Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

This is a country that charged someone for ‘aggressively blessing himself, now we have a the judge saying you are a Celtic fan so therefore a catholic, you use the *** to refer to rangers fans, rangers fans are Protestants so your actions are based on religious grounds, absolutely mental.

I could give you a list of catholics who have or do play for rangers, every one of them is a ***. 

celtic fans. We completely object to sectarianism and want sectarian terms made illegal. 

Also celtic fans. That's outrageous that we can't use a sectarian term to describe our rivals. 

“There are many theories and much speculation as to the origins of the term ‘***’. It is variously claimed as a reference to nomadic people who invaded the Roman Empire in the fourth and fifth centuries, as a derogatory name for German soldiers or as a colloquial reference to a savage. “

“We do not accept that in a footballing context those using the term are doing so by any genuine reference to its historic usage.“

I can assure you the people using it on here are doing so because they view your fan base as savages, not because they hate Protestants.

Like I mentioned before, there will be some that use the term with no religious connotation to it and it will obviously depend on the situation.

In this instance, I imagine the fact that the offender used the term towards police while at a match that Rangers weren’t actually involved in nor could they identify the police officer as a Rangers fan makes it harder for them to argue it was a term used only to describe a Rangers fan.

Edited by AJF

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

Like I mentioned before, there will be some that use the term with no religious connotation to it and it will obviously depend on the situation.

In this instance, I imagine the fact that the offender used the term towards police while at a match that Rangers weren’t actually involved in nor could they identify the police officer as a Rangers fan makes it harder for them to argue it was a term used only to describe a Rangers fan.

Exactly, if a fan of any other Scottish team says it then it’s fine, if a Celtic fan says it then it’s sectarian, unless said Celtic fan isn’t a Catholic, then it’s ok.
As clear as mud. 

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

If you are a Catholic then that thats a sectarian slur, but if you’re a Protestant then it should be ok, not sure what it means if you’re of any other religion. 

They're just reclaiming their word. It's happened the world over, numerous times.

10 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Exactly, if a fan of any other Scottish team says it then it’s fine, if a Celtic fan says it then it’s sectarian, unless said Celtic fan isn’t a Catholic, then it’s ok.
As clear as mud. 

Just so I can clarify what I meant in case it was picked up wrong, I meant it likely would’ve been harder for the defendant to claim it is only a term used to describe someone that supports Rangers if they had no way of knowing what team the police officer supported before insulting them.

Edited by AJF

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Just so I can clarify what I meant in case it was picked up wrong, I meant it likely would’ve been harder for the defendant to claim it is only a term used to describe someone that supports Rangers if they had no way of knowing what team the police officer supported before insulting them.

The ref gets called a *** at just about every Aberdeen game. 

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

That is the reality, apart from in the heads of people who are looking to be offended. 

He must be the thickest *** on the planet. Is it only when Celtic fans say it that he gets offended, as it’s a sectarian remark? 

Just now, Drew Brees said:

He must be the thickest *** on the planet. Is it only when Celtic fans say it that he gets offended, as it’s a sectarian remark? 

There's no need to be upset Drew, you are after all against sectarianism. 

An interesting ruling by the judge which I don't particularly agree with tbh.

It's certainly become a sectarian term in the failed statelet of course, but this isn't Northern Ireland.