League 2 Season 2016/17

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not singling out Arbroath it's amazing how many players we have lost out on signing over the years because we were tight with the finances and we still are.

Chairmans already said we are being 'prudent' as per usual well.

http://m.arbroathherald.co.uk/sport/local-sport/john-christison-we-were-happy-to-match-campbell-s-ambition-1-4138655

If Clyde offered Doris £20 extra a week but he had to go to a club where he knew nobody, neither did his family, where he had to travel to Cumbernauld instead of training on his doorstep, where the fans didn't love him.

Are you really saying he'd go to Clyde over Arbroath just for the extra 20 a week? Like I said I don't think Clyde would've paid any more, definitely not much more if anything at all for Lowden. Clyde as a club training wise and lifestyle wise might just suit him better. It's not all about the extra cash.

I mean it could just mean a 20 minute drive to training for him instead of an hour or so 2 nights a week. Every second week his home game is only 20 minutes away too. Much more valuable for somebody that works a full time job and has to travel instead of a bit of extra cash.

Arbroath having Dick Campbell as their manager could maybe swing a players decision too. He's managed in all 4 leagues now I believe and done a decent job from what I remember higher up the leagues. Whereas Barry has still to prove himself in his short career to date.

Still far to early to predict anything with any great certainty, so I'll keep my cards close to my chest until closer to the time.

What I would say is, Arbroath & Clyde have recruited well and should be the early season favourites, I'll be stunned if anyone else finishes above either of those 2, but stranger things have happened.

Stuart McLaren has done his business earlier and going by local newspaper reports, I think he intends to bring in 1 more signing and maybe a loan or 2 depending on what happens.  It's been a mixed bag of signings......Henderson is obviously the highlight, someone with a history of scoring 15+ goals can make an average team good at this level. McKenzie & Ferns not only add pace to what was a slow Midfield but both also have experience of the lower leagues. Hodge has been something of a stand out Midfielder at this level previously and should give a bit of bite in Midfield and Mills, Petrie & McCue are unknowns.

I was ultra excited this time last season, I felt McLaren had recruited well and that we were going into the season just as good as Clyde (who were everyone's favourites) and was proven wrong. This season I'm just waiting to see. We've retained the players I probably would have kept and I feel we've added at least 4 players with good reputations into the mix. Fingers crossed this will be enough to secure a Play Off spot at least.......will it....time will tell I suppose.

Don't know what to expect from Stirling this year. Change of manager by October is a distinct possibility.

Berwick will be mid table at least, Annan look to be going backwards going by the players they have lost and will Elgin maintain their improvement last season?

I think it is a disgrace that any team doesn't train in the town/area they are named after. I think Clyde are alright in this one though.

Don't know what to expect from Stirling this year. Change of manager by October is a distinct possibility.

Berwick will be mid table at least, Annan look to be going backwards going by the players they have lost and will Elgin maintain their improvement last season?

I think it is a disgrace that any team doesn't train in the town/area they are named after. I think Clyde are alright in this one though.

:lol:

Stirling are incredibly lucky being so central but how are Elgin/Annan/Berwick supposed to attract any half decent players from the central belt if they have to travel 3/4/5 hours on a weeknight in traffic to train?

What a stupid thing to say.,

Made the same comments about Falkirk when they played in Grangemouth and trained at Stirling Uni.

Where is the link with the town when the players cannae even be bothered to travel to the town the rest of the week for training.

Perfectly fair comment.

:lol:

Stirling are incredibly lucky being so central but how are Elgin/Annan/Berwick supposed to attract any half decent players from the central belt if they have to travel 3/4/5 hours on a weeknight in traffic to train?

What a stupid thing to say.,

No our problem tbh

Made the same comments about Falkirk when they played in Grangemouth and trained at Stirling Uni.

Where is the link with the town when the players cannae even be bothered to travel to the town the rest of the week for training.

Perfectly fair comment.

No it's not. It's fucking stupid.

Wonder what Ray's thoughts on Dundee United/Celtic/Hibs are off the top of my head. f**k their training complexes they should be training in the public parks of the Hilltoon/Carntyne and Leith.

I think Ray is also forgetting that these are part time sides, where the players full time jobs are their main focus. If the teams away at one end of the country started training locally then training would be pointless as half the squad would miss it

I think Ray is also forgetting that these are part time sides, where the players full time jobs are their main focus. If the teams away at one end of the country started training locally then training would be pointless as half the squad would miss it

In my experience, it's never a problem until there's a bad run of form and then the committee and a few hardcore fans decide it becomes a stick to beat them with!

Archived