Baby Lion/Tiger Sanctuaries

Honest_Man#1

Are there any places in Europe where you can go and pet baby lion/tigers/any big cat? My girlfriend has always wanted to do something like that so thinking of booking a trip to go do it, but not sure if it'd have to be to South Africa or Asia?

Probably would have to be Africa or Asia as you said. Doubt if anywhere else would allow it.

When i was quite young there was a pet shop in Edinburgh that had a couple of lion cubs on show for a few days from the zoo. There was also a pub in Leith (Gulianos) that had a pet Black Panther. They had to get rid of it though after it took a wee fancy to the cleaner one morning and decided that it wanted a quick grope.

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1_edinburgh_history_-_recollections_leith_wild_cat.htm

Are there any places in Europe where you can go and pet baby lion/tigers/any big cat? My girlfriend has always wanted to do something like that so thinking of booking a trip to go do it, but not sure if it'd have to be to South Africa or Asia?

There's definitely ones in Thailand but they tend to have a bad rep from animal rights activists for drugging the tigers to make them docile.

It's for her 21st birthday, so a big trip out to Asia/Africa might be excessive or end up costing me a fortune. Maybe have to think of something else!

Thought about going on a safari to see the lot instead? 

There's definitely ones in Thailand but they tend to have a bad rep from animal rights activists for drugging the tigers to make them docile.

Yeah looked at a few and definitely won't be going anywhere that has questionable animal rights records. It's more young tiger/lion cubs I was thinking of that wouldn't need to be drugged anyway!

There's a wildlife sanctuary in Malta that you can visit, they allowed visitors up close to the tigers when they were very, very young I believe. Was quite a small place with animals which had mainly been rescued. They all seemed to be happy and healthy.

Archived