Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

On 01/12/2023 at 19:12, stressball said:

Clement channeling his inner Caixhina by blaming newborn babies and pregnant women for his squads lack of ability is a good one. 

I wonder if that came from a lack of knowledge of the culture of Rangers/Scottish football as an outsider. I don't think the human side comes into it for Rangers fans basically because the players get paid so well. He'll have to watch his step as too much of this kind of commentary could definitely work against him and provide less wiggle room when Rangers inevitably have a few more bumps in the road. 

Even saying that they're guaranteed Europe after Christmas in the UEFA Conference League points to a lack of understanding of what the Rangers fans want to hear even if he is in reality talking some sense. A bit like GVB in the way he's being objective and rational, but Rangers fans don't want to hear that and won't tolerate it because it clashes with how they view of their club.

Edited by 2426255

49 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I wonder if that came from a lack of knowledge of the culture of Rangers/Scottish football as an outsider. I don't think the human side comes into it for Rangers fans basically because the players get paid so well. He'll have to watch his step as too much of this kind of commentary could definitely work against him and provide less wiggle room when Rangers inevitably have a few more bumps in the road. 

Even saying that they're guaranteed Europe after Christmas in the UEFA Conference League points to a lack of understanding of what the Rangers fans want to hear even if he is in reality talking some sense. A bit like GVB in the way he's being objective and rational, but Rangers fans don't want to hear that and won't tolerate it because it clashes with how they view of their club.

A manager making daft excuses after getting it wrong rather than just holding his hands up and saying that was on me, it happens. 

Our fans can be too demanding at times but regularly playing players like Lammers, Dessers and Cifuentes etc isn't doing him or the players any good.

15 minutes ago, bennett said:

A manager making daft excuses after getting it wrong rather than just holding his hands up and saying that was on me, it happens. 

Our fans can be too demanding at times but regularly playing players like Lammers, Dessers and Cifuentes etc isn't doing him or the players any good.

Yes and what is follow follow's consensus as to why he's playing those players? Clement isn't a crap or stupid coach. He hasn't bought them or made any promises. It isn't a loyalty issue, so he is obviously seeing something that the fans aren't seeing. What are the good things those players bring? Lammers and Dessers in particular as they've been in your team quite consistently I believe. 

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Yes and what is follow follow's consensus as to why he's playing those players? Clement isn't a crap or stupid coach. He hasn't bought them or made any promises. It isn't a loyalty issue, so he is obviously seeing something that the fans aren't seeing. What are the good things those players bring? Lammers and Dessers in particular as they've been in your team quite consistently I believe. 

The rest of the league probably appreciates them tbf,  I can't think of anything.

Just now, bennett said:

The rest of the league probably appreciates them tbf,  I can't think of anything.

Fans and managers see the same game completely differently. He'll have a reason other than self-sabotage, if you can find that then you'll be halfway there.

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I know he hasn't signed them but I do find managers often do persist more with expensive players as they know they will struggle to move them on. We were doing it with Bernabei but ultimately his attitude as well stopped that.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I know he hasn't signed them but I do find managers often do persist more with expensive players as they know they will struggle to move them on. We were doing it with Bernabei but ultimately his attitude as well stopped that.

I'd like to argue that clubs like Rangers and Celtic weren't so poorly run that they would buy unsuitable players for significant fees and then be forced into playing them in order to maintain their transfer market value, but I wouldn't have any confidence in what I was saying. 😂

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'd like to argue that clubs like Rangers and Celtic weren't so poorly run that they would buy unsuitable players for significant fees and then be forced into playing them in order to maintain their transfer market value, but I wouldn't have any confidence in what I was saying. 😂

Our player trading surplus has proven to be decent so not quite sure you can really lump us in together tbh. Admittedly we generally do sell to an over inflated market though.

15 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Our player trading surplus has proven to be decent so not quite sure you can really lump us in together tbh. Admittedly we generally do sell to an over inflated market though.

I wasn't meaning it as a dig at Rangers or Celtic, more like a root-cause analysis. I could have extended that to other clubs such as Everton or Manchester United etc. I was agreeing with your general point and accepting that maybe I tend to overestimate the level of competence in professional organisations even more generally.

I suppose you could extend that and say it's the managers job to make these players better and then in that context Clement is failing which would be a view with enough logic behind it for me to accept although I'd still at this stage prefer to give the manager the benefit of the doubt if it were my team.

Edited by 2426255

A hypothetical for the Rangers posters on here as, by and large, they are a lot more sensible than those elsewhere on the internet…

What would you see as an acceptable bid for Jack Butland? I’ve seen folk try to trot out 25M+ for a keeper that anyone could have had for free or “not less than an 8 figure sum.”

Where do you guys stand on that? 

