Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

That's an interesting, if slightly Celticy, take.  I just thought they were looking for any sort of shite irrespective of the team.  No doubt the grey and green fans, who dominate this thread, will be along shortly to give their own view.

Not really.

If you were to take one glance at the Scottish tabloids you would see the stories are designed to either please or provoke both sides of the old firm divide. They're not bothered which, just whatever gets them the most attention. No doubt Ryan jack saying something that was derogatory towards Aberdeen as a new rangers player would be seen as gold for these guys. Look at the questions:

'How much better are the facilities compared to Aberdeen?'

'Are you looking forward to playing Aberdeen?'

'Does he fact rangers have 40k season ticket holders highlight how much you wanted to play here and not aberdeen'

'What have people in aberdeen said to you about this move'

Etc etc.

You'd be pretty naive to not realise what they're trying to do. Or do you believe journalists don't ask questions that might get them stories?

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

You'd be pretty naive to not realise what they're trying to do. Or do you believe journalists don't ask questions that might get them stories?

I don't think they're looking for stories at all - I think they are looking for dirt.  This is why they ask loaded questions.  However, these questions could go either way.  EG, 'How much better are the facilities compared to Aberdeen?' could be answered in such a way as to show how much he misses the camaraderie around the toaster at Aberdeen each morning.

I think Jack navigated his way through these traps very well.

I don't think they're looking for stories at all - I think they are looking for dirt.  This is why they ask loaded questions.  However, these questions could go either way.  EG, 'How much better are the facilities compared to Aberdeen?' could be answered in such a way as to show how much he misses the camaraderie around the toaster at Aberdeen each morning.
I think Jack navigated his way through these traps very well.

There's clearly an overlap between dirt/stories?

I think we're in agreement as to what they were trying to do and that jack actually handled it pretty well.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There's clearly an overlap between dirt/stories?

I think we're in agreement as to what they were trying to do and that jack actually handled it pretty well.

What annoys me is that there is a good story here but it's not the binary Team A are shite and Team B is brilliant dirt the scribblers were trying to get.  Jack spent 17 years at Pittodrie, was good for the club and the club was good for him.  I'd certainly be interested in his views on the change and his early impressions of being in a new situation.  However, given we're all a bit precious that's never likely to happen.

Anyway, we're in general agreement.  That's progress ;)

What annoys me is that there is a good story here but it's not the binary Team A are shite and Team B is brilliant dirt the scribblers were trying to get.  Jack spent 17 years at Pittodrie, was good for the club and the club was good for him.  I'd certainly be interested in his views on the change and his early impressions of being in a new situation.  However, given we're all a bit precious that's never likely to happen.
Anyway, we're in general agreement.  That's progress [emoji6]

I do kind of see your point there.

However virtually every question aberdeen were mentioned.

Had the questions been 'how are you finding your new surroundings', 'are you excited to play in front of big crowds' as opposed to 'how much better is this than aberdeen?' I'd have no complaints.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I do kind of see your point there.

This makes you a prince among posters ;)

In other news we pumped the mighty Coleraine 5-0 at Auchenhowie today.  Report here: https://rangers.co.uk/news/match-report/friendly-rangers-5-0-coleraine/

St Johnstone up next, apparently.

5 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Johnny Hayes every time for me. Alves is unproven at Scottish Premiership level.

Aye fair point. Bruno Alves is only proven at Porto , AEK Athens, Zenit St Petersburg, Fenerbahce, Cagliara and International level and winning the  European Championships . He is yet to be tested at the heady heights of Scottish League Football :thumsup2

Bruno Alves or Johnny Hayes. Aye its a toughy right enough :lol:

Depends what position you want to fill.

As for winning the euros, played one game, v wales, cause Pepe was injured. And last season in Italy, played in a defence that shipped 76 goals.

5 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

Aye fair point. Bruno Alves is only proven at Porto , AEK Athens, Zenit St Petersburg, Fenerbahce, Cagliara and International level and winning the  European Championships . He is yet to be tested at the heady heights of Scottish League Football :thumsup2

He's had a good career. Now that he's well past his prime he's rocked up at a diddy club looking to see out his last playing days.

6 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

He's had a good career. Now that he's well past his prime he's rocked up at a diddy club looking to see out his last playing days.

Wee Cerby thinking he's being controversial and playing to the gallery.

Just join the long queue of Ps&Ds who post shite on the Sevco threads, buddy.

32 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

His best days are gone.

28 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Depends what position you want to fill.

As for winning the euros, played one game, v wales, cause Pepe was injured. And last season in Italy, played in a defence that shipped 76 goals.

He has 90 International Caps for the Portugese national team and i believe he played in their last game. 

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

His best days are gone.

Very true. The days of any Scottish team getting a guy like that in their prime is long gone. We either get them young and hopefully sell them on for a huge profit or get them at the end of their career and hope they give it their all. 

He might be past his best but he is still playing for their national team.

4 minutes ago, calum_gers said:

What, you mean he's not worth £22 million anymore.

Well colour me fucking surprised. Anyone else got some staggering insight to share with us?

I've always been interested when someone uses the phrase "colour me f***ing surprised", as to what colour they assume f***ing surprised is?

What, you mean he's not worth £22 million anymore.

Well colour me fucking surprised. Anyone else got some staggering insight to share with us?

Ye me, he never was worth £22million, Zenit paid €22m for him, about £18m.