Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

a myth?  Care to look at the winners of the league for the past 30-35 years?

If it's going to change Aberdeen need to start winning games against the Glasgow clubs they have proved this season they can be consistent against the rest.
i was talking about the last 7 years,if teams are going to improve now is the time. 

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If it's going to change Aberdeen need to start winning games against the Glasgow clubs they have proved this season they can be consistent against the rest.
i was talking about the last 7 years,if teams are going to improve now is the time. 

I don't think it's a new concept that to win leagues you need to beat the top teams around you.

Whilst our performances in these games is lamentable it's also not a coincidence that we have an unfavourable record against you.

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You're correct about it not being a duopoly then.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't think it's a new concept that to win leagues you need to beat the top teams around you.

Whilst our performances in these games is lamentable it's also not a coincidence that we have an unfavourable record against you.

For me Aberdeen are doing all the right things investing in their info structure eg. new stadium and training facilities.
I didn't say it was a new concept just pointing out Aberdeen have a mental block when it comes to Glasgow clubs.
The fact Hibs and killie can take points proves it can be done.
You can't have two sides of the argument have a duopoly and then do nothing about it and moan about it? 

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

For me Aberdeen are doing all the right things investing in their info structure eg. new stadium and training facilities.
I didn't say it was a new concept just pointing out Aberdeen have a mental block when it comes to Glasgow clubs.
The fact Hibs and killie can take points proves it can be done.
You can't have two sides of the argument have a duopoly and then do nothing about it and moan about it? 

Well no, we're trying to compete the best we can on limited resources.  Nobody is saying we're doing nothing about it, whilst there are things we could do better I'd say over the past 4/5 years we've made a decent fist of trying to close the gap including beating our own all time points record twice.

But you drop the disparity of resources between the top two teams and everyone else as we have here into any league in the world and that duopoly would exist.

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well no, we're trying to compete the best we can on limited resources.  Nobody is saying we're doing nothing about it, whilst there are things we could do better I'd say over the past 4/5 years we've made a decent fist of trying to close the gap including beating our own all time points record twice.

But you drop the disparity of resources between the top two teams and everyone else as we have here into any league in the world and that duopoly would exist.

Using resources is an excuse,the disparity has always been there since 19 oat cake but in a sporting context there is nothing stopping Aberdeen winning games of football.
If Aberdeen won 34 games and lost the 4 against Celtic they would win the league.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Using resources is an excuse,the disparity has always been there since 19 oat cake but in a sporting context there is nothing stopping Aberdeen winning games of football.
If Aberdeen won 34 games and lost the 4 against Celtic they would win the league.

Do you really believe that?

Look at any league in the world and tell me the level of resource broadly doesn't determine the league table.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that barring one or two exceptions and the banter years, the top two in Scotland have been exactly the same?

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Do you really believe that?

Look at any league in the world and tell me the level of resource broadly doesn't determine the league table.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that barring one or two exceptions and the banter years, the top two in Scotland have been exactly the same?

Look at what Steve Clarke has done at killie it has nothing to do with resources it has everything to do with football knowledge.
If you have the right people in place the right manager and the right players you can achieve things within your means,killie have only lost 3 games since Clarke arrived in the league. 

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Look at what Steve Clarke has done at killie it has nothing to do with resources it has everything to do with football knowledge.
If you have the right people in place the right manager and the right players you can achieve things within your means,killie have only lost 3 games since Clarke arrived in the league. 

Nothing to do with resources :lol:

And with that, I'm out.

Let the **** resume their thread.

36 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Don't want to go into a major argument here but can't you see how hard it would be for Aberdeen to win 34 games of football? Why don't Hamilton Accies and Thistle just do the same.  Aberdeen are a decent side and any  decent professional footballer at Scottish Premiership level is capable of playing a blinder on his day and helping his team to a shock victory against Celtic. But over the course of the season consistency is the key and consistency costs money. For example, Neymar, C. Ronaldo and Messi all cost a fortune because they consistently play well. Some players can match Ronaldo over the 90 mins then be dug shite the next.  Celtic players currently can play at a higher level over more games then any other team in the league, coincidentally they have the largest wage bill in the league by a stretch.

Aberdeen done well beating us to 2nd spot last year as shite as we were when you consider we have a budget more than double theirs. The sheep  can't hide from their poor record at Ibrox and Celtic park as it is dismal and should be better but to suggest they should just win 34 games and win the league is too far fetched.

1 hour ago, Blue92 said:

Plus its a breath of fresh air to see football actually being discussed in a Sevco thread, albeit it about Aberdeen and not Sevco. Can't be too ungrateful I suppose...

Murty has lost 5 games since he took over,Clarke has lost 3 games they both took over around the same time,Murty has got 40 points clarke has 31 over the same period if my counting is good.
Where does resources and budgets come into it? For me there is too much emphasis on the dosh and not enough emphasis on football knowledge and good football people.

29 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Monkey you bang on about the same mince week in week out.

As do you.

Only one of us can point to stacks of evidence in support of his case though.  If you want to pretend that football success is not related to relative wealth, then who am I to intrude on the want that necessitates such bonkerdom?

It's quite beside the point however, which was that the return of the OF duopoly is not good for our wider game, despite brainless claims otherwise.

6 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

These referees that have cost you points through religiously motivated decisions, are they **** or prods. As you’ve a team full of catholics, Declan’s, Sean’s and Docherty’s I can only assume those proddy refs hate you as much as the rest of us.

Who cares what religion players are, move on Drew.

55 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As do you.

Only one of us can point to stacks of evidence in support of his case though.  If you want to pretend that football success is not related to relative wealth, then who am I to intrude on the want that necessitates such bonkerdom?

It's quite beside the point however, which was that the return of the OF duopoly is not good for our wider game, despite brainless claims otherwise.

Flinging money at something guarantees nothing,football is a constantly moving business and very unpredictable 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

12 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Flinging money at something guarantees nothing,football is a constantly moving business and very unpredictable 

Of course it doesn't literally offer guarantees, but it enhances the chances of success to an absolutely massive degree.  The evidence for this is utterly compelling and indeed overwhelming.

It requires astonishing idiocy to suggest otherwise.

Edited by Monkey Tennis