signs. Will be interesting to see how the new manager does.

My Prediction: 5th

Edinburgh City - I don't know anything about their team but I saw they will go with a majority of the same squad that got them through the play offs but I think they'll struggle against better teams.

My Prediction: 10th

Elgin City: Nothing much to say about elgin they'll just be bog standard elgin a good home record along with keeping players like reilly, Cameron (pen) and gunn (pen) will see them nab a playoff.

My Prediction: 3rd

Forfar: Keeping swankie was a massive statement he could have easily have went else where and adding lister and Cox who bolan knows well I think they'll challenge for a play off

My Prediction: 4th

Montrose: bringing in Bolochoweckyj and keeping fraser are the positives for Montrose but I just don't see them doing much better than last season.

My Prediction: 9th

Stirling: I just don't see Stirling doing anything with the same manager in charge although not struggling it'll be a three way battle with them Cowdenbeath and Forfar for that final play off spot. Henderson could play a big part in how your season turns out.

My Prediction 6th

1St clyde

2nd Arbroath

3Rd elgin

4th Forfar

5th Cowdenbeath

6th Stirling

7th Annan

8th Berwick

9th Montrose

10th Edinburgh

Linn predominantly played RM and never really had a partnership with Lowden, Lowden was LB and done well with Ramsey at times. Fwiw I didn't think we'd improve on Lowden at LB but think we have with the signing of Colin Hamilton.

Archived