Butland has undoubtedly been a find who has landed himself under a spotlight that has been missing from his career to date. But he’s north of 30, albeit with a low mileage. I think they’d struggle to turn down maybe £5/6m, to get £10m would be outrageous 

2 hours ago, stressball said:

A hypothetical for the Rangers posters on here as, by and large, they are a lot more sensible than those elsewhere on the internet…

What would you see as an acceptable bid for Jack Butland? I’ve seen folk try to trot out 25M+ for a keeper that anyone could have had for free or “not less than an 8 figure sum.”

Where do you guys stand on that? 

To be fair if Barasic is worth £20m and Morelos was worth £30m then I don’t think £25m for Butland is too crazy.

Back here on planet earth however I would assume Rangers would bite a clubs hand off for £5 million for Butland. In the English market he is worth more than that of course but I don’t think Rangers would take the gamble of turning that kind of money down. 

14 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

To be fair if Barasic is worth £20m and Morelos was worth £30m then I don’t think £25m for Butland is too crazy.

Back here on planet earth however I would assume Rangers would bite a clubs hand off for £5 million for Butland. In the English market he is worth more than that of course but I don’t think Rangers would take the gamble of turning that kind of money down. 

I recall them demanding 60M and knocking back Chinese bids of 30M for the Huffalo (the Chinese window was closed at the time).

I definitely agree, I don’t think Rangers could afford to turn down what is essentially a free 5M (minus wages for the season so far) given their accounts and the potential to be rag dolled by Ashley in court once again.

14 minutes ago, stressball said:

I recall them demanding 60M and knocking back Chinese bids of 30M for the Huffalo (the Chinese window was closed at the time).

I definitely agree, I don’t think Rangers could afford to turn down what is essentially a free 5M (minus wages for the season so far) given their accounts and the potential to be rag dolled by Ashley in court once again.

One good point about Ashley and the mess that King made, almost missed amongst the jumble. 

2 hours ago, bennett said:

One good point about Ashley and the mess that King made, almost missed amongst the jumble. 

What part of what I said is jumble?

It’s all stuff that was put into the public domain by your club and the in the know social media guys  from your support.

It was around the same time that King declared Ashley gone and no longer ties to the club.

Edited by stressball

2 hours ago, stressball said:

What part of what I said is jumble?

It’s all stuff that was put into the public domain by your club and the in the know social media guys  from your support.

It was around the same time that King declared Ashley gone and no longer ties to the club.

You had a fair point about King and Ashley but lost it amongst a lot of nonsense, including the following....

"the Chinese window was closed at the time"

That came from a tweet by Kheredine Idessane, who apologised several hours later.

"But Idessane shot down the reports - before performing a U-turn and saying SORRY to the Ibrox club over this tweet.

He then wrote: "An apology to @RangersFC: despite what I was told from China, there was indeed a multi-million euro bid, indeed bids, from Beijing Renhe for striker Alfredo Morelos, with varying options for how it would have been structured. This retracts, and corrects my previous tweet."

When will you tell us the true story of the fee from the unknown Chinese club and why you had to backtrack on your story at the time?"

And dutifully, the BBC journalist replied: "No problem. I had information from China that there was no bid.

"I was then invited to Ibrox and shown the documentation.

"Wasn’t an unknown club, it was Beijing Renhe.

"And it was never a ‘verbal bid’ as some people oddly seem to think."

The Ibrox men also rebuffed an offer of £16MILLION for the player two seasons down the line.

Edited by bennett

26 minutes ago, bennett said:

You had a fair point about King and Ashley but lost it amongst a lot of nonsense, including the following....

"the Chinese window was closed at the time"

That came from a tweet by Kheredine Idessane, who apologised several hours later.

"But Idessane shot down the reports - before performing a U-turn and saying SORRY to the Ibrox club over this tweet.

He then wrote: "An apology to @RangersFC: despite what I was told from China, there was indeed a multi-million euro bid, indeed bids, from Beijing Renhe for striker Alfredo Morelos, with varying options for how it would have been structured. This retracts, and corrects my previous tweet."

When will you tell us the true story of the fee from the unknown Chinese club and why you had to backtrack on your story at the time?"

And dutifully, the BBC journalist replied: "No problem. I had information from China that there was no bid.

"I was then invited to Ibrox and shown the documentation.

"Wasn’t an unknown club, it was Beijing Renhe.

"And it was never a ‘verbal bid’ as some people oddly seem to think."

The Ibrox men also rebuffed an offer of £16MILLION for the player two seasons down the line.

So was there a bid or not?

Edit: I had a look, this was a 8M bid, in January, the window was closed in January.

Edited by stressball

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Talking of so-called journalists performing a massive u-turn, have you heard the one about ace hack James Traynor and the club that was certified dead before its corpse was propped up on a mortuary slab and 'brought back to life' via smoke, mirrors and a not very secretive secret five way agreement?

Edited by Squonk